Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- question for all...I have a 6 month old boxer and want to be able to let him off leash with our chickens and guiene hens...any suggestions how to make this work? I have been walking him around the chickens/guiene coop but they have not been out of the coop bc of all the snow. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Boxers have a very high prey drive so if you value your chickens and don't want the dog to develop a habit of chasing I would advise keeping the situation as it is.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Well my SIL had a ST Poodle and a rescue doberman. She also had chicken houses...big boiler type houses. Both dogs were taught to ignore the birds. Poodles are retrievers and have high prey drives so she was able to teach it so I'm sure you can too.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I have been walking him around the chickens/guinee coop but they have not been out of the coop bc of all the snow. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
LOL, that is hysterical! It's pretty hard to "shape a behavior," if the "conditions," for it are not there?? So you need to make adjustments for that now. And I have a plan for that, and if you incorporate it into the "process," you'll be able to "Proof, your work," long before the "Spring!"

Working with a "Puppy," gives you a lot more flexibility than working with a dog! With a "Dog," and potential "small creatures," in a household (ie prey) you have to roll pretty hard on "quelling prey drive," out the gate or someone (creature) is gonna die! But that is not where you are at now.

But you want to create, ultimately a "Calm Dog," around stimuli. And you do that by showing the dog what you want and how you "expect," them to behave. Now I don't train Seeing Eye Dogs. But you know I doubt that if a Seeing Eye Dog's owner went to a Farm, that dog would abandon its owner to run after chickens?? That is not gonna happen. :)

Now I have "no idea," how they do what they do?? The "Car, Situational Awareness," being one of my questions?? But ultimately "Service Dog's," are "Calm!" And creating "Calmness, in Dog's," is what I do.

Now my new dog Bella, has proven that I kinda "suck," at the "Dog Trainer bit??" But I can turn the crazy on and off with her, like a "light switch!" So there is that. :)

And when I got her at one year old her biggest challenge was "Cat's," and lesson one ... you don't hide the "Prey!" Now at this point, I am gonna digress, from that topic and I can say, that all you need to know is here.:

And right there "is," your solution. But those are just the "Building Blocks," you have to put them together. And those are "The Place Command," and "Sit on the Dog," cept it will be, "Sit on the chickens," for you. :)

Those techniques train "Calmness," into a Dog. And around "Triggers," you want the dog to be "Calm." A dog needs to be taught how to do "Nothing," otherwise there "Nature dictates," they will always want to be doing something?? And playing off that ... "Dog's will always default to known trained behaviours!"

So that is where we are going to go. Your initial steps are great. Put him on a leash and see what he does?? It's just your hard luck that the Chickens don't want to cooperate?? But right now ... it does not matter. That gives you time to work with him.

Now I don't know crap about chicken's?? But hey, I will consider them as being hairless, two legged cats. I would start with training "Place," and that is the "Default," behaviour we want to get. Keep doing what you are doing but work on training Place.

Now your timing "sucks," and winter is really bad on the East Coast I see. But at some point you want to work on "Sit On The Dog." Outside the home. And with that one ... you do and say "Nothing!" You have the Dog on leash "Somewhere," and you just stop. You don't say anything to him. You don't do anything to correct him. You just stop and Sit and don't move. The Goal is 30 minutes of that and you build up to that amount of time.

That is the essence of how I would go about this. But you still got no chicken's to work with?? So now you have to add the "Distractions."
And I have no idea how practical this is?? But you have to get at least a couple (chickens) out of the coop. You'll need an EX Pen for them.:
https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Fold...hild=1&keywords=ex+pens&qid=1613450564&sr=8-1

And put it either indoors or in the garage if you have the space?? And then you can put the "Pieces," together! With actual chicken's you can see what he does?? Without any user input as he can't get to the Chicken's.

Put a towel or rug by the EX-Pen and tell him "Place!" Now if "Place," is Rock Solid, that will show. Put several feet of space between him and the Ex Pen to start so you have space for the command (if needed) and work closer to the pen in increments.

In the meantime you have "Sit On The Dog," I'd not start with that ... and if you have worked on it (elsewhere) ... it is available to you, if you stop and Sit, he will understand what the deal is. So your gonna sit closer to the Chickens.

Do that also for a couple of week's??? Sit on the Dog and Place Work close to the Ex Pen. If he does Great, then it will be time to move with him and you at first ... into the Ex Pen!

And like I said I know nothing of chickens?? But with Cat's, what I expect is for my dogs to do "Nothing!" My dog's don't ever take a step towards my Cat's. And if a Cat approaches them, they stop or bow down!
My dog's "respect cat's as equals!" Over twenty some odd years and up to four dogs and 17 cat's living together ... I can't post a single clip of Cat's and Dog's wrestling together?? My cat's nuzzle with my dog's, sleep with them and groom them but my dog's don't "hassel them period ever." Now that much said ... yeah some cat's can be A-Hole's! But that's another story.

But after a bit, start with Sit on the Dog at first, in the Ex Pen, see how it goes?? And then move onto, him alone in "Place," in the Ex-Pen, with the Chickens! And rotate chicken's as he can tell them apart. And what you want is simple, "Don't Screw With The Chickens!" And as you process slowly ... you will see what I mean ... as your dog will show you. :)

Now most likely a "Farmer," with dog's, has there approach to?? And I will bet it is nowhere near as "time consuming??" And with a "Dog," I rescue off the street and have to take home?? Yeah his first 24 hours might be pretty tough?? But that is not the case here, I assume?? It's a bit to go before spring and if you choose ... you can already know what you got ... long before then. :)

And as always ask questions ... Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responses...I will start to work on the sit on the dog and place with him as soon as this ice....then another snow storm coming this week stops! I also agree that they can be trained to be around the chickens...I understand it, it’s always what steps to do first. I have been training him on my own he’s been pretty good. The other thing right now I have problems with is when someone comes to the house...yesterday we had someone working at our house, had the dog on a leash had him sitting and the person wouldn’t stop talking to him making him crazy. Tried to explain I was training him but he wouldn’t stop talking to the dog. After about an hour or so of the dog trying to get to him he finally stopped and laid down. It seems with some people he goes the boxer crazy the entire body folding in half and body shaking and other people not so much.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello- question for all...I have a 6 month old boxer and want to be able to let him off leash with our chickens and guiene hens...any suggestions how to make this work? I have been walking him around the chickens/guiene coop but they have not been out of the coop bc of all the snow. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
Do it now He will be the guardian of the flock.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Thank you all for your responses...I will start to work on the sit on the dog and place with him as soon as this ice....then another snow storm coming this week stops! I also agree that they can be trained to be around the chickens...I understand it, it’s always what steps to do first. I have been training him on my own he’s been pretty good. The other thing right now I have problems with is when someone comes to the house...yesterday we had someone working at our house, had the dog on a leash had him sitting and the person wouldn’t stop talking to him making him crazy. Tried to explain I was training him but he wouldn’t stop talking to the dog. After about an hour or so of the dog trying to get to him he finally stopped and laid down. It seems with some people he goes the boxer crazy the entire body folding in half and body shaking and other people not so much.
Unfortunately sometimes you just have to be rude if people don't listen. I had no issue speaking my mind when I was training with my guy. Training my dog was more important than a strangers feelings.;)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Thank you all for your responses...I will start to work on the sit on the dog and place with him as soon as this ice....then another snow storm coming this week stops!
Well you "say," that you will start working on it in a week or two?? But technically, you have already started "both," techniques at once and added a "distraction," at the same time on top of that! Adding distraction's is called "Proofing," and typically "Proofing," is not done until a Dog is trained (to the command) first and then you layer in distractions. And you observed the result's, the dog gave, it up relaxed and chilled the heck out! And that is the "Ultimate Goal of Training "Place!" :)

It's actually an A+ performance! But I would have to say an A-?? Because you kind of "forced," your dog to break the "Sit," and technically Sit means, Sit. The dog does not move from Sit, until another command is issued. On the other hand, uh no one expects a dog to sit for an hour?? I would imagine much less than "Three Minuet's," is the norm? So you did kind of sort of forced him to break the sit. But aside from that, You did good!

As for time and place to train "Place," which would replace "Sit," under similar circumstances. Well if your dog get's up on the furniture anyway?? You have one answer, and to make the Command more mobile and universal ... you just use bath mat's or towel's around house. It really does not matter, what you use as a "Place Cot??"

And I learned that from a member on Germanshepardforum. That actually what you use to train the Place Command does not really matter?? A raised surface just makes the dog's placement/understanding of where he should be easier.

She was using an Ottoman, in her living room to train her Cane Coso in "Place." I thought she was nut's but she said, hey it work's! Time passes and today I have our Pit/Boxer Bella. She is a good dog with no serious issues?? Kinda, Boring after my life time of management with my (formerly Human Aggressive GSD.)

But I got Bella and sigh I got to do something, outside of the normal good manners stuff with her?? So I'll train "place," and I don't want to break out the Place Cot, so screw it ... I'll use the sofa. As she get's up there at will anyway. I'll just add "Place," to keep her there.

Well you know, that work's just fine also. I also use towel's in other areas, say Place and point. and she stay's right there ... as long as I want. And in the "Real World," admittedly without distraction's. (Although Sit meaning Sit, came in handy one time when I had her in a Sit by the car and a Quad Runner came between her and me!!) She has a thing about loud engines, ... they need to die! But she held her Sit, I was relived and impressed!

So I call her after that thing is gone. And at the head of the trail, I point to a boulder and say "Place!" This was new the first time but she hops up on the boulder and Sit's. I turn and walk away and go down the trail out of site to scout the area for dog's. All is clear and I go back up the trail to see her, and she is still there!!

I say OK and off we go. And day in day out, when I come from home sigh, the usual "mugging at the door! I say "Place," and point to the couch and that is the end of it until, I am ready to release her.:)

Just saying, you don't really need fancy equipment or clear weather just to start, to Train Place, introducing the command on a bathmat towel or a sofa, "apparently," work's out quite well also.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Joeponds- how did you do it??
The photo is of my girl Remy the ultimate ppd a once in a life time boxer. Training was easy One reprimand or maybe two. and she was the Guardian of the flock . This is through lineage, I knew the history I seen and known the grandsire and sire.And The attributes and faults of the line.
If your boxer is young as your is .Repetitious award and praises,, you might lose a bird, you might not. Gltu.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
The photo is of my girl Remy the ultimate ppd a once in a life time boxer. Training was easy One reprimand or maybe two. and she was the Guardian of the flock . This is through lineage, I knew the history I seen and known the grandsire and sire. And The attributes and faults of the line.
If your boxer is young as your is .Repetitious award and praises,, you might lose a bird, you might not. Gltu.
A PPD?? Boy you really don't tell us much?? :)

Was she the only Boxer in the class?? Was she the only girl?? And why a girl for that job instead of a Boy?? Not saying the girl's can't do it, but the Boy's are bigger.

And I hope that "once in a life time thing," is a myth?? Cuz I would so luv to chase "Bunny's," on the open desert again! With a dog I can control! Now Stru never did catch one but that's not the point.

But Stru is gone and my current dog Bella (Boxer/Pit.) I live in fear of Bunny's ... we don't go to open plain's! If she see's a Bunny ... she is gone! :(

But she is a gorgeous girl! And a good color match for the chicken's! And what kind of chicken's are they?? I don't know a lot about chicken's but I know I don't see those every day??

·
Registered
344 Posts
Chip, She was a very big girl 80-88 lbs through out her adult life.Female? if you have the size I would take them every time over a male. Rabbits where a snack, I would post photos, a little upsetting to some, so I will refrain. The chickens are Buff Brahmas. ( I remember those desert jack rabbits they where the biggest ever!) As for her being a PPD that's a story for another time.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Chip, She was a very big girl 80-88 lbs through out her adult life.Female? if you have the size I would take them every time over a male. Rabbits where a snack, I would post photos, a little upsetting to some, so I will refrain. The chickens are Buff Brahmas. ( I remember those desert jack rabbits they where the biggest ever!) As for her being a PPD that's a story for another time.
80 to 88 lbs??? OMG ... OK, point made!

My Struddell, weighted in at 65 lbs and it took her 3 to 4 year's to do that. I'd have said 55 lbs justy looking at her?? But muscle weighs more than fat. She was a little thing but hey what she lacked in mass?? She made up with cuteness. :)

And the rabbit's LOL, she never really had a fair chance to catch one. I stacked the deck's against her out the gate. First it was open desert, so home field advantage went to the JR's. And on top of that ... I was the spotter. My job to see them first, her job was to wait for release.

If the rabbit broke towards the highway ... it was "NO," If it broke towards the Mountains?? It was Game On! So the Rabbit's always had a 5 second or so head start.

Now even with the head start, she get close enough on the stright to make the JR cut hard (right into brush) they always went right?? And then come right back out onto the straight and sail away.

Stru, would always follow their cut into the brush, like a heat seeking missile and then lose then??? Every time, it was like clock work, you already know what is gonna happen. :)

Now a Greyhound or a Afghan Hound, I might have had to more of an adjustment in the delay?? On the other from one I have heard of Greyhound's?? You do crap like that and you'll never see your dog again?? I don't know??

Being able to do that kinda silly I suppose. Is my goal with Bella, but right now not a chance! I fear Bunny's, more goals are more modest. I didn't start with a puppy, this time. an

And I avoid known Bunny area's. I lowered my expectations, and set different goals.So within strictly controlled conditions, she is an off leash dog!

I can take her out and let her run "hog butt wild as it were, and come home with her! Sigh that is a big deal! Set your goals low and they are easy to achieve. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts