Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got my boxer pup...he is 6 weeks old and wasn鈥檛 having mums milk as his teeth were too sharp for her to allow him. Any things I should be doing or recommendations for a pup so young?! Eg sleeping arrangements, food, training etc 馃榿馃榿 His name is Ziggy...

Registered
Ziggy is very cute, where is his Mom? 6 weeks is a little young to be away from her and siblings. He should be getting some of his nutrition from his Mom I would think but most of it should be on soaked puppy food. He should be fed several times a day probably 4 small meals and you could start potty training as well a puppy has to go out every time it eats it will have to poop and will pee a lot more don't take him out in public until he has all of his shots. Its unfortunate he was taken away from his siblings too soon as well they learn valuable social lessons from being with their litter and their Mother teaches them as well so it will be harder with him. Where I live its illegal to sell a puppy before they are 8 weeks old and for good reasons. He will need a lot of reassurance and cuddling and not to be left alone for long periods of time and kept warm at all times. I would recommend he see a Vet for a health check as well. Good luck with him.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The breeder wanted to get rid of all pups ASAP as his male adults didn鈥檛 get along with the male pups so he said, he obviously didn鈥檛 know a lot about them sadly!! We are feeding him 4 times a day about every 5-6 hours. His sleeping is all over the place he sleeps a lot in the day and is up about every hour or so at night, the breeder was feeding him Asda Hero which as research suggests isn鈥檛 very good so looking for new food to very slowly introduce to him. Luckily myself and my partner are home full time atm so he gets our full attention all hours of the day. I鈥檓 aware 6 weeks is super young so want to know as much as I can to help him properly! Thank you for your advise馃槃

Registered
You are welcome I am sure glad you got him out of that situation sounds like the person who had him didn't care very much. I am sure your Vet can recommend a good puppy food for him it is very important for him to have a good worming and shot schedule and good nutrition to grow right. I am glad you are able to stay home with him all the time puppies don't do well alone. They are much like human babies they need bonding time with their humans what you do with him now influences greatly the dog he will become. These are special times with babies but they are difficult too it takes a lot of time and energy to have a puppy in the house but once they get the hang of things its all better. I know I have spent many a sleepless night outside in the yard saying "go potty" I am sure they neighbors thought I was nuts at 2am but to this day my dogs still "go potty" when I tell them too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts