Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I was just wondering if anyone had a boxer who still had it's natural tail, and what kind of obsticles that provided?  They are so easily excited I didn't know how it would compare to any other kind of dog.  We're looking a adopting a boxer with her natural tail and I didn't know that caused any problems.  
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
They're only a problem if they get injured (well, assuming you don't mind bruised legs and keep everything off of coffee tables etc. ;) ) - Boxer tails can be very difficult to heal, as they are generally constantly re-injuring them before they're fully healed.  The biggest issue is the tip splitting - this would be similar to ear tips splitting on uncropped dogs, which is not uncommon, and means long healing and blood slinging all over the place.  I suggest stocking up on Mr. Clean Magic Erasers should a split occur. :)  A break is also a possibility, and either may require an amputation if they cannot heal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Going from a greyhound to a boxer, I'm still trying to get used to not worrying about stepping on a tail when stepping over my dog.  Anyway, with greyhounds, split tails are a constant worry.  Luckily, I only had a problem once since Max wasn't a big tail wagger.  It happened after a bath and he was shaking off in a bathroom that was much too small.  Whacked it on the sink.  Didn't realize it until the next time he went to shake and blood sprayed all over the bathroom.  Luckily the blood stopped fairly quickly.  Other owners keep a styptic pen handy for just such an emergency.  Also, to protect the tip once injured, the owners would wrap it with a bandage or gauze and then tape on a hair roller slipped over the tip.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yep, hitting the tail on something is the primary cause of splits - walls, tables, furniture legs, crate sides, etc.  With ears it's generally crate sides or tops, but also the pressure of a hard head shake contributes.  (If you've ever been hit in the face by a Boxer ear shake, you know how hard that can be! ;) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts