Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only my second post, but I have a huge problem with my gf's boxer. I have him over my house alot becuase she works two jobs and it keeps him out of the cage.

Recently he won't come in the house after I let him out. Sometimes he needs to come in quickly because I need to leave for work for something else on schedule and he taunts me and won't come to me. The first time this happened I had to chase him down, finally tackle him and drag him in by his collar. I can't leave him outside alone because I feel he is still too young (6 months). I have to do this everytime unless I have nothing to do and can coax him with biscuits, but it still comes down to getting him close enough to grab his collar and it seems to take forever. I don't want to keep doing this, but I have to get him in the house. It's geting really aggrevating.
Please help!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Oh yes :wink:  he's got you well trained - knows exactly how to get you to play chase with him - haha!!
Just like to say i'm well impressed you have actually managed to tackle him and catch him 8O  - i mean - are you a semi-pro football player or what? My cousin spent an hour with one of his friends trying to catch my crazy dog - they gave up in the end and sat drinking beer for the next 2 hours waiting for me to come home :lol:
Try pretending to take the game inside or bribery with food treats - they are the only 2 things that work :roll: Good luck :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
He is still a puppy and wanting to play.  If you are putting him out for his last potty before you leave for work try doing it a little earlier if possible so that you have a little time to get out there with him and play.  Throw the ball, run him around a little and get him wore out so he can sleep while you are gone.  He should be ready to come in then, now you are just letting him out before you leave and he knows he is just going to be locked up until someone comes home and he is trying to get all the free time he can before he has to come in.  

Good luck with the little guy...sounds like he has you well trained now and you need to let him know who the real boss is!  :D  8O

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
another thing that might help is not to let him run free on his potty breaks...

take him out on his leash every time you want him to use the bathroom

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Take him out on lead.  Don't chase him (as everyone else has said...this becomes a game to him).  If he won't come in then go and het him or as DieselsMom said just shut the door, step out of site for a moment (but where you can watch him) and then go open the door.  This sends a pretty clear message.  Come in or get left outside.  When he does come in under his own steam (even if you have to do the "shut the door and leave" thing) treat and praise...lots and lots of praise.  You want him to associate coming in after being called with something good and this is an easy way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jack will stand at the door too and not come in.  I shut the door and leave him for a few minutes and try again.  If he keeps standing there and won't come in I repeat this.  After the third time, he realizes I won't play his game and he comes in.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mia has her days where she doesn't want to come in...So I'll bring Toby in and step inside the door and shut it.. Within 5 seconds she's sitting there whining and I let her in.. lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did you ever get this worked out?

I know when I let Ares out in the back yard, I have a 30' lead that he gets put on.  Otherwise, he treats my yard, and the yards for about 4 houses in a row like he does the park.

I tried chasing him for about 10 seconds then decided to walk back toward the door.  He saw this, and his attitude did a 180 and he came in.

--

Now that method should work as long as he's properly exercised.  If he hasn't let all his energy out that day (sometimes twice lol) -- then I'm not entirely convinced you can do anything to stop a boxer from doing his thing for a little while.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with what everyone says, and I'm proud of you for being such a good sport and can hear the underlying frustration in your words.  Boxers do love their games and it just reminds me of what Dr. Phil says when someone explains a problem and what why they are frustrated.  He says, "How's that working for ya?"  Maybe it's because I've been up all night with a new puppy and I'm slap happy.  But everyone is so right -- he's have fun playing and doesn't know it's making you mad.  Keep us posted as to how it works out.  We are all impressed that you are such a nice guy to help you gf out.  Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't help buy laugh at this post.  Maggie does that to me sometimes and lastnight my DH couldn't help but sit there and laugh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts