Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 7 month old white boxer named Rocky. My boyfriend and I are thinking about possibly getting another boxer to keep him company and someone for him to play with. Are there any boxer breeders around the chicagoland area on here? Please let me know and send me links to your websites if you have any! Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The best place to start is with your local Boxer Club..Then check out any dog shows in your area, that's a great way to meet and learn about each breeder...Also don't rule out rescue as well, there are a ton of great Boxers that need forever homes

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't know if I'm  allowed to post this but I'll try.  Interlude Boxers in West Bend Indiana is a very reputable breeder of over 35 years who really health tests her dogs.  I don't know if she has any pups in the future but I recommend her for her breeding principles.  I do think that rescue would be a wonderful way for you to go though.

Nano

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
kiahsmom\";p=\"74254 said:
that is what i was going to suggest! :D  i have not found any breeders in the chicagoland area, i look from  time to time but have not had any luck. where in chicagoland re you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no problems with getting a Boxer from a Rescue Shelter - But they usually do not have many, and there are not any near by. I live about 45 minutes outside of Chicago in the suburbs (Plainfield). I was just looking for someone to connect with in my area.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sometimes you have to travel a bit to find what you want...Samson was 4 hrs from me and I met his foster mom half ways to do our meetup. A lot of rescues foster out their Boxers so you may find something closer, but if you really want one, I wouldn't rule out driving a further distance..

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Ally\";p=\"74524 said:
I have no problems with getting a Boxer from a Rescue Shelter - But they usually do not have many, and there are not any near by. I live about 45 minutes outside of Chicago in the suburbs (Plainfield). I was just looking for someone to connect with in my area.
The boxer rebound is only a little over hour and a half from you.  They usually have quite a few dogs available for rescue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weird - every time I look on their website they only have a handful of dogs, and they usually say *adoption pending*. I will have to check them daily I guess. I am not looking to get a new dog this weekend - I was just looking for someone local to talk to until I'm ready for another.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Ally\";p=\"74556 said:
Weird - every time I look on their website they only have a handful of dogs, and they usually say *adoption pending*. I will have to check them daily I guess. I am not looking to get a new dog this weekend - I was just looking for someone local to talk to until I'm ready for another.
This is lowest that I have ever seen them, last fall they had a whole bunch but many have been adopted.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Definetly check boxerrebound.com  I am trying to convince my wife to schedule a day to look at one.  I drove 4 hours one way to St Louis, MO for Attila, and that was the best day of my life besides getting married.  The third best day was getting Daphne, and the 4th best day was getting Ramsey, but one of the worst days was giving Ramsey to my wifes boss.

Just make sure if you go through a breeder find out as much as you can.  Just right across the street from my house is a BYB for boxers, huskies, and bull mastiffs.  Her female boxer is CKC registered but selling the pups as AKC.  I have called the local animal control numerous times for their dogs running loose down the street.  She also breeds her constantly and I feel sorry for that female.  She is 3 yrs old I believe and has had 4 liters, with the last litter having 11 puppies.  She keeps asking to breed with Attila but I keep telling her I dont think so!  We have had about 10-15 people ask to breed with Attila but we keep saying no.   We would get him fixed but in our purchasing contract it states that they want him back at 1.5 yrs old to see if he meets their breeding standards.

I went way off subject...but just remember you can find beautifull boxers that will love you the same at a breeder or at rescue.  You can also check petfinder.com  boxerrebound.com or any other boxer rescue.  I even thought about driving from Illinois to Ohio if the rescue would allow me to adopt that far awa.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How far are you willing to travel?  Green Bay has a boxer rescue.

Green Acres Boxer rescue

They have an adorable 4mos pup right now. She is white boxer who is deaf.  Very cute.  They usually have a full page of dogs available.  I am not sure on this but  they are based out of Green Bay but have foster homes all over I believe.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Green Acres Boxer Rescue has alot of beautiful boxers for adoption but if you read the listings for each dog you must live within the state.  But this is what I dont get...You are willing and wanting to have another boxer that you can love, nurture, and give proper shelter too, but because you live a state away they automatically deny you.  I have sent videos of my house and written statements from vets and neighbors stating that I have the knowledge and respect for the breed and have plenty of love and space in my family for another one or two boxers.  But the only thing they say is you live too far away.  And I reply back that if they want to check on us, I will drive too them and bring them to me and then drive them back.  With the 3 boxers that I have had....even though I currently only have 2...I have drove a total of 20hours+ just to pick up the dogs from the people whom I bought them from.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Green Acres Rescue gave me the name of several breeders.  One was On Esti Boxers in Union, IL.  I also have contact with a person in Milwaukee associated with their Boxer Club.  I believe she has worked with Boxer Rebound in the past.  

I think it's difficult for families that do foster to have to drive long distances to look at a home, or transfer a dog back if the adoption does not work out.  Rescues probably also have their network of vets within a State.  It's frustrating, but there must be a reason.  Green Acres is a wonderful rescue.

Ann WI

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="NitasMom\";p=\"77183":wxa52yfb]How far are you willing to travel?

G

·
0 Posts
We traveled just over an hour to another state to buy Jetta...it was definitely worth it to find what we wanted and have to travel a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I haven't logged in for awhile and am just now reading all your responses. I am running into the same problem when I read more about these rescue centers - You have to live within a certain distance. Why? So rather than have someone adopt these animals and give them loving homes outside of their "zone" they will keep these poor guys living in a shelter. When looking at the Green Acres rescue it said they only adopt out in the Wisconsin area. I heard that there is a boxer rescue shelter in Oswego, IL but cannot find it anywhere on the internet. Hrmm?? Anyways, I'm still searching and still trying to decide if its the right time to get boxer #2.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would call BoxerRebound, and look into fostering.  The new dogs they get go to foster homes.  You might find one that you'd want to keep (adopt) later.  I believe they require a fenced in yard or Invisible fence.  I think many new rescues don't end up on the site for awhile.  Contact a Boxer Club, we've worked with one in Wisconsin and they know of owners trying to get rid of their dogs for various reasons. They are afraid of using a rescue, maybe they feel they want more direct contact about where the dog will eventually be placed.  I heard there are a large number of Boxers out there, in the newspaper, etc. who are not being bought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts