Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can answer...

If the mother of the litter, and the father of the litter were both tested for DM and the results is "carrier"

Isn't this a bad thing? Shouldn't it say clear or something?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My biology isn't great, and I'm sure that one of the breeders on the forum could clarify, but I believe that if both the mother and the father are both carriers, that the chances of the litter having DM is quite high.
Again, I'm not certain, but I don't think it's a good thing if both parents have the carrier gene.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I believe Kari, 2manydogs, says that very few dogs test as "clear." Her dogs are all clear. But it isn't a high priority to have it clear yet for many breeders.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Carrier x carrier could produce 25% clear, 25% at risk (affected), and 50% carrier. Carrier dogs will not be affected by DM in their lives. The amount of clear dogs are increasing, but it can only increase so quickly and carrier dogs help get to that. Breeding only clear to clear would cut the gene pool down to almost nothing so that's not a possible solution. Also, most breeder focus more on diseases that aren't "old age diseases" so DM status may rank less important for them than heart issues.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Sahara Night answered that question thoroughly. There is nothing wrong with breeding carriers or even At Risks as long as you are looking at the bigger picture. We have been very fortunate to have nothing but clear dogs in our program so far however there will come a day when we import a carrier or at risk. I will then only breed those dogs to a clear partner.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks! I think I will pass on that breeder. I would be interested if it were at least one clear.

Regarding the other tests, can anyone tell me a sample of what results I would want to see (in a perfect world) with:

ARVC
SAS
Cardiomyopathy
Thyroid

And maybe what I would expect to see for these results in the "real, acceptable" world

·
Registered
41 Posts
the #1 killer of boxers is cancer (tumors in the heart and spleen) and there are no tests for that. Give a good look at longevity, not the parents or even grand parents but further down the line. If they live long that maybe the best test for a pup.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Well ... Vet's refer to "Boxers" as Cancer in a Box. I luv Boxers but I'd say if "longevity" is a high priority ... I'd chose a different breed.

10 years and your doing good and if your Boxer can walk for all ten of those years better still. DM took Struddell at 8.5 and it was only with a lot of effort on our part that she made it to 10.

70% of all Boxers carry the "DM" gene ... one carrier and one clear is "apparently" pretty common. KACO is the one of the few Breeders I found that have to DM clear parents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts