Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a male uncastrated nearly 2 year old boy.
He has issues, that we deal with, (he is very nervous, has been since around 6 months old, we got a 12 week old doberman around then, and it was then the boxer became withdrawn and nervous, the doberman has since been rehomed due to personal reasons)
We also foster dogs, and he is fine with them to a point.
The last 3 we have had were female, and he has been okay with them, they were all puppies, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, one was 14 months, all small, jack russell, papillion, and a puppy rottie.
The one we have currently is a 5 month old male lab x.
In the house they get along well, out in a small enclosed space, they play well, share toys etc, but when they get into the larger garden to run around, the boxer gets feisty, and snappy, and it is not play, he is being mean.
He is very possessive over toys in the main garden, (not the smaller area), they are thrown, they both chase, he will get to it and guard it, and snaps at the puppy.
This is obviously not behaviour we want to encourage at all, and need advice on how to break this.
Any help please!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had somewhat of similar behaviour with my boy, he tends to become dominate only towards puppies. He has tackled the poor pups, stood over top and would snap at them if they tried to move but never harmed them.

I've managed to recognize his behaviour before he makes the attempt to become dominate and I've usually tapped his back side to redirect his attention to me which usually helps and he will leave them alone.

When he does dominate the puppy, I usually pull him off and make him lay down, forcing him to become submissive and let the puppy sniff him.

Maybe try that??

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay in responding. We have decided to adopt the puppy we were fostering, as he fits into the house well, and they do both get along very well, apart from the possesiveness thing.
If the puppy has a toy, Syd WANTS that toy. If the puppy has a stone, Syd WANTS that stone. Basically, whatever the puppy has, Syd WANTS it! He is still being snappy, not hurting the puppy, the pup submits straight away.
I am watching them, and when Syd gets snippy, I call him and verbally tell him off, but, because he is so nervous, and will literally tremble, you cannot be too harsh with him. There is no way I could pull him off and make him lay down, he knows when I am annoyed with him, and wont come near me! (I would like to point out, I have never been physical with him, he knows my moods, and has been skitty since we had the doberman, and it has carried on ever since)
They play, and then Syd forgets he is playing, and then I have to call them both and they come running over, so it is not serious. It is gradually getting better, if it wasnt I wouldn ot have adopted the puppy, but I am hoping that one day, Syd will stop being so possesive? Am I hoping too much, or do I just need to keep watch, and telling him off!!
Also, as an aside, they are not Syds toys, each foster that I have bought into the house, I have bought all new, so Syd hasnt been attached to them, so it is not as though he has had them first and sees them as his.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I think you will just have to stay vigilant especially when they are in the situation where Syd gets possessive. I imagine one or both these guys will be eventually neutered, not sure if that will help or not but I" sure a breeder on here will know. I have a cairn terrier, she is just possessive and wants whatever toy the boxer has, I have even bought two of the exact same toy, so it doesn't matter. LOL. When I bring a bag in the house she sits right in front of me to see if its a new toy, for her of course. They get along fine though, and I know which toys are more triggers than others. Our boxer is very laid back though, he is submissive to her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, the puppy has been castrated, it is part of our associations policy. Syd hasnt been, yet, (he is petrified of the vet!) but I am going to get him done this year... whether he likes it or not!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts