Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppies have been known to eat anything they can get into their adorable floppy mouths! Those little lips are excellent hiding spots for all sorts of things they don't want me to find. We bought these leather muzzles that are made for Boxer faces. They don't love them but are tolerating short stints in them so far and they have been helpful. I still keep an eye on them outside but am no longer playing hide and seek in their lips. I have also been working to rid my yard of the poisonous plants that my previous Boxers showed now interest in consuming. These little guys see a buffet! It's a project but I'm making progress. Has anyone else used muzzles for this purpose? Any advice? My vet told me she has one patient who loves to eat rocks. So maybe I'm lucky, knocking on wood... babies.jpg

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My current two dogs have been the absolute worst on eating stuff they shouldn't!! Mostly in the yard they were terrible about any kind of rock or mulch I think I spent the first 5 months digging stuff out of their mouths I think the neighbors must have thought their names were LEAVE IT! Thank goodness as they have aged that has stopped but every now and then my male who is 2 now will pick up something I am always like WTH! One other thing is toys these two are toy destroyers so the minute something comes unraveled its in the trash and one of my friends gave them a toy with a sound maker in it they loved it but crushed the sound box inside almost immediately of course I took it from them only to find when that sound making thing broke it had tons of small plastic shards inside so they never made it outside the toy but another thing to look out for. I watch my guys still even though they are a lot better about it now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My current two dogs have been the absolute worst on eating stuff they shouldn't!! Mostly in the yard they were terrible about any kind of rock or mulch I think I spent the first 5 months digging stuff out of their mouths I think the neighbors must have thought their names were LEAVE IT! Thank goodness as they have aged that has stopped but every now and then my male who is 2 now will pick up something I am always like WTH! One other thing is toys these two are toy destroyers so the minute something comes unraveled its in the trash and one of my friends gave them a toy with a sound maker in it they loved it but crushed the sound box inside almost immediately of course I took it from them only to find when that sound making thing broke it had tons of small plastic shards inside so they never made it outside the toy but another thing to look out for. I watch my guys still even though they are a lot better about it now.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Sheesh! These 2 little stinkers! They basically do not want to be outside with the muzzles on. I'm trying to make it fun for them but they aren't loving not being able to taste /eat everything. Same as you mentioned with toys. I literally trashed/gifted everything. They will even destroy the really solid teething toys. I feel bad, they love toys. Last night I bought a couple of toys that seem durable - ha! - that I play with them only while supervised. They seemed to enjoy that but I feel bad taking away but have to keep them safe. So you have a 2 year old and the other one? My female threw up 2 caterpillars one day, enough was enough! lol

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Sheesh! These 2 little stinkers! They basically do not want to be outside with the muzzles on. I'm trying to make it fun for them but they aren't loving not being able to taste /eat everything. Same as you mentioned with toys. I literally trashed/gifted everything. They will even destroy the really solid teething toys. I feel bad, they love toys. Last night I bought a couple of toys that seem durable - ha! - that I play with them only while supervised. They seemed to enjoy that but I feel bad taking away but have to keep them safe. So you have a 2 year old and the other one? My female threw up 2 caterpillars one day, enough was enough! lol
My male still has a cricket fetish he won't leave one alive in the yard once its found! I do let my dogs have Nyla bones for powerful chewers and Benebones I just throw them away when they chew the ends off. I have found a few toys that they haven't destroyed but there really aren't that many Kongs do pretty well too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My male still has a cricket fetish he won't leave one alive in the yard once its found! I do let my dogs have Nyla bones for powerful chewers and Benebones I just throw them away when they chew the ends off. I have found a few toys that they haven't destroyed but there really aren't that many Kongs do pretty well too.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
75 Posts
They kind of remind me of a fun, goofy Hannibal Lecter :) Adorable! Diesel used to pick out my wife's entire new flower plants as soon as she went inside after planting (I'd hear the yelling and come out to see the mess) Somebody told me they like the fresh plant dirt because there is bone meal in it? We laugh about it now, I would also fine green tomatoes in random places from our garden with teeth marks. I think he thought they were tennis balls... Same thing with the toys for him as well, it's amazing how fast they can destroy them (especially the noise makers) They are still fun memories!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They kind of remind me of a fun, goofy Hannibal Lecter :) Adorable! Diesel used to pick out my wife's entire new flower plants as soon as she went inside after planting (I'd hear the yelling and come out to see the mess) Somebody told me they like the fresh plant dirt because there is bone meal in it? We laugh about it now, I would also fine green tomatoes in random places from our garden with teeth marks. I think he thought they were tennis balls... Same thing with the toys for him as well, it's amazing how fast they can destroy them (especially the noise makers) They are still fun memories!
Good Luck!
hahaha yes, they have new nicknames, "lambs" "Hannibal" hahaha I understand your wife's pain! I'm afraid to plant anything new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts