Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question:  We're thinking about going to the river tomorrow to just hang out on the bank. We'd like to take our 9-month-old male Boxer, Merlin. Do Boxers usually like water? It's going to be so hot (97 or so), that he'll have to get in the water to cool off. I hate to leave him home because he has a separation anxiety problem.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Mine love it.   They love the sprinkler, kiddle pools, the bath and especially the pool!  

I think its depends on the dog, some may love it, some may not.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Absolutely, take him with you! At the very least it's a great way to introduce him to the water, but let him go at his own pace. He may just want to put his feet in and drink, then again, be prepared if he wants to do more...If he's comfortable in the water, if you take a few of his toys with you, that's a great way to teach him how to "fetch" as well...Tennis balls work well too.

Some boxers love the water, some don't. Buck was my water baby, learned to swim at 10 wks and never looked back. If someone was in the pool, so was he.. I have a ton of pics that I need to get scanned & you can see how much he loved it. Now Tia, hated the pool, but loved sprinklers...Hmmmmm...Samson will go into the creek, only if you get in with him, he'll take a quick dip, then he's done....Angel, well the jury is still out on her.... :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah would only stand in my sisters pond, but when we went to the meetup she followed all of the other dogs right in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since there's water, it won't be too hot for him will it? (Can you tell I'm a worried Mama???)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would take him and see how he does.  Fiona is 5 months and so far she will only go right to the edge of the river and get her feet wet, she will not get in.  If there is some shade for him to get in and you take a water dish just in case he does not get in to swim I think it would be fine.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mia can swim.. lol she loves it.. I take her to every outdoor event I possibly can..

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Another thing you can do, is have a couple extra towels, get them wet and if Merlin does get hot, you can wrap one around his chest and belly area...Samson like me to rub ice on his chest...Is that spoiled or what?  :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
My new baby hazel keeps going under the picnic table cause of the rain, and its not raining hard at all lol. my Popeye doesnt mind it that much though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It took Zeus a while to adapt to get in and actually swim. First couple of times he wouldnt go in past his knees. But now since i get in with him and swim at the lake and we take Dante which loves to swim. Zeus will follow and try his best to be a swimmer, but stay on your toes cause you might have to help him if he gets confused. Zeus gets confused of where to go sometimes. lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
Astro loves the water.  He likes to get sprayed down with the hose.  This summer, my boyfriend and I took him to the beach for the first time ever, and he enjoyed swimming.  However, Roxy doesn't want to have anything to do with water, unless it's in her bowl.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel loves the water. he'll hop in circles around our pool until someone picks him up and brings him in. He's also constantly walking laps in our daughter's little pool.

The hose is a different story though. goofy dog. lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
Two of ours have liked the water and and two have hated the water.  Teaki won't even go off the step if it is raining, she hates baths and swimming, if it is REALLY hot she will get a little wet in the sprinkler.   :D Berekely would tolerate a bath but didn't like it at all, didn't like getting wet outside either.  Calli and Ziggi both liked water.  Calli loved to swim in the lake and get in the kiddie pool, Ziggi loves to get in the pool (we have to have a doggie lifejacket for him or he will fall face first in the water).  He also loves sprinklers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I take my older Boxer walking around a lake alot.....she tried to go swimming with my moms dog, and sank like a rock.  SO.....she is scared of water now!  SHe will go to the bank and drink the lake water if she is thirsty, but will NOT swim!  My boyfriend and I are going to try really hard to get her used to the water.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Chance swims in my mother in laws pool(when she is not home hubby puts him in with him to swim cuz my mother in law says it is a people pool not a dog pool :roll: ) But when he put Layla in she has a sinking problem....lol she refused to swim...good thing hubby had his hands around her waist just in case. So i guess it depends on the dog. We have one that loves it and one that hates it(she whines and cries when she has to go out and go potty if it is even sprinkling....spoiled little baby!!!  lol Have fun

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is soo funny!!  Chloe so trusts my boyfriend so hopefully she will get the swimming thing!  I'm gonna let him know what you had to say!  So Layla, by the way love the name!, hates to swim??  She still doesn't get the no sink thing????

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
nope...she goes right under and wont even try to swim...hubby wont give up though....he keeps trying everytime we are there so maybe one day she will catch on. Chance just takes off and swims everywhere. He loves it. Hubby first did it to cool them down on the hot days when we were there but Layla says she would rather be hot   lol

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
well...Diesel jumped in our pool 2 days ago. My husband and daughter were swimming, and I guess he couldn't stand by and wait until I put him in.

I didn't really expect he would do it so soon. I knew he'd do it eventually, but I suppose I underestimated him lol

He took a running leap, jumped over the side, and went right to the bottom. Kicked himself back up, and swam a few laps around the pool, before coming to me to get out.

That was the first time he actually swam without help though. Normally I'll hold him under his belly, just to make sure he stays above the water. But he sure loved it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Macy loves the water, but only if she can touch the bottom. If she can't touch she freaks out and I have to pull her out. We got her a life jacket so she can float around. She's alright with it, but still would rather wade in.

If you introduce a dog early enough to water I think they are better swimmers. Macy is terrible, but her boxer friends, Diesel and Vinny are excellent swimmers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kaiser finally went in all the way this weekend.  he was going for a ball that was just out of reach, he went all the way in and stopped even trying for the ball.  he just kept going.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts