Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone on here from ohio?I am curious if there is a vet in central ohio that specializes in Boxers?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am not in Ohio but that sure sounds like the perfect job to specialize in boxers.  :D

Although there are generic veterinarians for several purposes, there are different kinds of specializations.

Examples include dentistry, chiropractic, dermatology, pharmacology, and ophthalmology.  

Although a pet doctor may choose to specialize in general care, usually they

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol......I guess I should have been a little more specific.When I had English Bulldogs,my wife and I were having a hard time finding vets in the area that had alot(more than just common knowledge)of knowledge about the breed.Finally after several conversations with other English Bulldog owners we were turned on to a vet that was very knowledgable about the breed.Even though we had to drive to another county(about an hour drive)it was worth it to me.I was wondering if this was going to be a problem with boxers.Right now I have Jakes first appointment scheduled with the same vet we used for our bulldogs and the nurses assured me that the doctor is very knowledgable about this breed as well.......we will find out when I test him next Monday.LOL

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd give him a try, when you go in, ask how many other boxers he has as patients as well...That's a good indicator...Quiz him about Ace(that's a no no for boxers)...things like that will tell you if he is knowledgeable about the breed or not...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Acepromazine or Acetylpromazine (More commonly known as ACP or Ace it is a psychotropic drugs, used little in humans, however frequently in animals as a sedative and antiemetic. Its principal value is in quietening and calming frightened and aggressive animals. The standard pharmaceutical preparation, acepromazine maleate, is used extensively in equine, feline, and canine; especially as a pre-anesthetic agent often in conjunction with Atropine, and often an opiate such as morphine or buprenorphine.

So, when talking to the vet I would just ask.  "Do you use Ace to sedate animals"  If they say yes then ask, do you also use it in Boxers.  If they say yes then they dont know much about Boxers.  :D The answer should probably be "Yes we do but not in Boxers"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts