Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

As a new boxer owner this is the first fall and winter with our new guy.
I know how easy they can over heat in the summer and we learned quick to look for those signs.

Wondering how they are for cold? Should we invest in a jacket for Rex or just a sweater?
We still have the boots from our old dog for the deep cold days but none of her sweaters fit Rex.
For reference. Morning temp right now for our walk are around 4c but we will be around -10c for a lot of the winters with times down to -30c

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think the general rule is yes if they will be out in the cold for awhile its best to get a jacket/sweater. I have not had to use one as my guy loves the cold, snow winter. Ive always checked him when we are out but his ears, paws are fine and he never shivers. I guess i got a strange one.lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I use coats on my dogs when we are out in the mornings on our walks of at least an hour the problem with them is it’s hard to fit them in a proper coat I use the horse blanket style I use Foggy Mountain dog coats the nylon style they block the wind and are easy to wash hang dry I have had the same two coats now for my previous dogs now my current dogs wear them. They are a little pricey but worth it they are online. My dogs are comfortable in the cold until it gets below 30 degrees and wind is blowing I have never tried the boots

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Ok being American I had to off course "Google, -10 C? And I get 14 F and I would say ... are you kidding me? Most car's with out the cold weather package, struggle out here at 13 F, Ice forming on the inside windows, is common. And when you step out of the car and take a breath ... your lung's felt like they were on fire!

My Struddell, White Boxer never left the back yard in that kind of crap! 32 f, for 30 minuets or so was fine. And she was good with that, and for 30 minuets or so she did not need a Sweater or boot's in at that temp. And Struddlle, did not like Rain or high wind's. But my ... "All Weather Dog," Working Line GSD? He Luv'd that crap if the News said "Winter Storm warning," ... it ment to us, "Time for a Walk!" Freezing Cold, Pounding Rain, and blowing wind's meant nothing to him. If the winds were blowing hard, Stru would not go out the door! :)

But "Rocky,' never cared all he needed was a "leash," uh which we did not use, he was an "off leash trained dog, and uh "No One, was out there anyway. :)

But back on point ... Search and Rescue Dog's ie All, weather dogs, have a common trait, double coats and long fur! They have to be ready to roll at a moment's notice and go! And none of the "truly," "All Weather Dog's," have a stubby face and a single (short coat?) That just does not happen, Boxer's are not "All weather dog's.

It's not really there thing? But hey if you really want to go for it? And you don't need to be ready at a moments notice? Just "gear him as it were."

Sadly he has passed and Jessmike disappeared after she lost Aspen. But Aspen knew how to "Rock The Cold:

Dog Snow Dog supply Dog breed Dog clothes

Now that is a "Boxer," that is "Geared Up," for crazy low temps! I'd have just left him home myself but hey that's just me. :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ok being American I had to off course "Google, -10 C? And I get 14 F and I would say ... are you kidding me? Most car's with out the cold weather package, struggle out here at 13 F, Ice forming on the inside windows, is common. And when you step out of the car and take a breath ... your lung's felt like they were on fire!

My Struddell, White Boxer never left the back yard in that kind of crap! 32 f, for 30 minuets or so was fine. And she was good with that, and for 30 minuets or so she did not need a Sweater or boot's in at that temp. And Struddlle, did not like Rain or high wind's. But my ... "All Weather Dog," Working Line GSD? He Luv'd that crap if the News said "Winter Storm warning," ... it ment to us, "Time for a Walk!" Freezing Cold, Pounding Rain, and blowing wind's meant nothing to him. If the winds were blowing hard, Stru would not go out the door! :)

But "Rocky,' never cared all he needed was a "leash," uh which we did not use, he was an "off leash trained dog, and uh "No One, was out there anyway. :)

But back on point ... Search and Rescue Dog's ie All, weather dogs, have a common trait, double coats and long fur! They have to be ready to roll at a moment's notice and go! And none of the "truly," "All Weather Dog's," have a stubby face and a single (short coat?) That just does not happen, Boxer's are not "All weather dog's.

It's not really there thing? But hey if you really want to go for it? And you don't need to be ready at a moments notice? Just "gear him as it were."

Sadly he has passed and Jessmike disappeared after she lost Aspen. But Aspen knew how to "Rock The Cold:

View attachment 136869

Now that is a "Boxer," that is "Geared Up," for crazy low temps! I'd have just left him home myself but hey that's just me. :)
Love it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts