Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

My boxer is 5 months old and just over 50 pounds, jut wondering if this is a normal size for males at this age. He has huge paws I think he is going to be big. If I get him fixed at 6 months will this stunt growing?

p.s. I have to figure out how to show pictures of him on here?

·
Registered
94 Posts
When my Rocko was five months he was right around 45-50 pounds. He's 11 months (in a week and half actually) now and is over 60 pounds. I haven't had him weighed in a while so I wouldn't be surprised if he was even more than that. I can hardly pick him up but my max dead weight lift is about 60 pounds anyways. Rocko is not neutered so I couldn't tell you if that will stunt his growth or not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
He sounds pretty big :) My guy is 6 months old and 40 lbs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This question comes up quite often. Boxers, grow at different rates. The rule of thumb is that height wise they are fully grown between 12 and 14 Months, some however will grow faster. From a body mass point of view it can take up to 24 months or even 36 months before a boxer is fully developed.

Our male has grown very fast over the last few months. At six months he was 23 inches, at seven months he was 24 inches, at eight months (last week) he was just over 25 inches. So from a height perspective he is already fully grown. At eight months he now weighs 62 lbs, but you can still see his ribs. You should still be able to see a boxers ribs no mater how old they are. If you cant see them, then he may be somewhat over weight.

Hope that helped a little.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Dont have him neuter early...not good.

I'd wait till he's 12 to 18 months...but that is just me.

5 months 50 lbs that is a lot!

As far as the rib thing goes,i dunno...ever met mr muscles?

I assure you,its no fat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brock is not the tallest boxer. He is 24 inches at the withers, and weighs around 82lbs. In addition, his ribs are visible and easy to feel. The most he ever weighed was 88lbs, but his ribs were not as visible and I was feeding him food that was not grain-free. My switch over to a non-grain food gave him more energy and made him more ripped up. In addition, he had more stamina to run around in the backyard which I think contributed to the loss in fat. Overall, Brock has a very big head and his bone structure seems to be larger than most boxers that I have come across. As far as growth, he didn't completely fill out until he was about 24 months old. At five months Brock was in the 40-45 pound range. My guess would be that your dog would be anywhere from 75 to 85 pounds at maturity.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sounds good to me my boxer is small.. he may have been the runt.. hes about 14 months and just about 40 lbs.. but hes solid muscle lol... i hear if u neuter them around 9 months is a good time so it doesnt immasculate them..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, yes I can see Tigger's ribs he also goes through periods when he is really picky with food and won't eat alot but I have talked to others with boxers and learned they can be like this with food. But as long as my puppy is healthy and happy is all I care about

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
sounds good to me my boxer is small.. he may have been the runt.. hes about 14 months and just about 40 lbs.. but hes solid muscle lol... i hear if u neuter them around 9 months is a good time so it doesnt immasculate them..
He doesn't really look like he's only 40 lbs, though. He does look really good to me!! :) My male is 2 and he's 58 pounds. I wish he weighed more since my female is 65 lbs, the moose! LOL.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the same about gatorbug he has huge paws and weigh 20 when we got him he is 40 and will be 5 months he is averaging 10 lbs a month. We will see. My older one 11 yrs. is 61, he was the runt and gets mistaken for a girl all the time. He has been 50lbs forever- the past 10 years and has gained 11 pounds since we got the pup!

·
Registered
106 Posts
He doesn't really look like he's only 40 lbs, though. He does look really good to me!! :) My male is 2 and he's 58 pounds. I wish he weighed more since my female is 65 lbs, the moose! LOL.
let me tell u he doesnt feel it either!! but he just went to the vet and hes 39 and some change... little guy :tomato: but it sure makes it easier when hes trying to cuddle in bed! lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
You never know for sure...growth rate as stated in several threads around the forums can be hugely different from one dog to the other.

Some grow fast,some slow...rule of thumb is slow is best for bones and joints.

Reactions: Johndhowton

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
More pics of the 50lbs egghead please!!!

:clap:

·
Registered
41 Posts
thats pretty big for 5 months, he must have a big gene in him or eat like a horse.

my Lola is around 50 lbs @ just over 10 months...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello,

My boxer is 5 months old and just over 50 pounds, jut wondering if this is a normal size for males at this age. He has huge paws I think he is going to be big. If I get him fixed at 6 months will this stunt growing?

p.s. I have to figure out how to show pictures of him on here?
Marvy was 70# @7 months, 98#@one , and at 4.5y he's a solid tall no fat 126#.
Dog Carnivore Working animal Collar Dog breed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts