Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I'm looking into getting a boxer pup this summer (haven't found the right one yet), and a question came up the other day that concerns me.  My girlfriend has an African Grey parrot, which is a very mellow, but large bird.  The parrot has a cage but is allowed to run free in her house.  Does anyone out there have a boxer and a bird, or advice to train the boxer not to mess with the bird?  I'm afraid he may try to play with it, and kill it.  And, if that happens, they'll be a lot of hell to pay.

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good Morning, I had 2 birds that grew up with my boxers and they worked out well together.  As long as the dog is introduced second then there shouldnt be any probem.  Your new boxer will know that he is part of a great big family and he should play nice.  

Nicole

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well i just got a bird a couple of weeks ago which i posted how i got it which was crazy. Zeus and Dante dont like other animals and when they seen it in the cage for the first time they were excited like as if they wanted it pretty badly, and i told them no and made it be known not to mess with it or the cage. So now they just stare at it in amazement and curiosity with their heads cocked to the side as it chirps and whistles. So they are good with it. So far

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't have any advice for you on the bird but we did have to foster 6 baby ducks for a while and keep them in the house at night.  The dogs really sniffed the cage and wanted to get at them.  During the day they were outside in a larger cage.  The dogs were told to leave them alone and did.  I am sure if they got a hold of one they would kill it but not because they were being mean, they would want to play with it.  They have caught wild birds in our yard several times and they always end up dead.  As long as you let the dog know not to mess with it and keep inforcing that you shouldn't have any trouble.  Most of the time boxers just like to play and don't realize how strong they are.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My mother has two parakeets, it took Lola awhile to realize they were there.  Once she found them though, oh boy!  She would sit in front of the cage and bark at them and try to jump up to look inside.  This lasted a little while then she got board with them.  Every once in awhile she'll bark or sit and stare, but nothing's happened.  They never fly around though, so I don't know how that would be!  Good luck!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well if you're getting a brand new puppy I would imagine that they would be alright together as the bird will have been there from the day you bring the puppy home.  Also, as you said African Greys are very large birds (and none of the ones I've met have been short on personality either!) so I would say he will be well able for the puppy at first!  And once the puppy gets bigger, s/he'll be used to the bird anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts