Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I took in a female boxer puppy. She's a rescue and was very obviously abused by whoever had her before. I didn't see her parents but I was told they were both boxers. Now about her size and weight, when I got her she was roughly 5 weeks and weighed maybe 6 pounds. She is now about 13 weeks and only weighs 13 pounds. None of her ribs or spine are visible and she has great muscle definition . She's been dewormed twice and will be again for a 3rd time very soon. We also have her on an all natural grain free food. (Sorry for all the sporadic information I'm just writing as I think.) Is she just super petite or should I set up a vet appointment?

·
Registered
240 Posts
My girl was on the smaller side too, not quite as small as yours but she weighed 14 lbs at 12 weeks. As long as she looks healthy and is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping then I think she's fine? Never hurts to go to the vet if you're concerned though!
Have you been to the vet for shots/general wellness check up yet? If not I would!
We took my girl to the vet the day after we brought her home, just to get a check up to make sure everything was all good.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Pretty much what GhostStark said. Only thing I would add is they go through different growing spurts at different times, so as long as she doesn't look too bony and is energetic and eating well I wouldn't be too concerned. Also the fact she is a rescue and that you didn't see the parents but were "told" they were boxers, there is a possibility she might be a mix and could grow differently.

I would just enjoy her puppy antics and don't get too hung up on the weight as long as she is healthy.:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts