Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Dash at 2 mths , he s now 14mths old , super friendly but also too much energy to allow him to play wth strangers.......we re being challenged repeatedly on his walks out by a stray n I'm not sure wht Dash is feeling except he hasn't barked back yet ....Any advice on how to handle the situation ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would try to avoid that area if I could because not only is the stray trying to go after you and your dog but he may incite your dog to react in a negative way making him difficult to walk around other dogs in different places you may wish to go you really don't want him learning aggressive behavior and he may start to think that all dogs are going to react to him that way and he may start to react in kind so try to keep your walks in positive places for him plus the stray in question probably has never been vaccinated so its for your safety too.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Yep, as was stated "avoidance" is the best course of action! But ... I'm gonna "guess" this dog is close to your home???

If it's a one off deal?? No big deal but if it's a dog you encounter all the time and no owner present?? That's a little bit different. So what is the deal here?? And for the record right now under these circumstances ... your dog is doing fine, :)

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
If this dog is near your home, I would call your animal control to have it removed. Boxers have loads of energy :) you could also invest in a treadmill to help burn off some of that energy. Playing games where he needs to use his brain will also help.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
On the other hand ... if this dog is truly a stray?? Being a true "Bleeding Heart Liberal" and stuff ... I would try and "rescue him."

On a "Midnight night walk one time" Rocky was lagging behind" me in the darkness (off leash) ... Black GSD at night so yeah ... good luck seeing him. :)

Anyway I/we came across a lost Pit?? I had never seen that dog before and he was clearly lost?? I approached and he seemed friendly?? I called to him, and all was going well?? He was coming towards to me in a friendly manner and all seemed good?? Then Rocky appeared ... out of the dark behind me?? And the Dog changed?? He started to bark a challenge?? And that pissed Rocky off!

The pit turned aggressive??? And I was in the middle ... WTH?? I felt that my Rocky was the biggest threat?? And I turned my back on the Pit to block Rocky?? No big deal?? But I was stunned ... when Rocky tired to get by me to get to that dog??? I had never seen that before?? So I had to block Rocky??

In order to stop him from getting to the Pit?? That had never happened before ... but Rocky did take threat's to me uh ... very seriously! Aww well the unknown Pit ... apparently thought we were both crazy??? And just disappeared back into the night?? Sigh I was kinda ticked .off at Rocky ... and I hope the unknown Pit managed to find his way home???

Not directly to the point I suppose?? So you know just saying. :)

Had Rock been on a leash next to me ... I'm pretty sure I could have gotten him? (the Pit)? But ... I'll never know?? Not exactly any kind of an answer here to be sure. So just saying, that stray might be a dog in need of help ... but I don't know???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts