Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boxer mix. new to the forum. need help with puppy foods. Ive been feeding large breed puppy foods, but have also tried some regular puppy foods. my dog doesnt seem interested in any of the foods. Taste of the wild salmon gave him diarrhea, blue wilderness was ok...but just regular puppy food. nutro has also been ok for him. he just shows no real interest in any food ive tried. Advice? He's a rescue. Was 6 months when i got him. now 7ish. anyway, heres duke. He is about 42lbs

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Oh. he's handsome and welcome aboard. My intro to Boxers was a Boxer/APBT mix brillant dog. He was my intro to Boxers.

But back on point ... you gotta slow down with the different food's! You can't just go making rapid changes in diet and he won't starve if he skips a meal or two.

Changes in kibbel should be introduced slowly. There may not be anything wrong with the wild salmon but if it was a sudden change of diet ... that may be the issue???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh. he's handsome and welcome aboard. My intro to Boxers was a Boxer/APBT mix brillant dog. He was my intro to Boxers.

But back on point ... you gotta slow down with the different food's! You can't just go making rapid changes in diet and he won't starve if he skips a meal or two.

Changes in kibbel should be introduced slowly. There may not be anything wrong with the wild salmon but if it was a sudden change of diet ... that may be the issue???

Okay. Should I try the salmon again more slowly? I just want to ensure he’s getting the best kibble possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Yes you are changing foods too quickly, it takes time to transition foods for example when introducing a new food week 1, 25 % new 75 % old week 2 50/50/ week 3/75/25 week 4 100% new otherwise you dance your dog getting the diarrhea. You could fast him for 24 hours then just put him back on whichever food you prefer.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Is this your first dog??? And yes as Lindar advised, should work fine.

And why the Salmon?? Nothing wrong with it, I rotated it into my dogs food regime over the years. But generally speaking ... people go with Salmon if there dog has issues with Beef or Chicken itching issues comes to mind ...

Itching, is not usually a Boxer or Boxerish issue but with my first GSD it was???

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome. He looks cute and happy! Congrats on adopting too!
Some boxers have a sensitive stomach too.
I'd recommend what Lindar51 & Chip18 suggested and see how it goes.

Hopefully a slow mix change will do the trick.

Our boys like beef better than lamb or chicken. It's discouraged to put anything in their food to entice them to eat, but you could check with your vet about adding some fish oil to his food. Ours recommended gel caps with the dosage being weight dependent, but I have a friend who gets the liquid and mixes it with the food. It's good for their skin/fur too. Your vet may recommend something else entirely.

Let us know how he progresses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, this is my first one since being a kid. Just want to do right by him. I couldn’t find any large breed puppy food in beef. I researched a little and found I should be feeding him large breed Bc of the calcium/phos ratio and the risk for him developing hip dysplasia etc. I have no idea how accurate any of that is. Also, I read that some people do not use puppy food at all. They just feed adult food? Is there a right way to do it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this your first dog??? And yes as Lindar advised, should work fine.

And why the Salmon?? Nothing wrong with it, I rotated it into my dogs food regime over the years. But generally speaking ... people go with Salmon if there dog has issues with Beef or Chicken itching issues comes to mind ...

Itching, is not usually a Boxer or Boxerish issue but with my first GSD it was???

Was just recommended by a friend with a Doberman who has a nice coat so I gave it a try. Can’t find taste of the wild in stores here so I had to order

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, this is my first one since being a kid. Just want to do right by him. I couldn’t find any large breed puppy food in beef. I researched a little and found I should be feeding him large breed Bc of the calcium/phos ratio and the risk for him developing hip dysplasia etc. I have no idea how accurate any of that is. Also, I read that some people do not use puppy food at all. They just feed adult food? Is there a right way to do it?

I have also read puppies need certain vitamins and nutrients at a higher level than an adult might not need, which would make sense seeing how fast puppies grow.

Personally I went with a puppy food the breeder was using and switched over to a higher end kibble after about a year.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts

Oh boy ... the food thing can easily make one nuts. You should feed him the best quality food that you can afford and call it good. :)

The Salmon is certainly not a bad choice but if you ask your Dobbie friend "why??" I'm pretty sure should way say there dog had "scratching issues??"
Your dog is not a "Large Breed Dog??"

That said ... I personally, have an "issue" with the "Large Breed" stuff myself.
Your dog is not a "large Breed" a Bull Mastiff, a Great Dane a Neo to name a few are "large Breed Dogs. A Boxer or Boxerish is not.

My GSD was an Over Size Working Line GSD at 116 lbs. Nonetheless breed specs call GSD as are Boxers and derivatives thereof, Medium size dogs, not large Breeds. If the specs for" calcium/phos ratio's' are to believed, it's going to be to high for your dog.

My particular GSD was 116 lbs way out of spec ... that happens, a lot actually, it would seem, nonetheless, I fed him a "Breed Appropriate Kibbel" worked out fine.

To much of calcium/phos can interfere with the developing growth plates. And near as I know "Hip Dysplasia" has a Genetic Component to it?? It's not something that happens because an owner makes poor choices as regards feeding???

And a part of the point of why some chose to go with a mix ... is to sidestep, Genetic Issues in a given Breed. If your concerned about Hip dysplasia?? You can have his hips X-Rayed, I think he has to be at least a year old???

Personally ... I doubt Hip Dysplasia, is an issue your going to see???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright..perfect. That’s all I needed to hear. Newto this whole thing. It has been driving me crazy. The food part at least. Thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Welcome. He looks cute and happy! Congrats on adopting too!
Some boxers have a sensitive stomach too.
I'd recommend what Lindar51 & Chip18 suggested and see how it goes.

Hopefully a slow mix change will do the trick.

Our boys like beef better than lamb or chicken. It's discouraged to put anything in their food to entice them to eat, but you could check with your vet about adding some fish oil to his food. Ours recommended gel caps with the dosage being weight dependent, but I have a friend who gets the liquid and mixes it with the food. It's good for their skin/fur too. Your vet may recommend something else entirely.

Let us know how he progresses.
I'm always gonna be a PIA when I see "Fish Oil." Just a heads up ... "Fish Oil" has to be used with caution, as to much can be toxic. It's fat soluble, so it can build up in the dog's fat tissues and become toxic. Virgin Coconut oil, the non cooking kind is a lot safer and has many of the same benefits as Fish Oil.

But Coconut oils does not contain the "Omega 3 fatty acids" :

https://keepthetailwagging.com/stop-feeding-your-dog-coconut-oil/

Aww well, Pros ad cons as it were, but Fish Oil can be toxic and Coconut oil not so much.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Alright..perfect. That’s all I needed to hear. Newto this whole thing. It has been driving me crazy. The food part at least. Thanks everyone for your help

food can be confusing...I would suggest..go to dogfoodadvisor.com and research some of the brands that are rated well. Then see what is available to you, then switch to it. Personally I feed all my dogs Victor they are rated well and its available at my local feed store, https://victorpetfood.com they have many formulas. My older dogs are on their performance with Glucosamine for Joint Support. I have a young st poodle who the breeder had on Fromm, I also like it as it agrees with my pup but I am about to switch him to Victor grain free adult/puppy (all life formula).
Find a food that is easy for you to get, affordable to you and see if it works for your pup.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm always gonna be a PIA when I see "Fish Oil." Just a heads up ... "Fish Oil" has to be used with caution, as to much can be toxic. It's fat soluble, so it can build up in the dog's fat tissues and become toxic. Virgin Coconut oil, the non cooking kind is a lot safer and has many of the same benefits as Fish Oil.

But Coconut oils does not contain the "Omega 3 fatty acids" :

https://keepthetailwagging.com/stop-feeding-your-dog-coconut-oil/

Aww well, Pros ad cons as it were, but Fish Oil can be toxic and Coconut oil not so much.
Thanks for the data- good to know.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thanks for the data- good to know.
Thanks and most likely ... "you" are fine. And Fish oil, used under the advise of a vet and "Pet specific" fish oil used as advised ... "No Problem." :)

But ... people do stuff and I really did not explain why I was having a Cow, over the Fish Oil as it were???

So ... let me explain. If you have your "pet specific" Fish Oil and you happen to have Human specific Fish Oil??? If you compare the two bottles ... you will see a difference???

The actual "Pet Fish oil" contains Vitamin E, (yet another toxic vitamin) if not used correctly. And Human grade Fish Oil does not??? So you know why is that??? Now the question becomes "can I use Human Grade Fish Oil for pets??

Well the answer is yes ... sort of??? What I understand is that Human Grade Fish Oil is useless for pet's?? The Pet Grade Fish contains Vitamin E because without Vitamin E, pet's can't assimilate Human Grade Fish Oil??

In theory Human Grade Fish oil won't cause them harm because it will just pass threw there system without being assimilated?? Basically a waste of effort but not toxic either??

On GSDForum, I was told that the Vitamin E, was just to keep the Fish Oil from turning rancid??? Well that makes sense but ... if that was the case then why is there no Vitamin E in Human Grade Fish Oil???

Rocky had vet prescribed Fish Oil and it did contain Vit E. I had a huge Bottle of Human Grade Fish Oil. So you know ... why can't I use this??? Well you can but, without Vit E, Human Grade Fish Oil (which is not what you suggested but people do stuff) is useless for Dog's.

So when Rocky's vet prescribed Fish Oil ran out I said screw it and went with Coconut Oil ... problem solved. Neither one really helped with his scratching issues anyway.

Sorry I handled the Fish Oil bit badly ... it was late for me, when I saw it. I guess all I really needed to say was ... if you want to use Fish Oil, see a Vet and use Pet specific Fish oil in the dosage recommend. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts