Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Has anyone tried the Thunder shirt or lavender spray for anxiety?? I have also read about DAP diffusers??? Has anyone had any luck???

:crazyeye:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have tried all 3. Out of the 3, I found the thunder shirt to be most effective. Lavender oil worked, but seemed rather short lived. I've never really had any luck with DAP. Of course, efficacy can also be judged by the severity of the anxiety. If the anxiety isn't that bad DAP may be more than effective. If the anxiety is severe, all 3 options are safe so you could use all 3 together.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have the thunder shirt for our mixed terrier, she hates fire works, and thunder, lighting. Didn't work. The thunder shirt should be introduced when the dog is calm, worn for a while taken off, repeat, and so on. So when you really need it and you put it on the dog associates the shirt as calmness. Like I said it didn't work for her. We use rescue drops that seems to help the best.
But every dog is different.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have the thunder shirt for our mixed terrier, she hates fire works, and thunder, lighting. Didn't work. The thunder shirt should be introduced when the dog is calm, worn for a while taken off, repeat, and so on. So when you really need it and you put it on the dog associates the shirt as calmness. Like I said it didn't work for her. We use rescue drops that seems to help the best.
But every dog is different.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've had a problem with Rex and his anxieties for some time so I can sympathize. Some good suggestions in this thread, only one of which I haven't yet tried. The Thundershirt did nothing for Rex, I can tell you that much straight away.

·
Registered
378 Posts
What is your pup anxious about? I think what they're anxious about and the level of anxiety helps determine what will or will not work. The more info you can give us the better we can help you determine what may work.

My Ziva, for example, had extremely bad separation anxiety and none of those things worked for her. You name it and I probably tried it. But I know a few people who have dogs who are mildly afraid of thunderstorms or who have very mild cases of separation anxiety and the thunder shirt and a diffuser worked great for them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is your pup anxious about? I think what they're anxious about and the level of anxiety helps determine what will or will not work. The more info you can give us the better we can help you determine what may work.

My Ziva, for example, had extremely bad separation anxiety and none of those things worked for her. You name it and I probably tried it. But I know a few people who have dogs who are mildly afraid of thunderstorms or who have very mild cases of separation anxiety and the thunder shirt and a diffuser worked great for them.

She has anxiety with everything! She has major separation anxiety as her previous owners locked her in a laundry room 90% of her life. So she has bad anxiety with doors and people coming in/out of the house. She is also very sensitive to noise! She will bark at a creek in the floor and throw her body at the front door,.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Poor thing :( How long have you had her? Hopefully as she grows to trust you, some of her anxieties will disappear.

Are you working with a trainer? If not, it may be a good idea to do so. Look up behavioural trainers in your area.

·
Registered
378 Posts
She has anxiety with everything! She has major separation anxiety as her previous owners locked her in a laundry room 90% of her life. So she has bad anxiety with doors and people coming in/out of the house. She is also very sensitive to noise! She will bark at a creek in the floor and throw her body at the front door,.
Poor pup!

Can you describe how she behaves when left alone? If she truly has a severe case of separation anxiety she will likely need more than a thunder shirt or any of the other things you mentioned.

I just updated the thread the thread I started about my girl's separation anxiety. Maybe something in there will help you.

http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/116426-zivas-separation-anxiety-saga.html

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poor thing :( How long have you had her? Hopefully as she grows to trust you, some of her anxieties will disappear.

Are you working with a trainer? If not, it may be a good idea to do so. Look up behavioural trainers in your area.
We have only had her for 4-5 months so fingers crossed she settles down on her own. We just started working with a Trainer in our home so I am hoping we can break some of her bad habits.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poor pup!

Can you describe how she behaves when left alone? If she truly has a severe case of separation anxiety she will likely need more than a thunder shirt or any of the other things you mentioned.

I just updated the thread the thread I started about my girl's separation anxiety. Maybe something in there will help you.

http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/116426-zivas-separation-anxiety-saga.html
Thanks I just read it! You have some very helpful tips I will try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts