Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Ok so here's the deal, I have been looking at adopting a little cute flashy fawn puppy. My concern is that her mother is a white boxer. It's making me a bit nervous about putting down a deposit. I haven't went to see her yet but from the pictures the parents and puppies look really healthy. They are being rasied indoors so that's a big plus for me. This will be my 1st boxer.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I've also heard the same thing that is a no-no to breed a white but I'm not a breeder of boxers. I'm sure you will hear soon from others. As I have learned since owning a boxer is that they have genetic health issues. I would be concerned that the parents of these puppies have been health tested prior to breeding. I am thinking that this litter is from untested dogs from back yard breeders who love their dogs and think , yes think there dogs are healthy and beautiful but have not bothered to have them health tested. Anyway that just is my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my ultimate goal is to train her for service work so I guess I might have to continue my search. I want to find the healthiest pup I can. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
LOL a "White Boxer" you say. According to "Breed Standards" Whites can't be shown and should not "Breed." And a percentage of them are born deaf. But the "White Boxers carry the "White Gene" and without that color being in the gene pool ... "Flashes" like
"Lindar51's" Boxer would not exist. :)

I belive to get "Whites" you breed a Flashy to a White and most of the puppies will be "White??" But a "responsible "Breeder" per the rules ... would not do that. So by "default" those people are "BYB." And most likely since as a general rule ... "BYB's don't health test ... there is about a 70% chance that those puppies you saw will develop "DM" later in life??

Still as it happens 20 to 25% of all "Boxers" are born "White." So you know ... where did they go?? Well as I understand the "Whites" were always fairly common in Canada but in America .... not so much??? "Here" for a long time they were being "Culled!" You can't show them so they did not have as much "value" as there more standard colored brothers and sisters.

That situation started to turn around here in 2000 or so ... I belive?? "Blow Back" ... tell people they can't have something and that's what they want. :cry_baby:

And now we have these.:
https://www.google.com/search?q=whi...gs_SAhWHg1QKHR5SCUAQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=646

And from a Boxer Rescue group.:

Truth About White Boxers | West Coast Boxer Rescue

If you actually want a "White Boxer" from a quality Breeder ... they do have them!You just may have to wait longer??? But just look for the "White Boxer Friendly Symbol" as found here.:

Home

And "Kaco" is a member here. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,159 Posts
You gotta tone down all those quotations chip , lol

There is no white gene. Boxers come in fawn or brindle. The white is excessive flash that covers most of, if not all the body. To get a white puppy you need two flashy parents or a flashy parent to a white parent or two white parents. You will never get a white puppy as long as one parent is plain.

Breeding a white parent is very taboo. I would personally look for a breeder who focuses on health testing, raising their puppies within the home and an added bonus is work the breed or do conformation. You can also ask if they do any temperament testing and be up front and honest with what you are looking for. That way the breeder can place the appropriate puppy with you that is best suited to your needs.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
You gotta tone down all those quotations chip , lol

There is no white gene. Boxers come in fawn or brindle. The white is excessive flash that covers most of, if not all the body. To get a white puppy you need two flashy parents or a flashy parent to a white parent or two white parents. You will never get a white puppy as long as one parent is plain.

Breeding a white parent is very taboo. I would personally look for a breeder who focuses on health testing, raising their puppies within the home and an added bonus is work the breed or do conformation. You can also ask if they do any temperament testing and be up front and honest with what you are looking for. That way the breeder can place the appropriate puppy with you that is best suited to your needs.
LOL ... well it's always "something" with me ... still I trust I'm much better than in the old days. :)

OK no White Gene, excessive flash as it were. Well you would know. And since your here, I'll ask ...how often do you get White puppies??

For the record ... I felt there should have been a lot more quotations marks in this post ... but I resisted the urge. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way I love all this new info I'm learning. ? I have been doing a lot of reading about white boxers because the pup I'm interested in has a white mom. And the whole litter is flashy fawn. I have been looking at different litters and saw a example that I read. I don't remember where I saw it but it said flashy × flashy can produce white pups. Well that's exactly what I saw in another litter. So does that mean I should avoid any litters with white or flashy parents? I haven't visited any pups yet just seen pictures.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
... with white or flashy parents? I haven't visited any pups yet just seen pictures.
A "White Parent" yes if your looking for a "Reputable Breeder" that does health testing. A Reputable breeder simply would not breed to a "White Parent."

That does not necessarily mean that the puppies you are looking at are not genetically sound??? But if they are breeding to a "White" parent it does mean that "Breeder" is not following responsible breeding practice. And most likely ... they have no idea if there "puppies" are genetically sound???

If you want a "Sound White Boxer" you can find them from a responsible breeder. The puppy will cost more than the pups your looking at and most likely you will need to be on a waiting list.

Oh but the "Flashy/Flashy" thing yes ... I belive that pairing ... does produce a higher percentage of "White" puppies??? I'll still default to a responsible breeder would not do that??? Hard to keep a line going if your producing pups that should not be bred???

Pretty much that simple. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I hear ya. And no I'm not interested in a white puppy. They are adorable but was just wondering about what I would be getting myself into with either litter.

·
Super Moderator
7,159 Posts
LOL ... well it's always "something" with me ... still I trust I'm much better than in the old days. :)

OK no White Gene, excessive flash as it were. Well you would know. And since your here, I'll ask ...how often do you get White puppies??

For the record ... I felt there should have been a lot more quotations marks in this post ... but I resisted the urge. :)
I truly appreciate that you resisted :cheers:

To answer your question I get 1-2 white puppies a year. Usually in a litter where I have taken the chance and bred two flashy parents. I prefer plains, a lot of my girls are plain and my males tend to be flashy so I have limited amounts of white puppies.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Yeah,big no-no...but look at that mug!

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Yeah,big no-no...but look at that mug!

Aww she's a cutie ... I've been looking at rescues but most of the "Whites" tend to be boys and the few girls I've seen tend to be deaf. Not sure I'm up for the challenge of keeping a "deaf dog" safe.

If I had a deaf "Boxer" I'd have to use an E -Collar, to be able to communicate with them. And I don't wanna but I'd have no choice ... "SLL" only ...just would not cut it. Now if I stumble across a deaf White Boxer on my way to work ... that would be different but that's not to likely?? Struddell was the only "white Boxer" I've ever seen in real life.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I truly appreciate that you resisted :cheers:

To answer your question I get 1-2 white puppies a year. Usually in a litter where I have taken the chance and bred two flashy parents. I prefer plains, a lot of my girls are plain and my males tend to be flashy so I have limited amounts of white puppies.
1-2 that's not a lot but I knew reputable, breeders did have them. And Flash to Flashy is the legit way to produce Whites. Are they Euros or American/Euros do you have any pictures of puppies or clients dogs???

And for the record your my go to source for Breeder stuff. On GSD it's to confusing to many players to keep track of for WL GSD's. But if someone shows up here and ask about a West German Show Line GSD ... I know where to send them.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
LOL I was going to say there were defiantly words in there chip would have put quotations around !
Yeah ... it did take some effort it felt "wrong" ... but I did it. :drinker:

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
So cute! I swear boxers look like they have permanent puppy eyes. That can get away with almost anything. ?
LOL ... you are very astute! In a nutshell .. yes they do and yes they can!

The worst combination can be Men and Female Boxers! They can wrap us around there paws! Struddel had a long list of behaviours at which she excelled ... and those were "necessary" in order to keep her safe ... Car Proofed, Thresholds, Recall Sit Stay Down Walk well on a loose leash, no nuisance barking, safe and friendly in public etc etc.

To be fair my "American Band Dawg" helped in raising her but I added a "Butt load of "patience" to fill in the gaps. All accomplished free of force. :)

Struddell's contribution ... was to "exploit the gaps" in what I knew and to make Gunther's, behaviour with "company at home" uh worst?? :crazyeye:

A knock on the door meant for "Struddell" someone was here to see ... me, so it was "Game On!" All I knew to tell her was go to bed ... which she did but (unlike my Band Dawg) she would whine and plead at guest (always the men) and then the guys would "plead with me to release her becasue you know ... now "I'm" the bad guy????

Sigh ... I'd give in and ... release the hounds as it were. And chaos and "Boxer" antics ... giggles and laughter would ensue as she walked across the couch from male to male. Licking faces and causing chaos.

When my SIL and his freind came up from Ca. I was forgotten for the weekend by her (save for dinner time) ... she'd spend the night with them as long as they were here. The women ... yeah they were immune to her antics. She would sit politely for them and wait for there attention??? They would ignore her and she would say "whatever I tried ... back to the guys!" :clap2:

That pretty much always happened ...even our rather, cool fish not to crazy about dogs anyway, friend from Washington was not immune to her antics. He'd smile and laugh at her antics also.

Struddell brough giggles and laughter with her the day I brought her home in 2003. Andi n 2013 ... ten years later ... it was the day the laughter stopped. Life with my WL GSD who is not really a big fan of company in the home ... is a lot quieter ...

Conceivably this could seem like a gripe session?? But it is not, it is just an observation, that some dogs have an ability to "exploit gaps" in our knowledge. And the ... less you know the more they can take advantage of. You have to "outthink" your dog. And those sad eyes and that cute face kind of let's the (Male Owner/Female Boxer) get away with murder.

What I learned ... was that I control at home with go to bed worked ...poorly. And I could not control my guest??? Struddell exploited that gap, by pleading with company and not me?? She caught me pretty much flat footed on that one (the company thing) I had no clue how to get her to "Dial it Down" at the time??? :crazyeye:

But now I do and ironically the answer came in the form of 116 lbs of Over Size Working line GSD, five packs, a trip to the ER for me and oh yeah ... Human Aggression! Or as I termed him at the time as a "Foster Fail" and at 7 months old ... a big furry dog with a pointy face. Welcome to ... the School of Hard Knocks ... hope you have fun. :)

Hmmm getting long here ... yet again???

So to be concise what I did do with "Rocky" GSD but did not do with Struddell was train and do this.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

That is the only change I'd have made just train "Place." Once released if she wanted to go nuts with company ... as long as they were good with her ... I'm good with that as she luv'd people/company/kids/everybody. :)

Long way of saying the girls and male owners ... it's easy to get an out of control female "Boxer." But you know my next Boxer will be a girl. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts