Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering if someone on here would be able to give me some advice as to whether my boxer puppy is underweight and what to do if that is the case.
He is a 10 week old male and weighs 11.4lbs, he eats wet food, doesn’t drink much but is very playful. We are just a bit concerned if he is underweight and what we can do to make him put weight on in a healthy way (puppy friendly)
Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Amelia x
Dog Dog breed Comfort Carnivore Fawn

Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
He looks fine to me. I think Boxer pups just tend to look kind of skinny growing up? My Stru got lot's of comments on looking skinny, while growing up? Bu t I would say, if I cared to say anything? She eat's what she eats. And at the 3 year mark .. she was a 65 Lbs? Pretty big-ish for an American Line Female?

I was kinda surprised cuz I would have thought she was 55 lbs? But muscle weight's more than fat! Aynd she was a slim lean, Bunny Chasing Machine, that's what we did. Your dog looks fine to me so I'd," say keep doing what your doing ... "nobody want's a fat Boxer?" :)

Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Wet food is not a good diet for Boxers thier digestive system works so fast the wet food shoots on thru very little stays with them. If you want your puppy to grow correctly then I suggest mixing the wet food with kibble Purina makes puppy chicken and rice kibble and Royal Canin has a great Boxer puppy formula..The puppy needs trace minerals and other nutrients he is not getting with wet food it’s also terrible for the dental health.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wet food is not a good diet for Boxers thier digestive system works so fast the wet food shoots on thru very little stays with them. If you want your puppy to grow correctly then I suggest mixing the wet food with kibble Purina makes puppy chicken and rice kibble and Royal Canin has a great Boxer puppy formula..The puppy needs trace minerals and other nutrients he is not getting with wet food it’s also terrible for the dental health.
Thank you for responding, the breeders gave us the wet food and we have just been giving him that as it is what he is used to. Our other boxer who passed away always used to eat dry food. We are going to start mixing the wet and dry food as we know it helps with digestion etc. Thank you very much for the advice! 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He looks fine to me. I think Boxer pups just tend to look kind of skinny growing up? My Stru got lot's of comments on looking skinny, while growing up? Bu t I would say, if I cared to say anything? She eat's what she eats. And at the 3 year mark .. she was a 65 Lbs? Pretty big-ish for an American Line Female?

I was kinda surprised cuz I would have thought she was 55 lbs? But muscle weight's more than fat! Aynd she was a slim lean, Bunny Chasing Machine, that's what we did. Your dog looks fine to me so I'd," say keep doing what your doing ... "nobody want's a fat Boxer?" :)

Welcome Aboard. :)
Thank you for responding!
This has reassured me a lot as my boxer dog who passed away was always very skinny and people used to comment on his weight but he just ate what he wanted and was full of energy. He never went without food! I just don’t remember him as a puppy so don’t want our puppy to be underweight at such a young age so hopefully he is just fine and we are worrying for nothing! Thank you once again x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you think about Dr John food?

·
Registered
43 Posts
1st off you pup looks fine. Skinny is a good thing. Means your not over feeding your pup. Too much weight stresses their bodies as they grow. Large Breed puppy food is made with that in mind. People used to comment all the time on how skinny my pup looked. Its just that their DNA is built that way. My Boxer eats like a monster. Twice as much as my wifes GS and my Brothers Husky of the same age (2 yrs) and still looks skinny. As far as the Dr. Johns dog food. It is a UK Brand food not common in the States.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I’ve never heard of Dr John’s but my advice is to find a pet food company that’s been in business for years with a good track record few recalls ect. I lost two dogs to grain free dog food so I would advise against that. I think Royal Canin is in the UK it’s a good food. I have always structured my dogs feeding times no free feeding. They get fed twice a day morning and evening i feed early in the morning at least 2 hrs before and activity so the stomach is not full when we are out doing excersise. One of my tricks if a dog is being picky take a little wet food zap it in the microwave just a couple seconds to warm it slightly make it smell good then mix on the kibble usually works. I dont use canned food at all anymore I cook ground turkey or chicken in big batches freeze what I don’t use right away and thaw in the fridge as I need it then mix on their dry. My dogs never look skinny they are the proper weight.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I think its a bit difficult to say, your pup is still quite young, and around 5-8 months old they will have a lean look even up to 2 and that is when you start to see them fill out and have a muscular build. Unfortunately we lost out guy to cancer at a young age of 5. But I'll ry and show you some photos. His ribs never showed but he was lean , these pic are to 1 year. He was fed RC boxer puppy then later around 5 months we switched to Victor high energy, because our vet didn't want him to grow so fast and this was to better his orthopedic health.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Dog Automotive tire Carnivore Dog breed Flooring
Dog Automotive tire Carnivore Dog breed Flooring
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am wondering if someone on here would be able to give me some advice as to whether my boxer puppy is underweight and what to do if that is the case.
He is a 10 week old male and weighs 11.4lbs, he eats wet food, doesn’t drink much but is very playful. We are just a bit concerned if he is underweight and what we can do to make him put weight on in a healthy way (puppy friendly)
Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Amelia x
View attachment 137511
View attachment 137510
View attachment 137509
He looks ok to me, my female at 10weeks was 12.2 and at 7 months she was 48#. I feed her times a day 1.25 cups per feeding so 5 cups a day. And she is just starting to fill out and not show her ribs so much. At 1 year depend8ng if she is still growing I’ll slow state cutt8ng back on her food. She gets a dry high quality large puppy food with grain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He looks ok to me, my female at 10weeks was 12.2 and at 7 months she was 48#. I feed her times a day 1.25 cups per feeding so 5 cups a day. And she is just starting to fill out and not show her ribs so much. At 1 year depend8ng if she is still growing I’ll slow state cutt8ng back on her food. She gets a dry high quality large puppy food with grain.
Wow I need to proof read. I feed her 4 times per day once she maxes out on weight +/- 60 or so I’ll start backing off on the food. Goggle boxer puppies weight and it should show what his weight range should be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts