Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was wondering if I could get your opinions about boxers as PTSD service dogs and if you think the breed would be suited for such a job. The tasks they'd have to perform would be tasks such as blocking, which is creating personal space for the handler in a nonaggressive manner, waking up the handler and turning on the lights during night terrors, search the house for intruders upon command to help the handler feel safe, guiding the handler to a safe place during flashbacks or dissociative episodes, and other similar tasks. The disposition of a service dog is also very specific, and they would also be emotional support dogs, able to ease the handler's anxiety and comfort them. The more detailed your explanation, the better. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have any insight on whether or not they think a boxer could be the dog for the job?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I don't think they'd make very good therapy dogs for PTSD. Their natural instinct at guarding might cause them to go into a more aggressive mode instead of just blocking, or patrolling the house. I think they're extremely intuitive of their masters, but could become depressed living in a situation where there is not a lot of activity, or silliness. There is also the stubborn streak, and might just decide not to work that particular day. It might work in a group setting where there are several other dogs, and enough human who do not have PTSD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your insight. Those are some great points. Do you think that they could function well as emotional support dogs (trained to do some service tasks, but not enough to be considered a service dog) for individuals not necessarily considered to be disabled? For example, those suffering from anxiety or depression or hypervigilance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think any dog could serve any purpose, if raised/trained correctly. Certain breeds do have things breed into them, like guarding or hunting, but in reality a dog is a people pleaser, and that instinct is much stronger than any other. If you're a strong enough trainer you can teach almost any dog to do anything.

Boxers are known as "guard dogs" but they are also known to be amazing family pets that are gentle with children and loyal to their family. I've taught my boxer to never bark, and have exposed him to all kinds of people and situations. Someone could ring the doorbell or even just walk into my house and he just wags his tail and begs for attention.

·
Registered
23 Posts
old thread I know but not true!My Cane Corso Mastiff was my ptsd dog and at 130 pounds he was a monster. but was the best he knew when I was getting in a mood and would keep people away from me by BUTT yup thats right he BUTT checked them, Then put he head on my lap all 80 pounds of it he had a big darn head in my lap till I was ok then we were like peas in a pod. I Hope Thanos response that well for me. But I have the best trainer in the world Scott Cole in SAnford Florida Military and law endorsement discounts Just a great guy he is on Facebook

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Well to say piece of cake ... might be a little over stated??? But if " you" have the resources to train a CC as a PTSD?? Then the "right" Boxer should be a piece of cake! :)

And for the record ... I know of another CC that was also a "PTSD" dog ex Afghanistan Vet and also a GSD guy! Which brings me to my other point. Working Line GSD's are not "Guard Dog's," they are uh ... "Attack Dog's!" IE if they don't know you ... they will "mess you up!" Still ... like "Boxers" they are "Working Dog's" ... and there "job" is to do "whatever there owners require." :)

If WL GSD can do the "PTSD" support thing ... the right "Boxer Prospect" should be a Price of Cake. Cuz as a general rule "Boxers tend to like people" ... and GSD's ...not so much. :)

But if you did a CC ... well Boxers are also "Molossers Dog's." These guys's :
Molossers breeds (Molosser dogs, Molossers, Mastiff breeds)

Just a smaller version of your CC. I think you two will do just fine. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts