Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here (as if you couldn't tell already!).  I have a few questions.

I am not a boxer owner and have never owned one, but they are my favorite breed and I have been lucky enough to have friends with boxers that I can spend time with.  I would've owned one sooner, but my parents aren't huge fans of big dogs (they own a pomeranian and a cockapoo).  They have always told me that as soon as I have the time and money to devote, and my own place, they will buy me a dog.

Next year I will be starting my second year of college and I am going to be living in my own apartment.  My parents have agreed to buy me a dog.  Obviously I want that dog to be a boxer, but since I'm not completely familiar with the breed I have a few questions.

First, I've read several articles about what would be the best breed to own in an apartment.  Some say that boxers are a good large-breed choice because they are low energy when indoors as long as they have plenty of excercise during the day.  Other articles say that boxers are too high-energy to live happily in an apartment, and that their watchdog tendencies will cause problems with all of the people going by during the day in an apartment.  What is your opinion on this?  If it helps any, I'm going to be living in a VERY small apartment, probably around 600 square feet.  I have located one that has it's own small dog park, so whatever dog I get WILL have plenty of excercise... but will that be enough?

Second, I've also read that boxers are not very independent dogs and don't do well left alone.  Since I am a college student, I would be gone for around 4-6 hours every day while I was in class.  I'm pretty busy with school and don't have time to go out at night, so the only time I would really be gone is when I'm in class.  Will this cause a problem?  Nobody wants an unhappy dog... or unhappy neighbors, for that matter.

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
well im a sophmore in college now and my boy doe fine... i live in a townhouse, but it is pretty much an apartment.  He is great really... we go for walks and to the park and he doesnt have a problem, plus when i go home on weekends he comes and gets to play in my parents backyard.

I honestly dont have a problem w/ him in the apartment, and he is crate trained and does well when i am at class.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
When I had my first boxer, I lived in an apartment. The key is exercise. If he/she is exercised on a daily basis, then IMO they can live just about anywhere. I walked a minimum of 2 miles per day with him and there was a school across the street where I would meet friend w/ their dogs for playtime. Plus, he went just about everywhere with me. So, I say if you have time to exercise them, go for it!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers are very social dogs, they do like to be with their peeps, but that doesn't mean that if you are not there 24/7 it's wrong...With my first 2, both me & the ex worked, me 8 hrs, him 12, both did fine as I would totally devote my home hours to them. Quality of time is most important..I used to get up an hour earlier to walk them before I went to work, both for the exercise and the time I got to bond with them.. Many people in here hold down full time jobs, so no I won't say that it can't be done.. Same for living in an apartment. Oh sure, they will try and do the Boxer burn wherever they are, so it can get a bit tight, but as long as you are providing ample exercise, it's not that hard..

I would recomend doing some reading, if you haven't. There are several good books about the breed that goes into characteristics and such..A good one is called "The Boxer, A Family Favorite" by Stephanie Abraham..Hope that is some help

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well I have a boxer and live in a apt. 2 bdrm.  we live on a dead end st. w/ other dogs in the woods which she love and we have beach and pond, she is in the cage from 7:40am till 12:10pm and then till 4pm she does fine,  I try and play as much as I can @ lunch and take her for a walk/play after work and she is ok.  I sometime's wish it could be more but she seem's ok.  They are need exercise most important.  They love people as well so even if you went to a friends she would love it and get pooped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Before moving up to shreveport, I was in a duplex and Boudreaux did fine.  I am living in an apt in minden now.  Boudreaux stays at home alone from 6:40am till 5:30 pm.  He does fine.  Every now and again he has an accident or tears up the paper.  The neighboorhood is great.  I have about four miles to walk Boudreaux, including a duck pond.  If you are in college you should have more than enough time to spend with your new pup.  Let us know how it goes.

G

·
0 Posts
Not familiar about apartments but boxers are good anywhere by my opinion.... Welcome to the forums..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We currently are living in a townhome and have two boxers. The girls do wonderful as long as we give excercise. One thing to point out is that boxers are HIGH ENERGY dogs....unless you tire them out then you can experience lots of boxer burns and things while home. Boxers are very social as well, itis not a breed that you will be able to leave for 12+ hours a day every day. they thrive on their human companions

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i lived in an apartment when we first got jessie and she was fine... just as long as you take them out and exercise them when you are around

G

·
0 Posts
we don't have ours in an apartment...but our house isn't much bigger than one...we have two dogs, a cat, and fish and a bird in a 750ish square foot home...we leave them alone between 4-8 hours a day...in crates...and they are fine...they do get a bit hyper at times...and run and play and wrestle a lot...but they seem happy and content...they are always happy to be with us...but seem to understand that sometimes we go away...overall...I think boxers can do well in an apartment, as long as you give one time...exercise..and love

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes your boxer will be fine in an apartment. of course training will be key and so will the excercise. You will need to make sure you walk your dog to be before you leave for the day and will also probably need more excercise than just running around the dog park, unless it is a really good sized one.

As for the dog being dependent and vice versa, it varies on the dog really. Just like people they all have their own attitudes, and dependencies. I fyou want a dog that you will know a bit more about their attitudes then you can look into adpting a boxer. The rescue should know about the dogs likings and such as well as if it is a independent or dependent type dog and what have you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts