Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have ever had a boxer that had flat feet. My vet has got her legs wraped up to her elbows. He says its from not getting enough nutrition from her food. So now we have to give her calcium tablets.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Re: This is my first post

I'm sorry to hear that.  I've never heard of a dog having flat feet.
As far as the food in concerned, there is a lot of info in the forum about that.  The main thing is no corn and no by-products!
Good luck and welcome to the forums.  Poor puppy!  I hope she gets better! :(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: This is my first post

I've never heard of that before no... sorry!  But welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  sorry, never heard of it either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vet says its her tendens. We get to take her bandages off Friday. She is now eating Pro Plan Large Breed>

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't think calcium is going to help with tendons.  Is that what the vet recommended? And calcium tabs aren't usually easily absorbed so usually have little benefit to bone health.  Pro Plan is actually a pretty decent food even with that Purina name.  There are better foods, but I don't think it's lacking anything.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i like pro plan but harley cant eat it.. he gets sick.. we have only  been able to keep him on iams dog food.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
havent heard of it either but i agree with 48 .. the tendons arent really going to be helped with calcium tabs...not to the extent of fixing a tendon issue serious enough to cause that...

take a pic of the pup from the side and front...maybe a few people on here can give you some advice...or maybe it is what your vet said i dont know..jsut never heard anything like tht...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 5 month old Boxer developed the same problem about two weeks ago. I went away and had him boarded for about a week at a kennel my family has used for years. As soon as I saw him I got really worried because his elbows were nearly to the floor and he was flopping his paws around like a duck. Normally, he is very light on his feet and prances around. I took him to two different vets and neither knew what was really wrong with him since he wasn't in any pain. One said he grew too fast and he'd catch back up and the other said it was a hyperextension. They recommended maintaining his usual high exercise and keeping him on the large breed dog food. About two days ago, he returned to 100% normal. Turns out the combination of him being an extremely tall puppy and the fact didn't eat much at the kennel did a number on his muscles and tendons. Hopefully everything works out this well with you too.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I actually had that same problem with Astro.  When we got him he seemed to have deformed legs.  It looked like he was bow-legged and had flat feet.  The vet took x-rays and said that all his bones seemed to be straight but she wanted to show a surgeon just to double check.  The surgeon came in the room and said that his bones are fine, and it is his tendons.  He said it was most likely caused from being in a cage for the first 4 months of his life.  He also said that he would grow out of it and not to give him anything.  We just had to bring him back in for a recheck to make sure he was growing fine.  The recheck was about 3 weeks after the initial visit and he was 90% better.  That was just over a year ago and he is perfectly fine now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope I have good luck with my Diamond.  The vet said he could not do anything else for her.  I was keeping her in the house but we have moved her outside to exercise more.  She is right by my front poarch. She has a 8x40 pen.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I worked as a vet tech for nine years and to me this sounds like rickets.  Try a google search on "k-9 rickets" and see if that describes what is going on.  If so, too much calcium can actually make it worse.  Hope this helps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the help. Since I moved Diamond outside her feet are starting to get better.  At least the little pads on the backs of her feet are off the ground now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts