Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a female boxer. i want to breed to my cousin's male boxer.. how old do the female and male have to be be before you can breed them?

my female is 4 months old and her male is 6 months old....

she is a white boxer and he is a brindle boxer...

we want to breed them when they are old enough..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dont know how old a male should be but you should usually wait until the female is in her 2nd heat. I'm not sure how old she'll be then. I think females have 1 heat every year or so? I'm not 100% sure. I'm not too familiar with females.  So she should be about 2 when she has her 2nd heat....I'm guessing. I got my girl fixed before she even had her 1st heat sooo...Maybe someone with more experience with females should jump in here...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dont know if that was sarcarsm but..my grandmothers bull mastiff was 1 when she had her first heat and shes going to be 2 soon and should have her 2nd soon.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Meaningful health testing cannot be done until at least two years of age.  In my experience, often two-year-old bitches are still not fully mature, and waiting to breed may be the best option.

White Boxers should not be bred, however; they have a higher chance of passing on deafness, even to their colored puppies, and there is some thought that the lack of pigmentation may affect internal organs, as well, which might lead to issues in their offspring.  

I have information on breeding, and on using a Boxer at stud, on the following pages:

www.newcastleboxers.com/wannabreed.shtml
www.newcastleboxers.com/wannastud.shtml

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.  we just wanted to breed her this one time, and then i will get her fix.

she has perfect sight and hearing, and yes, she is a white boxer with a blaack patch over right eye...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
There are a ton of topics here about breeding, please read them all before mating these dogs.  I personally don't have anything against breeding a white boxer, seeing as Jessis mom is a full white boxer, but there are a lot of steps you need to take to ensure that you have healthy puppies!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
****Edited to delete my message. Don't even want to go here......  :x

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"7848":1d6iewlc]****Edited to delete my message. Don't even want to go here......

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've tried twice to respond to this post. I just can't........

All I will say is to please, please read through the links that Newcastle has provided you with. I really don't think you have any business breeding just by the questions you asked. Can I ask why you want to breed in the first place?
Do yourself and your boxers a favor and have them spayed and neutered. Leave the breeding to the responsible and reputable breeders, who have the experience and knowledge to know what they are doing. Our shelters and rescues are overcrowded enough.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why breed just to breed...too many need homes. In addition to reading the suggested information, look at this extremely small selection of boxer resuce sites. Keep in mind, this is only a small selection and this is only a quick search for boxer rescues....THOUSANDS of rescue organizations, shelters, etc exist.

www.boxerrescue.com
www.secondchanceboxer.com
www.midwestboxerrescues.com
www.boxerangelsrescue.com
www.goboxerrescue.com
http://www.adoptaboxerrescue.com/

And if there is nothing else you read, PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE read the following: "So You're Thinking Your Dog Should Have Puppies..."

http://www.adoptaboxerrescue.com/WebStories.htm
[/i]

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I saw the questions boxer2crazy asked and knew people might have issues. I agree though. I remember at one point thinking that would be a great job... to bring healthy pups into this world and find them great homes... etc. I have since then come to the conclusion that I don't know enough... and even if I studied and learned... I just disagree with my thoughts now. I told my husband that we should look into getting Odin neutured as soon as possible and he asked "... I thought you wanted to Stud him?" I agree with everyone else. Please don't breed the dogs. People here are GREAT... NICE people... this is unfortunately a heated topic... more so than ear cropping (way more).

Your white boxer is ONLY 4 months old. I've read in the AKC boxer book that Boxers with more than 1/3 white are more... here actually:

Boxers with white markings covering more than one-third of their coat - conventionally called "white" Boxers - are neither albino nor rare; approximately 20-25% of all Boxers born are white.[11] Genetically, these dogs are either fawn or brindle, with excessive white markings overlying the base coat color. These excessive markings mean the white Boxer is more prone to certain health conditions than their colored counterparts. Like fair-skinned humans, white Boxers have a higher risk of sunburn and associated skin cancers than colored Boxers. They are also more prone to congenital deafness caused by lack of pigmentation in the inner ear. It is estimated that 18% of white Boxers are deaf in one or both ears,[12] though shelters and rescue organizations see about double this number. In the past, breeders often euthanized white puppies at birth; today, most breeders place white puppies in pet homes with spay/neuter agreements. White Boxers are disqualified from conformation showing by the breed standard, and are prohibited from breeding by every national Boxer club in the world. They can compete in non-conformation events such as obedience and agility, and like their colored counterparts do quite well as service and therapy dogs.

Which I got from this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_(dog)

Your puppy may be healthy now... just like my puppy is healthy now... but I know some signs don't even come up till they are 2 yrs old. I'm sorry that no one agrees with what you are wanting to do... I hope we can all move past this and I hope the information given will help you realize it's just not a good idea. Sorry...

·
Registered
214 Posts
[quote="JessiesMom\";p=\"7849":1fcfxs9f][quote="tootsie\";p=\"7848":1fcfxs9f]****Edited to delete my message. Don't even want to go here......

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="tyson429\";p=\"7870":3kzs61jh][quote="JessiesMom\";p=\"7849":3kzs61jh][quote="tootsie\";p=\"7848":3kzs61jh]****Edited to delete my message. Don't even want to go here......

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dont know Anything about breeding, but I do know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion!!! And if this website isnt here for the purpose of discussion...then what are we doing here? there is a line between making someone feel wrong, and just expressing your opinion. I think all of you have done a great job at educating people, and giving pros and cons. I havent ever read anything hateful, or mean. I just wanted to say that! Hope it lifts spirits a little. If my opinion matters, you all have helped me in many ways, and educated me about a lot of things as well. Im sure that you have done the same for a lot of other people too!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
First off i have to agree with what both Tootsie, New Castle and Mastray have stated. Before you breed you need to ask yourself WHY?? Is it becaue you want to have "just that one litter?" or you want your child to "experience the miracle of birth?" have you taken into consideration what you would be doing to your boxer? The potential health risks that could happen before, during, or even after pregnancy? then you have the pups. . . . since your girl is white (which under AKC standards should NOT be bred) think of the potential health risks that she could pass on to her puppies even though she may be healthy now. If you do breed, will you be able to do the necessary health testing? Will you be willing to take the puppy back should there be something medically wrong with him/her and pay for treatment depending on the health issue? Are you willing to stay in contact with each of the puppies owners once they leave the home? All these things are what a responsible breeder thinks about before breeding, and does once their puppies are placed. Puppies are not "cute little eggheads" to be had for 8-12 weeks then to never be thought of again.

For example- My Savannah had wonderful health prior to her pregnancy. I have all her vet tests, and a copy of her medical history. After her litter she now has a heart murmur. I adopted her from her breeder-so it is not I who bred her. I am happy  that her breeder knew that it was not right to breed her again due to this health issue, and had her spayed and found a home for her. I feel bad for my baby, even though it doesnt affect her now-but there is no telling how it will affect her in the future. Would she have developed that murmur if she would have never been bred? Not sure-all that can be said at this time is she was healthy prior to her litter. The breeder did also state that she had a few issues with delivering her pups-no vet visit needed, but had a hard time with it. I have full registration for Reese, but am setting up an appointment to have her spayed in about a month. I dont want to put her though anything.

I am sorry for the long post guys-i just feel that there are too many byb and irresponsible "breeders" out there, no use adding to the population of dogs that could end up in shelters. Just be fully educated on the subject before you make a decision. they are young-puppies still. your girl is roughly the same age as Reese and i couldnt imagine even discussing breeding her at such a young age. Best of luck which ever way you go.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The only persuasive argument I can possibly add at this point, is the majority of good breeders will lose money breeding, not gain from the sale of the pups.

From the care of the pregnant mom, to birthing costs, problems that may arise with the mother or the pups, care of the pups, shots ect ect ect normally do not add up to the money you make from the puppies.

Granted I've read this on a few websites, so the info could be wrong or whatnot, but who really wants to risk losing money, losing puppies, or losing the mother, if there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Along with all the potential health risks for the puppies born of a white parent and your dog, having puppies is not an easy task.  The last litter I raised many years ago consisted of six puppies that needed to be weaned off the mother at three days of age due to her having eclampsia.  Now if that won't make you think twice about breeding, nothing else will.  Did you know that puppies that young cannot urinate or defecate on their own without stimulation?  That they need this done and need to be fed atleast every three hours by you, the now mother?  That this process takes a lot of commitment and time and energy out of your life those first few weeks, not to mention the weeks after that till weaning (off you) at 8 weeks?  It is good to really think about this before breeding.

I won't even get into the health issues out there.  I only support breeders who thoroughly health test their boxer parents.  I have my THIRD HEART PROBLEM BOXER IN A ROW! Can anyone top that?  I hope not!  I have notified the breeder of my latest dog and received no response.  Not even an "I'm sorry to hear that."  Really conciensious................like she claims......and the two I had prior to him,  got them both from the same breeder, unrelated parents, supposedly consciencious and same response upon me notifying them.  Nice way to break peoples hearts over a buck!  It's not just about me, but about the other people who bought puppies from them and are unaware.

Nano

1 - 20 of 40 Posts