Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're getting a Boxer pup in the next couple months to play with our boy Baz! I'm excited about it you have no idea! Anyways, we're debating over getting a boy or a girl.  What is the difference in manner between a boy and a girl boxer? Are boys more rough and want to play much harder then girl? Or is it just about even?  Are girls more snuggly? I mean Baz is really really snuggly, but I was just curious!
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was wondering about the dominance issues?  Baz is a very confident male so I didn't know if a female would be more submissive?

G

·
0 Posts
lol...Jetta I think is more rough than Bo in their play, both with me and with him...they are both very snuggly and sweet...I personally like having a male and a female...they both are great, they compliment each other in their build and overall looks...and there is less likelihood for aggression issues...If Baz is a girl...I would definately go with a male only because of the higher incidence of aggression issues between female dogs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baz is a boy... I was leaning towards a female as it is, but I wanted to see what everyone thinks about the whole deal!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
ive heard male female combos work best but two males has worked for some as well while others have 2 girls without many problems. from all the people ive spoken to two females seems to be the biggest problem but that isnt everyones experience. When i get my next pup it will be a female since we have a male but to be honest it is because i like girl names and pink collars and stuff..and my bf wont let me dress maverick up but ill be able to put coats etc on the girl...haha warped logic? oh well...also ive been looking into rescue and ive read in the rules that many wont place two females together. i think every dog is different but girl/boy combos seem to have less problems.

good luck and cant wait to see pics!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm curious to see how things work out, I think I'll go the female route just to be on the safe side. I don't think Baz will have protecting the girlfriend issues, it would really suprise me, he's really chill.  
Yeah my fiance got annoyed with me when I got Baz a neon pink leash becuase it would be easier to see in the night time for walks(I couldn't find an orange one)! So I'm thinking that will become the girls leash once she gets here! I'm so excited about it.  Anyways, I figured the boy-girl combo would be the best!

G

·
0 Posts
I was wondering this same thing.

We will get another boxer when Binga is older.  She is female so we didn't know if we should get a male or another female.  I wanted another girl, but after reading this, we may need to look for a male.

hmmmm.   :?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Of our three, I think PUA(only little bitty girl) is the BUTTKICKER!LOL! However, having said that...we have TWO males and there are dominance issues...I have heard there is less of that with one boy one girl...definitely something to consider...we won't do two boys again...no matter how much fun these two have been!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Generally speaking, opposite-sex pairs are the least troublesome combination.  That does depend in large part on the individual dogs, though - I've had male-male fights, female-female fights, and male-female fights.  In my experience, males fight more readily and often, but females fight more seriously and hold grudges.  Spay/neuter does decrease the likelihood of conflict, as does a clear human leadership role (many fights are for 'pack position' - and actually most dogs do not want to be pack leaders, but rather feel as if they must; if the human is the clear leader, there's no need for the dogs to fill that position).  I do recommend Patricia McConnell and Karen London's book, "Feeling Outnumbered", for multiple-dog households; it has very good practical suggestions for establishing leadership and setting guidelines for polite behavior. (Can be found at www.dogwise.com and other online booksellers.)

As to personality - I find males to be more mellow and snuggly in general than females.  (Not that my girls aren't snuggly and lovable, but it's different than the sweet, 'momma's boy' thing you get in a male.)  Of course, again, the individual dog is the deciding factor and there will be some females who are complete snugglers and some males who are more independent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I,ve heard two female boxers CAN be more difficult, but I,m sure it does depend on personality, unfortunately getting a puppy you won't know how dominering their personality would be. If you get another male your best bet would be to neuter your males. Neutering can reduce the agression level of your male dogs towards other dogs. I would also do your homework on checking with the breeder to find out the temperments of both parents. Try to spend some time with the parents if possible, if you find a good breeder they should be able to give you some advice from the parents personalities and have a good sense of their litter. Good luck to you, how exciting!!! :D

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've always heard that the male female pair works the best. As far as male female differences, I tend to think that females are much more stubborn.  Males to me are much easier to train and more laid back. I think they are the same snuggly wise, and I think Maddie is much rougher when she plays then was Buster, but Buster had all sorts of joint issues too, so not quite sure on that one. My next will definitely be a male, I love my girl Maddie to death, but I am partial to the males!  :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have two girls and one boy. I have had no issues of any kind between them at all except white dog throws a fit when one of the girls has a toy. Other than that they all get along quite well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a male and a female.  I'm getting ready to add a 3rd and it will be another male.  I always heard that 2 females were not too good so I'm going with another male.  My female is also the dominant one out of the two.  Good luck with which ever you get!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't have ever thought that boys will be more cuddly then girls. Doesn't it depend on how you bring up the pup? More cuddles and kisses the more the like them? I'm totally naive so I'm not sure what to do about it... I mean I'm just thinking logically! We'll probably settle in with a girl. I'm really excited about it.  I've emailed the boxer rescue people in my area to see what breeders they prefer and which they think are BAD.  So I hope that will help.  Anyways, Thanks so much everyone!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've had 2 sets of m/f and that is my preference..Definitely I found the males to be more snuggly, least mine are....The females are a bit more independent, again, mine have been that way....Samson is definitely Alpha in our house, but Angel could very well be, but she has learned to defer to Samson, that took time tho.Never had any fights with them, minor disagreements only..Buck & Tia had 2 pretty bad fights that I had to step in and break up, both instigated by Tia...As we will be bringing a new pup into the mix soon, it will be interesting to see what happens, yes it will be a male, but our reasoning is that with Mr Apha, he can tolerate a pup much better than an adult male....Plus he loves babies  :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have had two females (Boxer and Great Dane) and a male (OES) before and the two females had some pretty serious fights. The male was so happy go lucky - he just went with whatever they wanted him to do. Jennifer is totally right on the holding a grudge thing - boy, my female boxer could hold a grudge...Now we have the male/female combo and other than the occassional toy issue, these two get along great. I would be hesitant to combine two same sex dogs again, but then my experience was not a pleasant one. My male now is very lovable and likes to snuggle. Lucy is ADD (so I think) so it is always like she doesn't have time for all that...ha ha...but when we go to bed she plasters herself right up in the middle between us so I guess she is kind of a snuggler.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We had three females (were never told that you shouldn't put females together until AFTER we had them).  We started with Calli and added Berkeley who was a rescue (Calli was about 5 at the time and Berk was around 1).  Those two got along great.  There was no issues with fights between them because Calli was the dominate one from the beginning and Berk never cared.  

Then we got Teaki as a puppy and things were fine until she got to be about 2 then the fighting started between her and Berk (Calli never joined in).   Now we have Teaki and Ziggi (our male).  Ziggi is 30lbs bigger than Teaki and she still tries to be the dominate one so there are still some fights over things but I think that is from Teaki....she likes to growl and now Ziggi does it to.  He is the biggest snuggler out of the four boxers we have had and so laid back.  Calli was laid back but our other two females were not.   Our females were much more independent and like others said they can really hold a grudge!  8O

1 - 20 of 20 Posts