Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of us look at our dogs and wonder if their nose is long or if they have the ideal standard head.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hanna,  Which standard is correct?  Worldwide boxer states that the nose is to be half the length measured from where you state, but the ABC states what you said.  I always went with ABC standards.

Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Hanna,  I just reread the WWB standard and don't know what I was thinking.  It is 1:3  My Bad or a brain fart.

Scott

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no, everything confuses the heck out of me.   Diagrams make things a lot easier to understand than read and try to interpret!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now that makes it very easy to see and understand Heather...Have to try that with Angel and see how she measures up :) Thanks for that

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Cool, I have always wondered also.  Now I can do Kiah's to see where she is.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hanna,  Which standard is correct?  Worldwide boxer states that the nose is to be half the length measured from where you state, but the ABC states what you said.
It can get a little confusing, because both a fraction and a ratio are often used, and the fraction can differ depending on what you're comparing.   The muzzle is 1/3 the length of the entire head (occiput to nose) and is 1/2 the length of the skull (occiput to stop).  The correct muzzle-to-skull ratio in all standards is 1:2; many Continental dogs have a ratio closer to 1:3 (or, a muzzle that is 1/4 the length of the entire head).

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's the European version! But his nose is so short he's probably about 1:4!! Poor Voltaire - i still love my ugly duckling :wink:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd say that most boxers today (or at least most with what most consider to have "pleasing headpieces") are closer to the thirds rule. And the ones who's muzzles are closer to what our standard calls for have noses that aren't set far enough back to allow them to breathe while holding.

My girl Mia is also closer to 1:3. I wouldn't want to go any shorter, but I'm not sure that I'd consider her head to be pleasing if she were closer to 1:2 either.

(Would find a closer and cropped version of this photo, but I'm feeling lazy today. ;) )

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Annette, shame on you for calling Voltaire your ugly duckling.....I'll take him anytime  :) Jess, Mia is absolutely lovely  :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts