Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live next door to my bf's parents who have a very small boston (about 12-14 lbs). Fredo is 5 1/2 months and almost 45 pounds.  He tries to play with her but he is just to big and doesn't realize he's being rough. Well last night he went to jump up on her (like boxers tend to do) and she yelped then when I was petting him calming them down she snapped at him. I really want them to get along and to be able to roam around the house together. When either of us are on vacation, we watch the other's dog so we really need this fixed.  Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get the two of them to just "chill" together?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I really don't know much to help.  I just tell Duke to be gentle I don't know how I taught him what that means but when I do he is more gentle with the cats.  I wish I could help.  Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Liz would be the one to ask about getting the two together.  Maybe you could try taking them both for a walk or just be around each other if they are too young for walks - where they are both leashed and under control to get to know each other rather than just letting them have a go at each other.  Give treats for good behavior and just keep a watchful eye on them til they get to know each other.  Are they both males?  That may be a problem to overcome territory issues as well.  Try to get them on neutral ground.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can't let Baby outside withe my shelties at the same time.  She jumps on them and I'm afraid she's going to hurt one of them.  So I just take her out by herself and then the other 2 go out when we get back.

Now inside the house they seem to do ok.  Haven't had too many problems.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It's been my experience that they will usually eventually calm down and co-exist, just make sure you keep very close supervision for the first few encounters.  Let them smell each other and those kind of things.  Keep him on a leash so you can correct him. If he jumps you just say no and correct with the leash.  Don't pet him when he's jumping and excited, he will think he's being rewarded for that behavior.  Gradually after more time together you shouldn't have to use a leash.  There still might be a few snapping incidents but in general, as long as they aren't killing each other, the dogs will work it out themselves.  Just becareful come feeding time.  Oggie loves to bother other dogs while they are eating and he's been bitten because of it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bella (the boston) is about four and she's a little bit bitchy. Fredo's a male.  We had the same problem when we had our other boston who was about twice the size of her. He's just trying to play but she freaks out. I can't let him lose in the house if she'a around b/c I'm afraid he'll trample her. But thanks.I'm gonna try that today..taking them both for a walk together.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I keep Tyson on his leash when I am first introducing him to new dogs.  He tends to be very overpowering with other dogs, and likes to "box" them in the face.  So I just tug on his leash at first for him to calm down.  I let them smell one another and play at a little distance.  Once they get to know each other, I let them play closer.  And then when I see him being more gentle and relaxed, I will let them interact more.  I think it just takes time.  I would never let Tyson just roam around another dog right when they meet.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby is fairly small for a boxer but she is still large compared to a tiny jack russell she sometimes plays with...the jack russell immediately exerted her dominance over Abby and yips at her when she's getting out of hand.  Abby, despite her overly playful tendencies, is actually a bit nervous around the jack russell, I think bc she's scared of getting yipped at! But it definitely prevents her from getting too wild with her. I think they just ahve to learn from experience...they will figure it out quickly.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I guess I just have to make sure I keep him on the leash at all times when around her for a while at least. BYW..Fredo is only 9 days older than Tyson. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts