Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some general questions about boxer rescue.  Before we chose Jaxon, we first visited 5 different animal shelters within an approximate 60 mile radius of our home.  We had full intentions of adopting a boxer.  We were disappointed when we would get to the shelters and either the boxers they advertised were definitely not any bit a boxer or the shelter itself was questionable.  Our sheltie is 9 years old.  She's in good health, but she has some family history that keeps us alert to her health.  She is the last of her litter alive, five of her siblings died suddenly from apparent heart conditions between 3 and 7 years old.  Only one died from accidently circumstances.  Her mother also died suddenly within two years after she was whelped.  We would like to look into boxer rescue but we will not be adopting while Bayla is still alive, so *hopefully* it will NOT be soon.  Where should I look for a rescue and what should I be looking for in them?  I'm just starting some research on rescues so any advice would be appreciated.  I have not ruled out one shelter near me.  As for the ones we visited before Jaxon, I would love to pack up all their animals and take them home, of course I couldnt' afford to, but what we saw visiting a "shelter" was appauling, I'm not sure I could go through that again.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have asked this also...should I fill out an application now even if I'm not looking to adopt in the near future?

I will look into Ohio too as I am close to the Ohio border.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to fill out your application now, some rescues do home visits, so it may take awhile to get all that done, plus explain fully what your plan is, why you want to wait etc, and what you are looking for in a second boxer, male/female, etc...The rescues work hard to match the best boxer to you as they want it to be a forever home...To find the rescues, just Google boxer rescues and you should get some hits.....Good luck and let us know how it all turns out...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
American Boxer Rescue has affiliate members and the areas where they will adopt.  They have pretty strict guidelines in order to be a member.

http://www.abra.rescuegroups.com/info/d ... ageID=2592

I know where I rescued the adoption papers were only good for 90 days, then you had to renew your application.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much.  The only thing I would question wouldn't meet some rescues' requirements is we don't have a fenced yard.  I'm not sure how strict they are on that but I'm sure I'll find out :)  Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I adopted through a rescue and I don't have a fence. I think it just really matters to whoever does the home visit. If everything else checks out, the fence shouldn't be a problem at all. Good Luck.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Where I adopted Samson from, they prefer fenced yard, altho when I read the fine print, it did say, they make exceptions, but each rescue is different, so don't panic....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts