Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh, okay... Well how do I go about getting health records of them? Dating back certain generations?
You may not be able to unless you know the owners of the parents, grandparents & great grandparents of both dogs involved, then those owners would have to agree to put out the $$ for those health tests if they haven't been done already. Which I think is the point of what everyone is saying, it's just best not to breed this one. I'm sure you love her & I'm sure she's got an awesome temperament but there really is no way to know what those puppies would be like.
JMHO

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thank you Jill T. I really don't want to become a monster like some people make it seem with certain words they're using I want to make sure I take all the right steps. I truly didn't think I would end up with 10 or 12 pups.
Now when I say this I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way I AM NOT TRYING TO BECOME A BREEDER but with breeders where did they start? They had to have started somewhere. With the same questions and everything.... wanting to know when and how to go about doing things right? Didn't anyone start out like this? Have a certain breed they absolutely loved, got a great notable dog from a good breeder and started to breed and they became another good breeder?

I think most reputable breeders get their start simply by going to dog shows and meeting the already established breeders and just soaking in the experience. They talk to the breeders, ask questions, and probably find a mentor who can help them get started. From there I'd think they start out with a show prospect puppy from a reputable breeder who has extensive information on their lines history and then they get involved in the actual conformation side of things. Once that puppy is all grown up, health tested, and proven to be successful in the show ring (not always necessarily finished as a champion), THEN they consider breeding to start their own lines.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmm... I like that.
Why was a boy a better start?
It's not that a boy was necessarily a better start, it's that I had to prove MYSELF, first. Most show breeders will not hand over an intact bitch to a newbie. They watch you like a hawk with the dog (male), first & if you listen, learn & work your back end off, then MAYBE you'll be trusted with a nice bitch for your foundation. Good breeders love their dogs and want to ensure that any breeding that goes on with their puppies will only better the breed.
I traveled ALOT with my mentor (an average of 2 weekends a month), bathed, dried & groomed a bunch of her dogs. I handled some of them in the ring for her. And I scooped a LOAD of poop & scrubbed tons of expens. Showing a dog is a lot of work but I made a lot of great friends & know a lot of great breeders (all Cocker breeders). They now know that I'm no slacker & that I'll do what I say I'm going to do.
Also, the boxer pup I now have will never be bred for the same reasons that have been mentioned in previous posts. Even though she is cute & sweet & very smart, she does not conform to the boxer standard & was a rescue so I have no way knowing what she carries in her line. Moreover, she seems healthy now but I don't even have a way of knowing if she'll stay that way. 4 or 5 years from now, we could be looking at a very unhealthy girl. We are prepared for that & will love her & care for her & give her the best life she can have.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, I would like you guys to know that you have given me enough facts and information to have me decide that I don't want to do this the wrong way :)
I don't want to end up having my girl die on me nor do I want a pup produced turn up with bad health problems or for me to end u with 12 unclaimed pups :(

I would like to change the subject and have someone send me a link to find in my area how to get started as a shower :)
I'm a dog groomer now and absolutely love it. I find my job so amazing :) grooming them every day.
I would like to pursue it and become apart of something like this.
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Well, I would like you guys to know that you have given me enough facts and information to have me decide that I don't want to do this the wrong way :)
I don't want to end up having my girl die on me nor do I want a pup produced turn up with bad health problems or for me to end u with 12 unclaimed pups :(

I would like to change the subject and have someone send me a link to find in my area how to get started as a shower :)
I'm a dog groomer now and absolutely love it. I find my job so amazing :) grooming them every day.
I would like to pursue it and become apart of something like this.
Thanks everyone
That's the main reason why I could never breed. I just wouldn't have the stomach for it.

I see you're located in Missouri so I just Googled "Missouri Boxer Club" and found the following link which may help you.

Missouri Valley Boxer Club

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you want to check out local shows you can visit Jack Onofrio Dog Shows, LLC . Scroll down to find a show in your area & you'll find dates for that show. You can also click on 'closed shows' for shows happening in the next couple of weeks.
Quick tip though if you decide to talk to people. Wait until after they show & ask if you can schedule a time to come by and talk to them. I don't know anything about Boxer showing but Cocker people can be very busy at shows & you don't want to interrupt them if they are busy. I've known some very nice people to be rude just because they were distracted with all they had to get done. LOL

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would like you to know I have a date set up with an AKC showman to meet and set something because she has been looking for someone to assist. Thanks again for all the links and thoughts :) I'm super excited about doing this

·
Registered
907 Posts
I just want to thank you for choosing not to breed her. I'm sorry if I came out as harsh earlier. It's something I feel strongly about.

I would advise your friend to not breed her male either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's really awesome. I really like this article and a lot of useful things discus in this article. I agree with all points .

21 - 33 of 33 Posts