Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're going to the inlaws this weekend and his Mom just got 3 kittens! They are 10 weeks old and I'm wondering what the best way to introduce our boys (A 2 year old and 4 1/2 month old) to these kittens. We want them to live in harmony while were there and we want these kittens to not fear the dogs early.  Any ideas on how to introduce the dogs to the cats??

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
well the 4.5 month old should be no problem at all!  A kitten to most puppies is just great, I'm sure they'll get along just fine and will probably even play together.  There might be some fur puffing at first, but once they sniff each other out it won't be a big deal I'm sure.  Keep in mind those are really young kittens, and a little rough-housing will go a long way for them.  

From what I've seen, boxers tend to be really good with cats.  I would still be a little more careful with the 2yo if he's never been around cats.  Make sure he's really calm when you introduce them.  I would even suggest waiting until he finds a place to fall asleep, then just as he's falling asleep (i.e. VERY calm!) bring a kitten to him.  Don't let him get excited about the kitten, he should no associate cats with excitement.  Let him sniff the kitten, and as long as he's calm and almost uninterested in the kitten give him praise and let him know how awesome he is.

Even with the puppy, make sure he's calm when he meets the kittens.  He'll probably be just as scared or concerned about what they are as they will be with him.  Let the kittens meet him first so they get the smell and realize it's not a threat (from a smaller, less threatning animal) and make sure to take your time.  Don't feel like this has to be a fast intorduction, just keep slowly introducing them to each other and use common sense, if it seems like your older dog wants to tear them to shreds then maybe you should wait until they're a little bigger to assimilate them, when the kittens can give him a big old scratch on the nose to let him realize that they won't take his pushiness!  Also, dont' let the kittens hide under something where he can smell them.  That makes it more of a game, "get the kitten from under the couch" and makes them seem more like a toy or something to hunt.

Dogs and cats can get along great in the right situation.  When I first got my kitten my younger golden just LOVED him to pieces and they would rough-house like crazy (this cat did think it was a dog though haha).  They'd bite eachother, Gregor (kitten) would latch onto her head and bite her ear, she'd pick him up and throw him...I know, it sounds gruesome but they loved it!!  Unfortunately we couldn't keep the kitten (didn't understand the idea of litter boxes...seriously, he thought he was a dog) and had no interest in going outside (he was born in a barn and I guess that was enough outside for him) so it wasn't a good match.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i agree with what anita said..sumya is terrified of cats because we had the cat before her and the cats HATES her,the cat is always chasing her lol..she is a big baby.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
We went to my mom's friends house who had two cats.  Being the rambunctious one that he is, Tango darted at one of them, only to get a nice little scratch on the face.  He knew better after that!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
we have cats...our 25 pound siamese we had before the dogs....they got along jsut fine...took an hour or so..then the other cat is just a weirdo lol thinks hes a dog ..i think itll be fine ..all will hinge on that first few minutes...but bear in mind that the dogs are going to want the cat to run so they can chasse them my dogs still do that...the kitten runs b/c he likes to play with the dogs..our siamese looks at the dogs and i swear rolls his eyes hahahhaa..but never fight...

btw...ANITA...you goldens are GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had them all of my life until now..miss having them ALOT...its like having a boxer..once you have a golden you feel lost without one

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I kept Sam on a leash but he was only 3 mos. old when we got him and he loved to chase (not hurt) them so I really had to watch him. Lucy was 6 mos. when we got her. She was interested in the cats but never chased or tried to hurt them. Now they all play together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts