Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was I so worried about?! LOL...THank you to everyone for reassuring me I was handling it properly. We are now completely off leash and Oscar and Nero (new kitten) are buddies already!! They play and have a great old time together! I still don't let Oscar chase though, I just don't want that to be a habit. But their favorite game is Nero gets up on the back of the couch and hits Oscar in the face and Oscar 'talks' to Nero the whole time. It's great entertainment.  :lol: But my resident cat still thinks we are all idiots.  :roll: But we love him anyway!  :wink:

Am I doing the right thing? We adopted a 3 mo old kitten 2 days ago. I have a 3 yr old boxer named Oscar, Oscar has grown up with our 'resident' cat Wolverine, who was our first furry. But I know that he needs to be trained to accept and understand that kitten is part of the pack now too. SO last night I let new kitty roam free and check the place out (he has a designated room in the basement when I'm not home for now) and I kept Oscar on his prong collar and short lead with me for about an hour and a half and everytime he sat while new kitty was scampering etc....he got rewarded with heavy praise. Is this the right idea to start getting him used to seeing little kitty running and jumping and playing, etc....without thinking he's a 'toy'? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: Boxer vs. Kitten

Don't have any cats but it sounds like you are doing the right thing.  Others who have experience will let you know what they have done.

·
Registered
3 Posts

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING.  BUT, BE CAREFUL MY DOG IS NOT SUPPOSE TO GO IN THE BACK HALF OF THE HOUSE HE KNOWS THIS.  ONE OF ARE CATS NAME TIGERA IN A PLAYFUL MANER WOULD JUMP ON HIM AND THEN RUN IN TO THE BACK HALF OF THE HOUSE.  SO MY DOG WOULD THEN RUN TO THE EDGE OF THE TILE WHERE HE IS SUPPOSE TO STOP AND HE WOULD STOP.  THEN TIGERA WOULD DART AT HIM THEN DART BACK KINDA LIKE SHE WAS EGGING HIM ON TO CROSS.  SO HE WOULD CROSS AND CHASE AFTER HER.  THIS IS THE PART WHERE I GET HOME AND CATCH HIM IN THE BACK HALF OF THE HOUSE NOT KNOWING ALL THAT HAD TAKEN PLACE.  MY DOG BATISTA WOULD GET THE BLAME.  SO THIS WENT ON FOR WEEKS, TIL ONE DAY I SET UP AND VIDEO TAPE THE HALLWAY AND GOT IT ON TAPE.  MY POINT TO THIS STORY IS WHEN AND IF YOUR DOG GETS CAUGHT CHASING AFTER THE CAT DON'T BLAME IT ALL ON THE DOG!  THERE'S TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY!

·
Registered
942 Posts

Welcome to the forum sticks, that's a great story...darn cats. lol Beware about typing in all caps, it usually means yelling or anger. Just a heads up  :wink:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I can't help with the kitten issue, but I can tell you that when we brought Sophie home, Kane was very gentle with her and let her do anything and everything to him.  He never hurt her or picked on her.  Now that she is older (16 wks) he roughs her up like she was another adult boxer.  I don't know whether this is just our situation or if boxers just instinctively know when they have to be careful with a baby.  I kinda think it's part instinct and part that they are both dogs.  Good luck with your new addition.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

well we have Isis our white boxer and onyx our blk lab both BIG..80 plus pounds..and 2 cats..a big 20 pound siamese and a small petite hellion tiger kitten named prada...

prada was only about 2 weeks when we found her..almost dead..nursed her back and in that process she turned into the devil cat...lol..
both dogs always knew to be careful.we never had to tell them..they would chase her but never hurt her..they always just either got bored and caught up to her and then jsut sniffed...
NOW a year later..the cat is the monster under the dog bowls..she lays under it waiting for them to walk up so she can attack their ankles...she jumps out of the dark at them .etc...well she does it to us too...shes crazy ! they chase her and box her and she boxes back ..kinda funny..

as far as the big cat..well haha they chase him too but he just lays down and the dogs walk away...

i really think they all just work it out...esp if your pup has already had a kitty in the house...i wouldnt worry..:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Sounds like you are off to a good start...Just monitor them both for a bit. A cat's normal reaction even as a kitten is to run when they see a dog, so just make sure that your boxer doesn't think it's playtime and get a bit wild...Oreo, my cat used to chase Buck around the house, hide behind a couch, then jump out at him, Oh it was funny....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just a quick update. I had new kitty (Nero) out last night again for about 2 hours with Oscar on his leash though. They sniffed noses and Nero swatted at Oscar's nose but without his claws out. Oscar just seems to get 'over stimulated' when Nero scampers through a room, I just worry he will pounce if he catches him. But this morning I brought Oscar in from going potty and they sniffed noses a little bit...Nero still arches his back and puffs his little kitten tail but Oscar just reached toward him with his nose, not his usual giant paw 'hey come here' tactic! lol....So fingers crossed! We are trying without leash over the weekend. Thanks all!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Hope you have good luck, sounds like he is learning.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.  Our first boxer came into a house as a puppy with two big kitties.  We had a Mane Coon cat that held the puppy down and gave her a bath.  They got along very well and never really had any issues with chasing.  How ever when we got our rescue she decided that it was great fun to chase the cats.  When puppy #3 came along she loved to help the rescue chase and corner the cats.  They never really hurt the cat just would chase them if they ran.  If the cats just walked across the room the dogs didn't even blink at them so if you can train your little kitten to WALK you should be fine!  :D  8O

It also depends on the personality of the cat.  We have a cat now that prefers to sleep with the boxers and loves to play with them, he isn't afraid of them at all and will bite them on the leg if they play too rough with him.  :D

·
Registered
578 Posts

My best friend just got a kitten and we decided to bring Pinot (the kitten) and Fredo (5 month old Boxer) to the vet together. We had them in the exam room when the vet tech was like..lets see if they like each other...and put pinot in fredo's face. Fredo just sat there but pinot went nuts , hissed, tried to bite Fredo but got the tech instead.  I guess he learned his lesson.lol

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

We tried to adopt a cat but she hated Odin with a passion... really upset me too cuz' now Odin probably will never like cats because of that mean little thing. She was great with Nikki and let Sarah do ANYTHING to her... Sarah loved her... she was our neighbors cat. The neighbor was going to take her back to the shelter (no-kill) because she started peeing and pooping near the daycare items (she has an in home daycare). Anyway...

sounds like your doing the right thing. I love the vet story...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Boxer vs. Kitten (UPDATE 11.12.07)

Well we went off leash all weekend and he did pretty good. As mentioned above by boxerlove the biggest issue is when Nero runs through the room Oscar gives chase.  8O But we are working on it.  If Osccar startles Nero he will hiss and spit but otherwise he holds his own. Which is good I didn't want a kitten thet Oscar could intimidate. I think we're going to be just fine in a couple more weeks or so. They still will never be left alone but things will balance out in the weeks to come. My resident cat, Wolverine just watches all these goings on with a look that says he thinks we are all absolutely NUTS!  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lol, glad things are going well.... :)

·
Registered
496 Posts

Sounds like you are doing what is best. I am not a cat owner but my boxer loves to play with my moms when we visit.
Samantha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts