Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cane toads, not frogs. Secrete a poision very fatal to small animals like cats and small dogs. It is absorbed by mucous membrane and no real treatment. They release it as a defense mechanism. Thankfully many dogs will avoid after first lick, hopefully just a small one. Others, like Flash, are like an addict and couldn’t seem to resist. He did get better when older, just when young, it was a challenge. We are 45 minutes from. Vet at best. Immediate flushing and benedryl were our only alternatives. Thankfully the current 2 pups aren’t interested but we remain vigilan.

Reactions: chip18 and Rick_503

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Cane toads, not frogs. Secrete a poision very fatal to small animals like cats and small dogs. It is absorbed by mucous membrane and no real treatment. They release it as a defense mechanism. Thankfully many dogs will avoid after first lick, hopefully just a small one. Others, like Flash, are like an addict and couldn’t seem to resist. He did get better when older, just when young, it was a challenge. We are 45 minutes from. Vet at best. Immediate flushing and benedryl were our only alternatives. Thankfully the current 2 pups aren’t interested but we remain vigilan.
Well after further reading we DO have toads here in Oregon and all over the western US.... Aptly named the "western toad" and also very toxic to dogs, I will have to keep my eye out, I've seen plenty of frogs and heard the constant choir at night but never a toad? Thank you for posting this!! Be a great idea to pack more first aid supplies everywhere we go. Benadryl (what is the dose for boxers?) and what is the best thing to flush their mouth with besides water?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well after further reading we DO have toads here in Oregon and all over the western US.... Aptly named the "western toad" and also very toxic to dogs, I will have to keep my eye out, I've seen plenty of frogs and heard the constant choir at night but never a toad? Thank you for posting this!! Be a great idea to pack more first aid supplies everywhere we go. Benadryl (what is the dose for boxers?) and what is the best thing to flush their mouth with besides water?

Rick I know normal dosage is 1 mg per lb of dog. So basically I have 25mg tablets, Zuke is 85 so when I have used it I did 3 tablets which would be for a 75 lb dog.

·
Super Moderator
7,098 Posts
My boxers all love to swim, the docked, the tailed... all are great at it. I think it’s because the Europeans tend to be more balanced front to back. My American girl couldn’t swim one bit, she would sink and panic. A life jacket was her best friend and helped give her the confidence to enjoy herself.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Nope that's not it. My 100% all American girl, at a slim and trim 65 lbs?? Still small in stature by male standers?? Could apparently swim, like a fish. Now I will grant I was lucky and it was a "Duck assisted," one off but she swam out and back without help or effort. :)

Now sure it was a one time occurrence and staying clear of large body's of water is pretty easy out here., but she did it. Bunny chasing in the summer was more her thing ... Bunny's play fair. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can’t get my boxer to swim for nothing in this world. On occasion she may swim after my girlfriends dog (chocolate lab go figure) in the beach but if she does it’s ti and back she won’t stick around. I thought it was maybe she was scared of the waves but she was the same way at a calm lagoon area I’ve taken her. I bought a life vest and she still hates the water. I’m a big water guy so for me this bums me out but oh well what can I do.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I can’t get my boxer to swim for nothing in this world. On occasion she may swim after my girlfriends dog (chocolate lab go figure) in the beach but if she does it’s ti and back she won’t stick around. I thought it was maybe she was scared of the waves but she was the same way at a calm lagoon area I’ve taken her. I bought a life vest and she still hates the water. I’m a big water guy so for me this bums me out but oh well what can I do.
LOL, well if she will swim after her friend and then come back?? Good enough, for a Boxer! Rex the underwater dog is "apparently," a one off. He was not trained to do that, he just did it. There is always gonna be one. :)

Boxer's can swim it seem's, they just don't seem to like to for the most part?? We had a small wading pool, for our dog's out here for the summer and our Band Dog, part lab would flop and roll around in the water. But Struddell never did that?? It did not matter how hot it was, if she got in the wading at all?? She would walk around trying to grab her Duck, Duck but that was it?

So feet only, was as much water as she had ever been in?? So the "Duck Pond," was a surprise for both of us??? But most likely she was a one off, also?? Open Desert, high elevation, and 90 degree summers was Bunny chasing weather! And she excelled at that and White Boxer and all she never got sun burned!

Once in a life time dog?? I suppose so, I "avoid," Bunny's with my new Boxer/Pit! If I let her cut loose in the open desert, I'm not sure I'd see her again?? Now she does go "off leash," all the time. But I chose the terrain and we only go to "Dog Bowl's," no open Desert. An owner has got to know there limitations. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts