Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a 9 month old female boxer called Luna, i adore her but I can’t seem to get her out of her annoying habits. She jumps up at everyone excitedly but she is quite tall she actually Charged at me all excited once and knocked me off my feet! I want to teach her it’s not ok to jump up at people for attention. Iv tried ignoring the behaviour and only giving attention when she’s calm and all paws on the floor, Iv tried food reward and also pushing her down and saying a firm NO but nothing seems to work. Any advice welcome please

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is always challenging with boxers as they love to jump up. I've had the most success curbing it by giving my pup something else to do instead. Namely, a sit or down or place command. This gives the dog a "job" to focus on instead of jumping up.

I'm still working on reducing my 9 month old Lena's jumping up, but it's definitely getting better. I give her a sit command and praise/reward her when she gets it right. I also work on getting her calm and focused on me even before the jumping can begin.

The hardest part is getting friends and neighbors to stop letting her jump up while saying, "Oh it's fine, I don't mind, I like it." Ugh. It's easier to train my girl than it is to train the humans around me LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is always challenging with boxers as they love to jump up. I've had the most success curbing it by giving my pup something else to do instead. Namely, a sit or down or place command. This gives the dog a "job" to focus on instead of jumping up.

I'm still working on reducing my 9 month old Lena's jumping up, but it's definitely getting better. I give her a sit command and praise/reward her when she gets it right. I also work on getting her calm and focused on me even before the jumping can begin.

The hardest part is getting friends and neighbors to stop letting her jump up while saying, "Oh it's fine, I don't mind, I like it." Ugh. It's easier to train my girl than it is too train the humans around me LOL
I agree with you there! lol coming fussing is all good when there tiny things but when they turn into big lumps it’s not so funny lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would help if when people approach her to do it quietly when voices are raised high “look at the puppy”! That just excited them further talk to the person for a bit let the excitement disparate before meet and greet. This jumping thing usually gets better with age.
I have another boxer a boy called stig and he was a breeze compared to her, he’s 10 now so he’s an old chap but even as a puppy he was never much bother he was east to train I feel I’m loosing battle with Luna lol

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

The hardest part is getting friends and neighbors to stop letting her jump up while saying, "Oh it's fine, I don't mind, I like it." Ugh. It's easier to train my girl than it is too train the humans around me LOL
This is where I lost my cool. lol. I would tell people I don't care what you think is ok, he isn't your dog. I learned awhile ago, while I always try to be extremely polite, my dogs training is more important than other peoples feelings.:sneaky:

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Aww well, same old same old. First I want to say ... I "Luv," the Girl's! Something special about them because compared to the "Boy's," the "Girl's," to me seem to be much more "Pig Headed and Stubborn?" Now once you break thru that, they are "spectacular!" But yeah they will make you "work for it!"

And yeah I never "pinned down," what it is that made them a "special, PIA?" But yep it was the jumping on people and me that was a "PIA!" Tht e girl's actually take two tracks, with this crap? Not jumping on you one is one thing? But they still thing "jumping on other people is "Fair Game?"

So for "me," with my "Boxer," it was two stages. I used the knee thing with "Struddell!" She would jump and I would lift my knee to catch her when she came down on a recall. Now that would mostly work for me. But it was just was for me and not "transferable!" She pretty humiliated, my uh more awkward friends that, I tried to teach the same thing?

And aside from that, her other favorite thing was "bouncing off my chest on a recall??" OK that hurt! But she was "smart," so don't bounce off Dad's chest? So stage two on recall, she'd come fast and hard and I would "sweep my arm" in front of her before she got to me! And ... she would do a 360 degree, spin in the air and land at my feet in front of me? Well not exactly what what I wanted, but what the hell. :)

It's a "Girl Thing," I think? So stage one don't let her bowl you over? And this will take some "work," but for you ... teach her the "Heel Flip!" Looks' like this.:

Now to be honest ... I never taught Stru the "Heel Flip?" As I did not what it was at the time? And I was told by a "Pro," on here ... that those instruction's ... looked pretty hard? But hey ... I did it and it worked for me and my "new," Boxer/Pitt Bella and yep not a "PB, Boxer" but ... she is a girl and "exactly the same old crap!" That you would expect, a different look sure but "Same Old Same Old." :)

Now I don't get the "360," spin and a sit in front? WIth Bella "cuz she never got to be that out of control?" But on a recall, she will recall and sit by side! :)

But the thing is that stops her from "jumping on me!" But she is still a "Hyper friendly," PIA Jumper for other people! :(

Male dog's I think, seem to get it ie, don't be a "PIA?" The girl's not so much? I did get "Struddell," to chill the Hell out with "people?" But I loss her in 2013. :(

And it was so long ago that I can't recall, what I did? My male dog's were never such a "PIA," with people but my girl's ... it is still "Same Old, Same Old?" With "Strangers," Bella is still a "jumper!"

ANd it hard to "fix," cuz we don't meet a lot of people? If you are not a Boxer/Dog person ... she will scare the crap out of you? :(myself

Boxer people that meet her seem to say, nothing new here. But while I have not done it? If your dog has to meet and interact with people on a daily bais? I would go with a "Pet Convincer!"

Tell her "Sit," on greeting and if the front feet go up? Hit her with a blast of air and noise! I don't really have the need
myself to bother? But if I did that would be the way I would go. And it is just a "Bicycle Air Pump. "So you may already have one? Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Well I do have a "follow up." But the "knee thing ... I found only works for "you!" Everybody else is still "fair game?" And some of my friend's were "kinda awkward?" And "Stru," would, happily dance and circle my "clumsy," friend's as they tried to fend her off? It was just a new game for her? If you have to "instruct, company how to "fend your dog off?" Your behind the curve.

But this issue can be solved. It just takes a bit more effort than it should? I got more. But yeah my bad, I got wrapped up in remembering the "good times," with my Stru? But "my bad," I don't want the "OP," to think that "Boxer's," are a bunch of "jumping on people A-Holes?" Cuz that is not true. Like most thing's "Boxer," stopping that crap just takes more "time and effort," than it does with other dog's? :)

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Sigh, it's an "Open Forum." By "you," I meant the "Knee," thing only works for the "Dog's owner." IE "you!" The dog learns not to jump on "you," but everyone else is fair game.

And the "Knee Thing," is not a "Skill," that is easily transferable? You can't expect (in a random street meet and greet, to be able to do that? Much less an out of shape friend? Or and older adult with "mobility issues?" If someone is slow, or unstable (on one foot?) The "Knee Thing," becomes a game?

Does "it," work? Well sure it does, but in my "experience," it is not an easily transferable skill? And when done "correctly," it is so fast and subtle that an observer "can't see it happen?"

But it's a "One Trick Pony," and takes "more time." And time is money! So now, you still have to stop them from jumping on others. I "finally," just used "Down," for my Struddell, since it was already "trained," that worked out fine. She knew (when meeting strangers) that if her front feet went up ... she would here "Down!" That sucked for her so she stopped, Jumping on Strangers. Worked out fine but yeah a two part process, "took more time."

At any rate "if," I wnated to "address, "You." I would have quoted "You," like "This!" Just saying, have a nice day. :)

·
Banned
2 Posts
For some reason, I think it will pass with age. Right now, it's still a small dog. In fact, it's still a puppy, just a big one. And very playful and energetic at that age. But you should try to train. Start doing all kinds of commands with it. And then she will become obedient. I had that problem with my Samoyed when he was seven months old. And when he would jump in like that, all my clothes would be in his fur. So I had to look for options, and I found cleverpuppies.com. Now my dog is all grown up, and I've taught him not to jump on everyone like that. But it didn't work with my family members to wean him off of it. He gets too excited about all of us.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
For some reason, I think it will pass with age. Right now, it's still a small dog.
Well, first Welcome Aboard. And second while it is true that many "owners," tend to believe, what you stated (about (some owners) is true. In the Real World, that is not how Dog Behaviour Works?

But owners that tend to belive that ... is what keeps, Dog Trainers, in Business. As long as "owners," belive that "it will get better with time?" They will "never run out of client's? But what they know that "mos dog owners, "don't?" Is that as long as a Dog gets to practice an "unwanted behaviour," the better at it they get? Cuz you know, practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
OK, well i suppose I should apologize for getting this thread off point? As we can't have new owner's, thinking that "Boxer's are jumping and there is "nothing you can do?" I would say Boxer's are most likely to be jumper's? But it's just a "quirk," and it is not a "quirk," that you have to live with?

Boxers are quick,smart and adaptable? The knee thing worked great for me. But my Stru, quickly figured out ... "that I could do that ,but one else could?" Sooo jumping on others ... must be fine?

That is not the :message I meant to send but that is what she perceived? IE, don't jump on Dad, but everyone else is fair game? And with that, "Tick, Tick, Boxers take longer to train." Compared to to other dog's?" The stopping the jumping if done wrong? Can already put you behind the "training curve." You have had some "progress using the "Knee thing." But everyone else ... would be "moving on." And wishing you "Good Luck with your dog!" :)

Now of course that is not "alway's," the case with "Jumping," but usually it is? So let's "try," again. And this time, to stop the "Jumping," be able to get help from others by "instructing them to do, "Something they can do."

A former K9, Trainer told me about this one and employ's KISS. "If," the dog goes to jump? You extend your hand palm forward and say "NO!" They will bump the palm, if necessary but that interrupts there plan. They will tend to sit, and at that point, they can get attention. And you can "instruct anyone to do that ... no "skills needed!

And another subtle note here. The use of the word "No," instead of "Off?" OFF to the dog, means I have "committed this offense? They have already Jumped Up, sooo don't do that? "No," if "trained," in such a manner can become a "Universal Command!"

To the "Dog," it means ... "STOP," whatever you are doing! And don't do anything until I say otherwise! That is using "NO," as a "Command!" And that one yep, "been there done that," it works out great! Heck ... I actually said "Struddell NO," so much that at one point, I was worried that she would start to think that her name was "Strudell No?" But that never happened, she was kinda of a "PIA," so she heard, "Strudell No" alot. But in the long run, "No as an actual "Command?" Came in quite handy, but that's another story. :)

So that much said ... "I found this trainer on Youtube, that covers a lot of "Jumping stuff."
I don't know him but I have no objections to much of what he "advises, to address the "issue?" But I will take note that while he does mention some kind of "squirrelly anti jump harness?"

He does not show it being used or really recommend it? Most likely because it's a "crap device," and a crap idea?" No one that "actually, knows what they are doing ... would use such a thing? But I suppose it is out there and someone would think it's a good idea?

But to the OP (if they are still here?) Boxers don't have to be jumpers? But yeah I would say ... for "new Owners," that is one trait that one would most likely see?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all
I have a 9 month old female boxer called Luna, i adore her but I can’t seem to get her out of her annoying habits. She jumps up at everyone excitedly but she is quite tall she actually Charged at me all excited once and knocked me off my feet! I want to teach her it’s not ok to jump up at people for attention. Iv tried ignoring the behaviour and only giving attention when she’s calm and all paws on the floor, Iv tried food reward and also pushing her down and saying a firm NO but nothing seems to work. Any advice welcome please

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
For some reason, I think it will pass with age. Right now, it's still a small dog. In fact, it's still a puppy, just a big one. And very playful and energetic at that age. But you should try to train. Start doing all kinds of commands with it. And then she will become obedient. I had that problem with my Samoyed when he was seven months old. And when he would jump in like that, all my clothes would be in his fur. So I had to look for options, and I found cleverpuppies.com. Now my dog is all grown up, and I've taught him not to jump on everyone like that. But it didn't work with my family members to wean him off of it. He gets too excited about all of us.
Well welcome aboard but I think you linked the wrong post? What I saw was about shedding? That is not really a Boxer, issue.

But if you have something about jumping with the Samoyed Breed? Please try again cuz, Jumping is universal. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts