Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What skin issues do your boxers have?
Are there any skin issues that boxers commonly have?? Do any of you have any experience with your pups having skin issues??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
What skin issues do your boxers have?
Are there any skin issues that boxers commonly have?? Do any of you have any experience with your pups having skin issues??

I read your other post with the bump photo, and it seems to be focused on the fear of the dark. You have some good advice for that it looks like.

Boxers are prone to many cancers, so there are different bumps they can get on them. I haven't seen any like you had- to me that looks kind of like a pocket of puss, but if she's seeing a vet, they should have seen this.

We have had three skin issues.

Two of our boys- both with mostly white paws and legs lick their feet a lot. They will lick them until they are red sometimes, so we have them on medication for this. Since all 3 don't do it, it does not appear environmental- but we are still trying to find the root cause (food, detergent...).

Jax, brindle, had a bump on his ear last December- it looked like a wart, but ended up being a benign tumor. They removed it and he's been OK since- so far, statistically it is probable he will have more.

Tundra, fawn, his litter mate, had a bump on his side around the same time, but the vets thought is was a different type of bump that would go away. They measured it and we watched it, and over the next couple of months, it went away.

I hope things are improving for your baby!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I read your other post with the bump photo, and it seems to be focused on the fear of the dark. You have some good advice for that it looks like.

Boxers are prone to many cancers, so there are different bumps they can get on them. I haven't seen any like you had- to me that looks kind of like a pocket of puss, but if she's seeing a vet, they should have seen this.

We have had three skin issues.

Two of our boys- both with mostly white paws and legs lick their feet a lot. They will lick them until they are red sometimes, so we have them on medication for this. Since all 3 don't do it, it does not appear environmental- but we are still trying to find the root cause (food, detergent...).

Jax, brindle, had a bump on his ear last December- it looked like a wart, but ended up being a benign tumor. They removed it and he's been OK since- so far, statistically it is probable he will have more.

Tundra, fawn, his litter mate, had a bump on his side around the same time, but the vets thought is was a different type of bump that would go away. They measured it and we watched it, and over the next couple of months, it went away.

I hope things are improving for your baby!
Had the same thing with Zuke. Especially if the top of the nail becomes a slightly reddish/brown color, its most likely fungal caused by yeast. I found out that dogs who go to the beach a lot (Zuke) are very susceptible, but can also happen to any dog. I just use a 50/50 of apple cider vinegar & water and it clears it up, and then do one day of maintenance a week after it clears up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It’s very obvious that my Ethel has allergies weather it’s food or environmental I’m not sure she got a shot almost 2 weeks ago called CYTOPOINT. As she is to young for apoquel. And took her bravecto for the next 12 weeks! I think the bump was a puss pocket for sure! I’m just at a loss as she still has red spots all over her belly. I though maybe it could be demodectic (sp?) mange? But then again wouldn’t the bravecto help with that? Her itching has stopped completely but she’s still biting at her feet which I’ve noticed her nails seemed to be turning brown! They did give me antibiotic/antiseptic wipes to use on her feet armpits and ears. Ive been trying to research as much i can. I feel like my vet is almost annoyed with me because my most recent visit I had so many concerns and questions she’s obviously has/had a lot of issues.
I am so grateful for everyone on this forum I have learned so much!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the same thing with Zuke. Especially if the top of the nail becomes a slightly reddish/brown color, its most likely fungal caused by yeast. I found out that dogs who go to the beach a lot (Zuke) are very susceptible, but can also happen to any dog. I just use a 50/50 of apple cider vinegar & water and it clears it up, and then do one day of maintenance a week after it clears up.

So you do the 50/50 water apple cider vinegar once a week? Or should I do it multiple times until it clears up and then follow up with once a week maintenance?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
So you do the 50/50 water apple cider vinegar once a week? Or should I do it multiple times until it clears up and then follow up with once a week maintenance?

I believe the original recipe is 1 cup of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar added to a gallon of water. I tried that and it didn't have much effect, so I went with 50/50. I would start with the 1 cup per 1 gallon and see how it goes.

I did it every morning until it went away. I used a spray bottle, but if you can have her place her paw in a bowl of the solution, that would work too. Once it went away I do it once a week as maintanence. Make sure she doesn't have any cuts or open sores on her paws, because then it could be very painful. Also if you take her out in the rain, wet grass, etc. always try to dry off her paws when she gets inside.

I also read that a diet that has a high level of carbohydrates can also be a cause of this problem, so try to stick with a lower carb food.

If you google fungal/yeast infection on dogs paws, you might find a bit more info. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts