Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for awhile, reading posts and being jealous of all of your adorable boxers!

The reason for finding this board (and thank god there is one! :) ), is because I have decided to get a Boxer puppy. After all of the research and reading on temperament, health, training and all the other responsibilities, boxers are the one for me :). And after seeing all of the posts flying around, I will be getting my puppy from a reputable breeder.

So then here's the question for all the breeders out there: What does a reputable breeder look for in an owner? If this info is already out there, PLEASE direct me to the right place! I feel like I could provide the love, care, safety, and time, but am unsure if my standards meet up to those in the real world (usually they do, but I like to double check as well).

Any help will be wonderful! It looks like there is an exceptional group of people here and I can't wait to get to know everyone more!

Thanks! :)

Katy

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Good for you Katy... I've never saw anyone ask that question before... We're always talking about responsible breeders, but never responsible owners.  

I think any responsible breeder would be pleased if you would travel to them to see the environment the dogs are in.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi Katy & welcome..You are doing your homework and asking the right questions, which is a breeders expectation...

Here's a thread that I started and it goes into what a good breeder is and what they expect out of a potenntial boxer owner..Yes, a good breeder will ask you questions..Rhonda, Angel's breeder asked Marq & I a ton of them  :)

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=842

·
Registered
948 Posts
Congrats on deciding on a boxer puppy! Can't wait to see him/her when you get one.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome!  :)
Usually you start by filling out a puppy application with the breeder you are interested in and take it from there.  Here is a link with a comparison of BYB's and reputable breeders. It might help in your search for a breeder.

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome Katy!  Please consider rescue also.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome!  Glad you came out of hiding and awful glad you are doing research.  That is always the first good step!  Hopefully you will find the right one soon.  We can't wait to hear about your progress.   You will find plenty of us on here that can help with any question so feel free anytime!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Katy,

There are several great rescues in Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.  Most of these rescues will work with people in states surrounding their home state.  I think you should give them a shot.

It's great that your doing all this research.  I wish you the best of luck and hope that you have Boxer beans, burnouts and bunny hops to fill your home soon!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Everyone:)

RE: Rescue - I have looked into it, and haven't completely ruled it out. The plan (at least at this point) is to begin contacting them when I being contacting breeders.

Hopefully I'll have some fun news to share as the weeks go on :) And once something comes up, the pics will be quick to follow!

mom2scout&gunner - I tried PMing you, but it wasn't working... is there something different that I have to do?

Thanks again everyone :-D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I can highly recommend Dot Bryant of Interlude Boxers in Granger, Indiana.  I just got my latest pup from her and she is out of one of their daughters and their sire Cole.  She health test, has been breeding over 30 years and knows her lines and truly cares about her dogs.  They are all raised in their house with them and they are just crazy for their dogs.  I think they are listed in this forum under breeders.  I have had boxers myself for 26 years now, so have been around a few of them and also breeders.  My next dogs will also come from Interlude kennels.

Nano

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
What does a reputable breeder look for in an owner?
Different breeders have different specific criteria, of course - some will not place a puppy in a home with children under five, or with someone who has no Boxer experience, or in a home with a pool, or in a home without a fenced yard, or in a home with an electric shock fence, or in a home that feeds poor-quality food, etc.  In general, though, breeders are looking for someone who: is honest; has done some research and has at least a basic understanding of the breed (someone who wants a Boxer 'because they have short hair so don't shed', for example, really doesn't know much about the breed); is concerned about getting a well-bred puppy from a responsible breeder (rather than a "right now" puppy from whichever  breeder takes their check); understands that while color and gender preferences are fine, puppies are not sweaters, and it is the temperament and personality that is most important; is willing to keep in touch for the life of the dog; and will provide the puppy with the same level of quality care and affection that they'd receive if they stayed with the breeder.

Many breeders have puppy applications on their site, and as you read through a number of them you'll see many of the same basic questions in most, which will give you an idea of the main considerations breeders have when screening puppy homes.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thanks for adding that Newcastle..It reminded me how few questions the breeder asked when we picked up Buck years ago...Yes, she asked if we had a fenced yard, yes we owned our home, but that was it!! Most of the time she was going on and on about how expensive it was to "finish" a boxer, breeding etc...Didn't know better at the time, but we should have been more curious....I actually got asked more questions by the Boxer Rescue!! Rhonda, Angel;s breeder really quizzed us & we quizzed right back..Lol...

We had a long talk Sat about picking the right puppy for the right home and everything she said, mirrors what Newcastle said...Basically, expect to be questioned about your lifestyle, everything...The breeder wants to match the best pup possible to you!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts