Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Boxers and Drones!!! on Week 7 of "Training Time With Smokey"

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  VirginiaHart 
#1 ·
Week 7 of "Training Time With Smokey" demonstrates an off-leash walk with my 19 week old Boxer puppy...while I fly my Phantom 3 drone around.

I discuss the process I used to train Smokey to heel off leash.

https://youtu.be/mK9VmqyScJE

#2 ·
A freaking drone??? Absolutely ... outstanding! I was already impressed by the fact that she stayed next to you as you walked out to the street???

But to be clear a "Prong" and an "E-collar training" used on an "un-traditionally" young puppy are what "you" used?? Near as I can tell ... No one does that???

I can't argue with your results and you puppy seems fine! So she is basically off leash already in what 4 weeks??? Wit the use of "advanced tools??"

I've not seen that done?? I'm most impressed! Even thought I tend to ask pointed questions, ... helps out others. :)

In any case yet again "Excellent Work!" :cheers:

#5 ·
LOL well thanks for that ... learning to distinguish between "questions" and "criticism" is "apparently" an art??

I use a lot of the threads I started (here) pretty much all the time and looking back on some of them ... now I'm like "WOW" ... "who brought that dog into the "Dog Park Kinda thing???" :chair:

I seemed to have "ticked off" one of my "Pro Friends" on the GSDFoum. :(

She saw my posts/threads here and suggested I kick it up a notch over there! Apparently ... there are alot of "Pet People" over there and they seemed to do alot of the "Click and Treat" stuff with "alot of dogs with "serious freaking issues" and not having much luck ...so in full on Homie mode "I kicked it up a notch their and as I am want to say ... :

It was "Game ON" as they say! Lot's of dust ups ensued and I kept the mods working over time! That "one upsmanship" thing (in one thread) kinda stopped me cold??? Much to my "annoyance" I could not figure out how to respond to what I felt were a lot of "broad sweeping generalizations" without being accused of "one upsmanship??" :chair:

Ticked me off but when the dust settled .... I seem to have switched sides??? I've actually "ticked her off" I think the Dog is a Dog thing did that???

If you can train a dog you can train a dog ... "Breed doesn't matter" yes some quirks "Boxers and short attention spans" and GSDs and people issues but if you can train dogs ... you can train dogs. Living with them (A particular Breed) is another matter and yes different dogs do different things but the basics (Pet Principles) are still the same ... "don't be acting like a fool dog!"

At any rate ... when the dust settled, I seemed to have switched sides?? The peoples favorite as it were??? And now she seems to be ticked off at me?? Aww well ... what are you gonna do ... she brought the "Bad Dog" into the "Dog Park" as it were and lost control. That's why I don't take my dogs to them ...some people can't control there dogs. :)

Back on pointe ... the "E Collar and a Prong???" On a dog as young as yours??? "No One" does that??? And I can guarantee if you even mention using those tools on a puppy under at less than 16 weeks (there) ... people would have a freaking cow!!!

But as I am want to say ... I am a "Missouri" kinda guy:

And ... you did!!! :clap2:

We can all see your dog, so the only "arguments" that could be given would to be from the hard core "I don't care" and I am going to tell you that would did ... "can't be done" and here is why!

Yeah ... not my style "I tend to say" per Jeff "Show your work!" And ... well you have! I would say that ... I'm not entirely sure the "average" owner could do what you did?? But ... that it can be done ... is no longer a question! :)

If someone asked me "how long does it take for your dog to be fully off leash trained ... I'd have said ... I have no idea???

Rocky my GSD with (former) people issues, is the only dog I ever trusted off leash. Gunther and Struddell were reliable but I never allowed it??

Gunther I can't really say why not, Struddel I can ... I've just had a lot of very heartbreaking losses with Boxers and Boxer/Mixes so "I" was just not willing to alow them off leash on neighborhood walks... that had nothing to do with the "Dogs" or training ... that was just about "me."

Moving on ... now ... if asked I would say for a dog to be fully off leash trained ... using the "Kolher Method of Dog Training (KMODT))" it takes at a minimum 10 weeks for a dog to be fully off leash trained.

That was the only method I was aware of that could "guarantee" that result! That "was" the case ... until you and "Smokie!" :)

I think it's fair to question whether the average dog owner can do what you've done?? But that it "can" be done ... well there is no longer any doubt!!

I'm not the one to try and "convince you" that what you've achieved can't be done! My "challenge" when I get my next puppy will be to see if I can achieve "similar" results with only a "SLL??" So ...once again ...job well done! :clap2:

#4 ·
Pretty cool, Unfortunately here we have leash laws so we have not done any off lead training other than recall in the backyard. I think its great how he is learning almost makes me want to break the law. LOL but I'm one of those people who cannot even walk into a big box store thru the exit door.

#7 ·
I think we have leash laws here??? But by and large ... no one cares.

Unfortunately here they do...not only do you get a fine from the Parish, but the subdivision too in the tune of about $300. plus everyone is "lawsuit"happy. Now if I lived on acreage I would consider it but the risk is too high where I am at.

#8 ·
WOW ... seriously?? That would suck ... I won't tell "Rocky" such laws exist. :)

NV dog bite law is rather vague?? No requirements to leash "per se" but if your dog does bite someone and he is not on leash ... there best be a good explanation! I'm good with that, my dogs know how to make "good choices." :)

#9 ·
Heads up for "Smokies handler" ... the E-Collar and Prong thing on a puppy that young?? Certainly not "conventional" still "you showed your work" ... good enough for me! :)

I do question the ability of others to do the same?? I came up with the term 5% for folks like us. Not everybody can do what a very few of us can but "some can." Good enough.

But a heads up! I mentioned you guys on the gsd forum and as expected yesss "folks are not amused" ... one of my "friends" ... in fact!! As predicted ... "that can't/should not" be done! Well since you had proof ... I said yes it can and he "Showed his work" I saw the puppy and she looks fine. And her behaviour is "amazing!" Good enough for me! :)

I noticed you don't have "comments" turned off on your Youtube Channel??? I didn't post a link ... but on GSD some of us are kinda anal?? I have no idea if she will track you "guys" down?? Jeff says turn comments off ... just saying.

I have no idea if she will track you guys down??? So ... just a heads up there! In any case I got your back! Homie style ... and:

:)

#10 · (Edited)
hahah I am glad your doggo doesn't get distracted the way mine does. I was actually kind of skeptical when it came to using drones at first but I have seen a lot of dog owners use them in their training and I have been thinking that with the recent trends of companies using drones in every day life it might be a good idea for me to have my dog used to the noises they make. The only thing I had to figure out what kind of drone I needed. Since it was for dog training I didn't want to buy something fancy because I was sure he would chew on it. I was looking online for inspiration so to speak when I came across this really cool blog post about drones. You guys can check it here if you need some type of reference : https://buyersimpact.co.uk/. I personally found the information over there extremely useful and I did buy one of the drones from their list. My doggie had a lot of fun learning with it. I have some crazy videos hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.