Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after months of bugging the parents (I'm only 18, still live at home) They have decided to let me buy a boxer puppy. My dad's friend breeds them and is giving me about half price on a male brindle. He won't be ready for pickup until the end of this month or the first week in August. So, what are some things I should do to prepare, should I do obedience school for him? I heard boxers are stubborn and tough to train. I mean I have had my share of puppies before. But they were easy to train. And none of them were indoor dogs. The boxer will be staying at my house. I also have a huge backyard for him when he gets bigger and needs some room to run. Basically just looking to see if anyone owns a boxer and would have done anything different to prepare for it. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well Boxer's do have there uh quirk's?? But if you go into it, "expecting," your pup to be, "stubborn and tough to train??" Then you will find him to be "stubborn and tough," to train.

And even at that you have to ask ... Not, what's wrong with this goofy dog?? But rather ask ..." what am I doing wrong???" If you have trained puppies before and they turned out to be "Well Adjusted Companion's?? Then you know, do the same thing for the most part.

And yes "Boxer's," do have there quirk's and can be uh ... time consuming and quirky to train. But most of that tends, to show up at really high level's?? IPO (sport dog's/LE) or training, them to be Herder's or Seeing Eye Dog's?? (For Goodness sake???) I saw one of those many year's ago and just about fell on the floor, I was stunned!

Enjoy your pup and Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm of the opinion its never too early to train. I know some people say let puppies be puppies but in my experience the longer you let certain behaviors go, the harder they are to fix. Lot easier to work with a 15 lb puppy than a 70-80 lb ball of muscle.

Personally I liked training a few things right away. Respect open doors, the dog doesn't go out until you give a command. Very easy to do with a pup. Food for me was a big one too. No begging, no going after fallen food, no following me when I'm preparing food or eating food, etc. I did those two things the 1st week I had my guy. He has never walked through an open door to the outside, or try to take food that wasn't his. I can leave a dinner plate on the floor come back an hour later and it wont be touched he will still be in his bed( where he goes when I'm making or eating dinner). Also you can just do easy training, like, paw, sit, lay down, stay. Always good to keep the dogs brain engaged. Any training shouldn't be any longer than 15 mins and don't get frustrated. Most of all enjoy the pup. It doesn't last too long.

Congrats and good luck with the pup.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Training starts right away for sure with the housebreaking and getting the puppy used to the way your house runs. The biggest thing you can do is be consistent no mixed messages if something is not allowed then its never allowed the puppy will get it. As far as stubborn goes its an individual thing for the most part my females have been more of a challenge to me the males are stubborn yes but two of them males I had were very easy to train so its an induvial thing. They do need exercise and owner engagement don't expect them to be ignored and then be perfect dogs. I find the hard work you put in when they are pups pays off with a wonderful and easy to live with adult. After they pass two they are pretty much perfect dogs. Just remember you get out of a dog what you put in time wise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well after months of bugging the parents (I'm only 18, still live at home) They have decided to let me buy a boxer puppy. My dad's friend breeds them and is giving me about half price on a male brindle. He won't be ready for pickup until the end of this month or the first week in August. So, what are some things I should do to prepare, should I do obedience school for him? I heard boxers are stubborn and tough to train. I mean I have had my share of puppies before. But they were easy to train. And none of them were indoor dogs. The boxer will be staying at my house. I also have a huge backyard for him when he gets bigger and needs some room to run. Basically just looking to see if anyone owns a boxer and would have done anything different to prepare for it. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Hmm, by definition boxer is an indoor dog. Boxer comfortable in a temperature range is something 65-72F. I would not recommend taking the puppy from this breader. The puppy is already not socialized properly. You will have to work twice as hard to train and socialize him, as if you picked up a puppy from a good breeder.
Check this book out

Dr. Ian Dunbar
Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Hmm, well I am not really sure where this thread is going??? But unless one lives in "Hawaii??" There is absolutely no question that a Boxer is an "Indoor Dog!" That is not rocket science IE, no "short haired dog" should be an "out side" only door in temp's that dip below 32, end of story!

And beyond that, if a dog is outside at night?? And the owner is inside?? That pretty much "interferes," in the whole "Bonding," thing??

And even at that a "GSD," for one, is an "All Weather Dog," so yeah, I suppose one could keep them as "outside only" at night?? And I would say, "LOL" Good Luck, with that ... an "inside dog," and "outside, dog" are two different dog's??

If an outside Boxer?? Is the plan ... I'm out! But I am not sure the OP said that is there plan???

·
Registered
657 Posts
I certainly hope no one would leave a Boxer outside 24/7 no matter where they live! They don't tolerate heat well and if its too cold they will suffer as well so if you can't make a dog part of your household and treat it as one of them family please don't get a Boxer, as far as that goes if a life being ignored in the yard is in the plans just don't get any dog!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I certainly hope no one would leave a Boxer outside 24/7 no matter where they live! They don't tolerate heat well and if its too cold they will suffer as well so if you can't make a dog part of your household and treat it as one of them family please don't get a Boxer, as far as that goes if a life being ignored in the yard is in the plans just don't get any dog!
Well to be fair ...leaving the dog outdoors 24x7, is not something the OP said?? But reading between the line's that was the "impression" I got???

And while I completely agree with you on the inside dog thing. That is not necessarily a global standard. We had a raging debate on that one on Germansheprd.com a few year's ago.
The OP was from somewhere "Tropical," and said "outside dog." Not a very popular position, to say the least. :)

But that was there plan and they stated it well. I'm not sure how that worked out in the run?? But I don't recall seeing them in the Aggression Forum, while I was there?? So maybe it worked out?? But yeah not a choice I would make ie outside dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts