Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to have our other boxer, Rocco, put to sleep in February because the brain tumor finally got the best of him.

Wrigley was settling into his new role of being the only dog quite nicely.

Earlier this summer, he banged into the door frame a couple of times and I noticed his right eye seemed buggier than usual. so I took him to the vet. The vet did an exam and determined he had virtually no sight in that eye and suspected a brain tumor. He referred us to the U of I Veterinary Teaching Hospital (where we took Rocco). We took him there and they determined he had a brain tumor and that it was pressing on the optic nerve behind his right eye. His sight could not be restored and they couldn't remove the tumor because of it's location so they recommended removing the eye. We did that on 8/7 and he started taking chemo pills.

Last week, he started banging into things again and his left eye seemed buggier than usual. I took him to the vet on Thursday and he did an exam and feels he has virtually no sight in the left eye. While we knew the tumor could spread, we never thought it would be this soon. The last two days, he has gotten disoriented out in the yard but does pretty well in the house. So he is now wearing the harness with a handle that Rocco wore. We will go outside with him every time from now on and help him in the house, if need be. We have decided not to have the other eye removed and when it's time, we will have him put to sleep.

He also was due for an anal gland expression on Thursday so we had that done and were alarmed when the only thing the doctor found was some blood. He thinks it may be an infection so has him on an antibiotic for 10 days. If not, it might be a tumor. We go back in 10 days for a follow-up.

This is just so hard, given we just lost Rocco a few months ago. For now, we'll enjoy the time we have left with Wrigley.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Wrigley and very sorry to hear about Rocco. I haven't been on the forum as much as I used to.
I really need to catch up.
<Hugs>

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First I have to say ... I am so sorry! This just sucks!! But I have to ask did you get both of them from the same "Breeder??"
No, we did not. They were about 1 1/2 months apart in age. We got Rocco from a local breeder. We rescued Wrigley when he was 11 months old and he came from a breeder in another town.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh gees, so sorry to hear. Hopefully Wrigley has a lot more good days in front of him.
Thank you. He's doing pretty well. He knows his way around the house and some days does fine in the yard too. He's eating well, sleeping well and doesn't seem to be in pain.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We lost Mongo in March 2017 to a brain tumor and we lost Maggie in March 2018 to bladder cancer. :(

We now have Rudy - 8 month old crazy boxer puppy.

They sure don't live long enough. I'm sorry you lost both of yours. Wrigley is still holding his own. I'm sure Rudy keeps you busy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts