Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to the board and its great. I just a male boxer pup, 6 weeks old, very beutiful. I noticed that the tail was docked all the way off, nothing really of a tail is left. Is this how its done at that age and it will grow out some or is it possible it was docked incorrectly?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Don't have an answer to that one, but I don't think they grow in length but just get thicker.  Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"51338 said:
Ok first of all any breeder allowing their pup to go at 6 weeks is not all that responsible.  Second if they docked the tail completely off, that seconds my first statement.

Seriously.  Somebody skipped Breeding 101.  It's scary how irresponsible some people are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. Actually the three breeders I looked at were all letting thier pups go at 6-7 weeks. My pup is actually 7 weeks old. When we went get the pup I guess I was so overwhelmed over which to choose and my kids being so excited about getting one,I never noticed the tail till I got home last night. I have to admit I could have bought from a more reputalbe breeder but didnt feel like pay over $500 for a dog. Thats just me. Thanks for your concerns, I'll post up some pics tonight.

I just remembered I have a link to the a vid. the breeder made of "Tyson"
Tyson

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pup. I checked out the video and I have to say I didn't really see any nub at all. I've never actually seen one like that so I don't know what to tell you. I think they butchered him. Did they take off his dew claws? If so, how do they look?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Did they use a pair of scissors?  He's adorable either way, but I'd call up whoever you got him from and tell them they are butchering puppies.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You will love it here! Don't confuse these "negative" posts to be against you or your puppy but the breeder who chopped off their tails.

We're a wonderful family here and I don't want you to think your getting negative responses. Anyway... HE is GORGEOUS!! His tail is too short in my opinion also. I'm not sure what the negatives to his tail being TOO SHORT are but hopefully nothing serious. Normally a puppy is given up at 8 weeks of age and they are required to have a health certificate. They have to be checked at 8 weeks to get the certificate... at least here in FL and that's how it worked with Odin. Our breeder was going to let us have Odin 2 days earlier because it would have been a much EASIER trip... but in the end we had to wait.

Welcome to the BoxerForum family! If anything... take him to the vet and make sure his tail won't be an issue along with anything else... maybe dew claws... etc... to see if it might end up costing your family a lot of money. So you can talk to the breeder before too much time has passed.

Anyway... hope we were of some help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
i second sully.. i was scared that harleys tail was too short.. but his is at least a 1"-1 1/2" long.. your little guy is beautiful but looks like he dont even have a nub.. someone needs to call up the breeder and let him know what he is doing

also i got harley at 9.5 weeks old...and that seemed right to me.. but not 6 weeks

also .. from what ive heard .. and im still new to this... there are no negative affects to how short the tail is docked.. unless it messes with the spine.. but you will know that the moment its docked and since he is playing/walking/being a puppy then he is okay.

he is b-e autiful

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just seen the video lol. I am blind I tell you. I think he is very cute and I agree with Mastray his tell is very short but it will grow out a little but not much. Only time will tell how far. I didn't notice you were new so welcome and no matter the length of your puppy's tail he is so adorable.
Samantha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts