Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Most will tell you Royal cain is junk, but I fed it to mine as a pup as that is what he breeder had him on. I found it worked well for him the little kibbles were shaped and he found it easier to eat. I later @ 5 months took him off puppy food and began to feed him Victor his energy. He did well on that it was rated higher and a lot cheaper. He still eats Victor now we are using the bags with glucosamine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it seems Royal Canin is not an up to date quality food. I just wondered about the added taurine, EPA & DHA. With boxers being prone to heart health problems, I want to give him everything he needs.

So, with that being said, I do not feed Royal Canin either, but do people add fish oil and taurine to the diets? Could anyone leave some supplement brands I can look into?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't like breed specific food at all. Your best bet is to look into what is in the food, can you get it in your area and do the best you can within your limits.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Hmm ... well this is interesting??? And ironically enough ... you can put me down in the Royal Canine is a crap food camp ... and yet, if you have a "Pet" with a "specific" Medical need, it does appear to work ... ironically enough???

I did not have a dog but I did have a "Cat" that had UTI, and the only kibbel that he could eat without issues was "Royal Canine S/O. Overpriced "prescription required, low quality indergerent that it was ... it was the only "Kibbel" that he could eat without issue! And he lived to be 18 years old!

And rest assured that in 18 years ... I tried to feed him a higher quality kibbel?? But if I did ... it was back to the vet you go!!???

So my understand of R/C foods ... is that if you dog has a "specific medical condition" that requires a "specific" food ... then yeah R/C is the way to go?? Now that said ... "Breed Specific" foods?? Yeah ... NO, that is "Crap!" That is just a marketing gimmick, in my opinion. Every dog has four feet and fur?? Save for a couple of fur less breeds and they can all eat the same "Kibbel " I've seen R/C foods for Boxers and another type for GSD's ... in particular and yeah ... I don't buy it ... no pun intended. :)

But you mentioned in particular "Taurine" in particular?? I find that "interesting" because a lack of "Taurine" is why ... Cat's should not eat Dog Food! Dog foods do not contain "Taurine." Because dog's don't need it ... I would assume??

But that brings up another point ... why do you think your Boxer has health/heart issues??? Did a Vet tell you he has Cardiac problems??? Hopefully ... I am not responsible for people freaking about uh "Cancer/Neurological/Cardiac" problems with there Boxers?? And yes those are the big three but nothing has changed ... that is what it is.

And they are all determined by "Genetics" and the best protection against those ... is to get your Boxer from a Quality Breeder that does health testing. But ... it is what it is and there are millions of BYB Boxers out there (Pet Dog's) that don't like AKC AL Boxers??? (I don't know what you have) but there is type and typically ... they have slightly longer, narrower muzzles, deep chest and tiny waist. And AKC standards not withstanding ... millions of Boxers ... look just like that. :)

But that aside ... if you are looking for the best advise "Food" wise and "Non Kibbel" advise ... then hands down the best advise is a "Raw Diet."

It did not work for me because I found it to "confushing myself??" It's to easy to mess the "Raw thing up??" And if you do you can do more harm than good ... but that's just me??

But ... you could do the fish oil thing if you want to do but to keep that "Simple" you'd need to use a "Dog Specific" Fish Oil supplement! Fish oil ... is fat soluble, it can build up in the fat of the dog and become toxic. With dogs ... they need to have Vitamin E as a supplement in the Fish Oil or the Fsh oil is useless ie Fish Oil for humans won't work and could do harm without Vitamin E ... which is also fat soluble and could do harm!

And yeah ... I know it makes your head spin?? But to KISS, as mentioned Victor's which
has been mentioned and is also one of the food which has glucosamine and chondroitin as standard in specific formulas, and if you are a Costco member ... "kirkland Dog Food or there "Nature's Domain Grain Free Formulas" or "Zach's" if it is available where you are.;

Zach's Dog Food Home - Zach's Quality Dog Food

Those are just the one's I'm familiar with although Zach's is not available where I am??? There are lot's more high quality kibble. And the best source of information is DogFoodAdvisor.:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

But the "taurine" thing for dogs ?? I've not heard that one before???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. That was my guess that breed specific foods were just a marketing gimmick. The " DogFoodAdvisor" site has been a tremendous help in learning about dog foods.

My boxer is a rescue that came to me quite ill and underweight. The vet did not notice any heart problems, but I do not know anything about his parents or genetic makeup. The food he is on contains fish oils and probiotics. I may just supplement with extra sometimes just in case he needs some more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts