Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Boxer rescue question

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  samsonsmom 
#1 ·
Hi Im new to this forum but not new to boxers.  I currently have a 6 yr old male named Doc and I am considering adopting a female.  She is grown (about 2) and does not have any big issues but she was adopted before by a couple with a 7 week old baby and evidently she growled 2 times when the baby cried.  Now, she didnt snap, bark, or show any other signs of aggression but did growl.  Have you ever had any experience with this?  I am concerned because I do have a 18 month old daughter and 2 older sons.  The other family did have a 3 yr old and she was wonderful with her.  I have had many boxers in my lifetime and feel that I am a strong enough person to take on training another boxer but don't want to put my children in harms way.  A newborn cry is very different and primal than a older child crying.  I just wonder if it scared her or she just didnt know what it was.  

We are literally the last chance this sweet dog has.  

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

#2 ·
It's so hard to tell with a growl. As you probably know already, boxers growl when they play, when they are mad, and when they are startled. Who knows what the circumstance was. Me, personally, wouldn't worry too much. You already know that the dog was fine with the 3 year old. There is a big, big, difference between the 3 y/o and the 7 week old. Plus your 18 month old is already used to being around dogs, so everything should be okay. If you do adopt this 2 year old, I would just observe very closely how she interacts with your children and also with your other dog. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Welcome to the forums!  :)

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!  I'm sure you will find a few of us here that will be of much help with your questions.  Unfortunately, I am not one of them.  We did rescue but he was much younger than what you are considering and we do not have small children.

I wish you luck in your decision and I am glad you are considering rescue first!

#4 ·
I'm with Tootsie on this. I think she will be fine. You can arrange to have her "meet" your family and see how she does with everyone..That's what a rescue would do if they were adopting out a dog....Is your male neutered? How about the female, is she spayed?

Let us know what you decide, sounds like this little girl needs a home, huh? How sad....One growl, doesn't mean something bad, I think they may be over reacting, but I could be wrong....

#5 ·
Well, we went to let the entire family meet her today.  I tell you it is so sad what people do to our boxers...anyway.  

She is a wonderful girl.  She has some manners issues which can be worked through quickly with a little training but overall she is a young (1 yr) boxer in need of a home.  She is heartworm positive but its not a bad case and the shelter will be treating her in the next 2 weeks.  She and Doc just instantly bonded and after running around for a few minutes was just fine with all of us, including kids.  She ignored the kids (which is what you want) and when Doc relaxed she did too and just sat at my feet.  We spent about 1 1/2 with her and I feel so strongly that we made the right decision to get her.  

Poor baby has been in and out of the shelter for 5 months and when I left she just looked at me like "I am coming home with you right?"  Broke my heart.  

Thank you all for helping me with this decision, you all really helped put my stupid fears aside.  

PS:  Doc has been neutered since he was a puppy and so is she.

#7 ·
Congratulations!! I can't wait to see pictures. Oh, and I don't think you had "stupid fears". I think you had very viable concerns. I'm glad the family and Doc bonded with her quickly. Does she have a name yet? When do you get to bring her home? I'm so happy for you, and kudos to you for going the rescue route!  :clap:

#8 ·
I am grinning from ear to ear....Oh I love hearing stories like that...Having rescued 2 of my 4 boxers, I'm a huge fan of rescue and going to a shelter, breaks my heart. I want to take them all home...She sounds like a sweetheart that just needs someone to spend some time with her and having a big brother, sure doesn't hurt......

I am soo happy for all of you...I know you can't wait to bring her home...What are you naming her? Or does she have a name already? As Tootsie said, I don't think your fears were silly, it's better to ask a lot of questions beforehand than later..

#9 ·
She already has a name (Brinn) and she seems to know it, and I like it too.  I found her on Petfinder and its a shelter about a hour and a half from here.  This shelter is really amazing and very strict.  They are a kill shelter but I dont think they have a high rate of animals they put to sleep.  

I have wanted to rescue a boxer for literally the past 4 years.  I had always looked at regular Boxer rescue sites and not really shelters until Brinn.  

A little more on her story is that when the family brought her back for the 2nd time (because she growled) the local Boxer rescue wouldnt take her back because of this.  Which is really sad.  I can understand but its very dissappointing at the same time.  

The first person who adopted her (animal control officer) kept her for 1 night, left her outside alone all night and she climbed the fence.  You just can't do that with dogs, especially boxers.  

I like to think its meant to be that she come home with us and its been a long, hard road for her but at least it has a good ending.  

Here is a pic of Doc and I will post pictures later on, she is a very small girl and is in need of some good food.  

#11 ·
What a wild life that little girl has had, but yes I do believe she was meant to come home with you...I am surprised that the boxer rescue wouldn't take her tho..The people that I know that are involved have taken in much worse than that...But Like you said, it was obviously meant to happen the way it did...And with such a happy ending  :)

Your Doc is a handsome boy, by the way, can't wait to see more pictures of him and his new little sis....I like the name she has, Brinn, that's pretty

#13 ·
Im so excited to tell you guys that I am going to get Brinn this afternoon and bring her home.  The vet said she looks good after her heartworm treatments earlier in the week and we can take her home anytime.  

After a stop at Petco for a collar, bed and toy we are headed home!!

#17 ·
It is really sad that the boxer rescue wouldn't take her because she growled.

#19 ·
Hi all!  I hope you have had a great week and I just wanted to let everyone know how our first week has gone.

Brinn couldnt be a better dog.  My husband and I are SHOCKED that she was brought back to the shelter 2 times.  They obviously were not doing it because of her, but their own stupid reasons.  

She has not growled at anything but the mean neighbor in the yard behind us.  You can tell that all of her self esteem has been shot to heck and we are trying to rebuild it.  Other than that she is the perfect dog, housetrained, doesnt jump, easy with kids, not hyper.  The only incident was with our mean cat and Brinn "yelled" at her because she scratched her.  (It was pretty funny)  

Here are some of the pictures, she has to be either beside me or Doc all the time.  She is getting more secure and more of her puppy side is finally showing.  She is just such a great dog!!

#21 ·
That is the best news..I'm with you tho, I just couldn't understand why she was ending up back at the shelter so much. Just didn't seem right...She looks great and I loved the pictures, esp the one of her & Doc sleeping next to each other....Reminds me of one I took of Samson & Angel....

I also agree with what Mom2scout& gunner said, they are like Lays potato chips,,,lol....can't have just one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.