Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a female boxer puppy, 4 months old. I have no previous experience with boxers, and she seems skinny....
Please take a look at photo, let me know what you think.....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
she does appear to be just be a little thin. What food are you feeding here? depending on what food she is being fed, switching could be beneficial. Also you can add some "extras" to her food to help pack on weight. I added a spoonful as cottage cheese to my girl to help pack on weight, and she got a protien snack (pb sandwich) in the afternoon. you can also add plain yogurt. hope this helps some!!
BTW welcome-she is a pretty girl. whats her name?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum, your new girl is very cute.  It's hard to tell what she weighs from a picture, but Andrea's suggestions were really good if you think she is too thin.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Cuda' went thru those stages as well.   It looks like yours just grew in the leg department.    Yours doesn't look unhealthy.   As long as it is acting normal,  eating well, and using the bathroom.......your fine.    They are a slender breed anyway.   Changing food, like the above post mentioned, is not a bad idea if you are worried.

Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
She doesnt look bad at all. Just a tad thin. My Popeye looked like that (maybe even a little thinner) when I got him (and he was 4 months as well)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum...What's your girl's name? Boxers do go thru a few stages when they look refugees from a starving third world country, but if you don't see any of the spine showing, I wouldn't worry a whole lot...I rescued a female at 9 months and she looked worse than that and it took awhile to get her fattened up some. Simply by using a high grade food, the fact that she is getting regular meals will do a lot, but I do like to give them a "protein snack" as well...Peanut butter and plain, low fat yogurt with some banana,, Yummy....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice looking boxer.  Mine was/is a bit thin.  Giving her the suggestin PB sandwhich which she is loving.  I also give yogurt w/ her meals & adding boiled chicken.
What is her name?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry looked like a bag of bones when he was four months old!

Good food with NO corn and NO meat by-products will help.  Just takes some time to put on weight when all they do is run! :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with all, Foxy was really thin, I thought it was something wrong with her, took her about a year to finally grow in to those legs of hers.  Keep up with the regular feedings and the snacks of PB and eventually she will pick up some weight

·
Registered
882 Posts
Your little girl is very cute...when i got Gaby at 3 months she also looked a little thin like yours...I would check her stool for blood as there could be still some parasites in her intestinal track.  If her stool looks good you could try increasing the amount of food you give her....how much are you feeding her and what kind of food are you giving her?

Gaby gets 3.5 - 4 cups a day of Medi-Cal addolesent Veterinary food by Royal Canin

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would follow everyone has suggested and your cute little girl should put on some weight; Kiahs ribs show a bit more when she is laying down.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Up the food intake.  The suggestions on the bag are just that, suggested.  My dogs always get a lot more than recommended amounts of the food makers.  Also feeding atleast three times a day would be helpful for her to consume more.  Boxers are hard to put weight on, especially when they are growing the first two years.

Nano

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hello and welcome from myself and Chance!!! Chance was nothing but bones for quite awhile...i started a topic about him when he was younger because i worried too.....i just upped his food intake and added a little cottage cheese to his meals. He is still somewhat ribby but i think being 7 months old and weighing 52 pounds isnt so bad  lol....she will plump up before you know it. I think Chance was around 4 months old when i posted worrying about his weight as well....maybe it is the age. She is a real cutie though

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
She's pretty, but does look a bit thin.  Looks like she grew up first.  Make sure your feeding her adequately.  Most dog foods give suggestions by weight of adult dogs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My Delila is on the thin side, but boy is she getting tall.  It looks like your little on is very leggy to. The advice from everyone is great and you should listen to what they say. Boxers take a good 2 years to fill out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
882 Posts
sully\";p=\"70095 said:
Why are we bumping threads for somebody who hasn't posted since September?
Oh ya  :lol: just noticed the dates on those posts....that little girl must have packed on some weight by now

G

·
0 Posts
I take that it is hard to get the idea when a dog id lying on its side. SOmetimes makes it look worse than it is. I have a few boxers and my youngest looks a bit thin. Reading up it is normal for boxers like said above as long as there isnt a lot of spine showing.

Watch though a major part of food for dogs is a balanced diet adding outside foods will take away from the benifits of the food you feed. I only suggest upping the food intake if you feel it is to thin but I wouldnt add outside foods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts