Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a question. I am new here and have been reading things on this site to get to know my boxer friend better.  My husband and I love the breed and have just gotten our first Boxer from a women who could no longer keep her. She is 3 years old and AMAZINGLY well behaved. She was never trained in anyway (sit ,stay, walk on a leash, bla bla bla basic obedience) but she is doing well for us.

I have read in a few places here about backyard breeding being someone who breeds well...basically their dog. I plan on breeding Mazey. Does that make me a bad person? A so called backyard breeder? If so? If I am/would be considered that, then who has the right to breed? I am guessing noone. Why should anyone breed any dog then? In which case why do we all own pure breed boxers? Isn't that supporting some form of "Boxer Breeding"?  

I have been asked several times to breed my German Shepherd. Sometimes even BEGGED to do so. He is not old enough and I have not done so. I am still not sure if I will breed him ever or not.  He is only 8 months old. People always think he is older cause he is HUGE.

I understand the the thing about people breeding tons of dogs at home and just "Letting" them breed and not taking care of them..THAT IS SICK. BUT what if I want to breed my boxer. Does that make me a bad person too? I personally feel all mix breed pups should be fixed. WHY let them breed and give away their pups? If you own a dog you should watch the pup to be sure it is not breeding when you do not want it to and to a dog you do not want it too.

Does any of this post make any sence?   I am not for people just breeding their dogs, but what if I want to? Does that make me a bad person?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Everyone has the right to breed their dogs. All we ask is that they be responsible about it.  Make sure both bitch and sire have been health tested and so on.

There is a topic around here that goes into some detail about what it means to be a responsible breeder.  If you are breeding your bitch just to make some extra bucks then i suggest you rethink it, if not, then do a lot of research before you try and breed her!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I'll add a few things I have heard on this forum and from different websites I have visited.  The purpose of breeding is for the betterment of the breed.  If a dog does not conform to the breed standard or has health issues they should not be breed.  Breeding for the betterment of the breed is very expensive and should be thought through carefully.  If you find that this is what you still want to do it; have done the research and health testing I don't think anyone here would think you are a bad person.

You may want to talk to a reputable breeder in your area, they make good mentors.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I wouldnt necessarily think you are a bad person! Does she even have papers? The only reason people should breed is to better the breed and better what they already have! You should have hearts, hips, elbows, thyroid checked! To me there are 2 types of backyard breeding, 1 being someone who just breeds for money and they other being a "hobby" breeder which loves and cares for the pups ect ect.! But others may think a BYB is A BYB!! If ya know what I mean.

The boxer is one of the dog breeds that is fairly overpopulated!!  8O  I mean there are tons of people breeding when they arent suppose to........breeding whites, breeding with no papers, ect ect......

Breeders usually only breed when THEY want a puppy or 2 puppies back to further their breeding program!! Although I do know of MANY breeders whom are just breeding to breed because their bitch is in heat which I dont really like! Yes these are repsponcible ethical breeders!

Ok Ive said what I wanted to say and Im sure I could add things but at Ill leave it at that!

I know very well that breeding is an extremely touchy touchy subject and Im hoping that this doesnt get heated as it does far too often!!

Also if you do everything the right way.....you may be lucky and break even!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This area breeds mostly small dogs. I guess that is why everyone and their brother wants my German Shepherd.

Mazey is very healthy. My cousin works in a vets office. She does surgery. She actually does not like the breed due TO her work. She says they are a great dog, but have SO MANY problems. Cysts and such. However she did not stop our love for the breed even after her telling us this.

I WILL NOT breed Mazey if she is not healthy. She is more important. I have always wanted to breed boxers.  I am a dog lover. I am weary of breeding her so I will be talking to the vet on her and such before doing so.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
LOL Barb I guess I took too long to type lmao I basically said the same thing as you :lol:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Mazey even if you find a REPUTABLE small dog breeder in your area Im sure they can help you!! They dont necessarily need to be a boxer breeder!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just for the simple fact that you are asking questions before breeding your boxer is a pretty good sign that you are not a bad person. People in general who breed their dogs are not bad people, just unimformed and probably did not do a whole lot of research before hand. Everyone has the right to breed. We, as boxer lovers just hope that people that do breed are doing it to better the breed. It is because of BYB's and puppy mills that the boxer breed has been declining in it's standard, either in looks or temperment. Reputable breeders take the time to research, health test, finish in the ring, and choose only those dogs that excel in the breed standard to breed. Here are a few links for you to read through to help you answer some of the questions that youmay have. Welcome to the forum, and please feel free to jump right in and ask any questions and share your experiences and tips with us all.

http://www.leelostpets.com/Should%20You ... %20Dog.htm

What health screening should your boxer have prior to breeding: http://americanboxerclub.org/health-screening.html

What is a BYB: http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/back_yard_breeders.htm

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=842

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree with all that is said-i just want to add one more thing. I agree with Anna that these discussion can get heated so please dont take offense to this because there is none meant-There is a difference in a healthy dog (a dog never being sick, never having joint pains, ect ect) and a dog that has had the necessary health testing. Please if you do breed make sure that you do pay the money to get the heart, hip and all other health testing done. Is she registered?

Good luck and please keep us posted- and no you arent a bad person. As tootsie said the fact that you are asking questions is a good sign that your girl does matter to you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, Tootsie beat me to it as I was going to post the thread that I had started about breeding. Read thru it and be brutally honest with yourself..Are you willing to do what is necessary to ensure that you have healthy pups? Whelping is not for the faint of heart and best to have someone else there to help you. A mentor is a great thing to have as well, they can guide you on what needs to be done, what to look for in a stud, etc...Breeding just because you have a great looking dog and want to pass on certain traits is no guaranty. You have to look at the stud's breeding as well. Rhonda, Angel's breeder has been very helpful in teaching me a lot, and I learn daily on here new things as well. It's not about money, a reputable breeder is looking for pefection, or as close as they can come. Wanting to have that boxer that everyone looks at and just stares at the beauty, that's what it's all about.... :)

Sorry for getting a wee bit long winded, rather a passionate subject with me and a lot of others as well....Welcome to the forum and hope this all has been some help to you....

By the way, your Mazey is a lovely girl  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
RoxyGirl22\";p=\"19127 said:
LOL Barb I guess I took too long to type lmao I basically said the same thing as you :lol:
Great minds think alike :lol:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
LOL BarB!!

ChloesMom~ My name is Cindi!!!!!!!! Anna is my daughter LMAO :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...My neighbor breeds Yorkies. I have asked her what vet she recomends.  I know when it comes time that she will help me.  I came on this board to do the research on the dog in general. I have done a lot over the years, but she IS my FIRST that I have actually owned. I have owned German Shepherds my whole life.  I am still unsure of breeding Mazey, but I will continue to look into it I am sure. Breeding her was not my reason for getting her, so having her alone is great. I got her as a gift to my husband only secretly I have just fallen in love with her myself.  We have wanted one for 8 years now, and she came along and I could not resist even though I told my husband NO boxers. I knew we would be getting one one day. Here she is and is GREAT.  She is GREAT with my children and my GSD.  My son who is 15 months sits on her and she just lets him. SHe is SOOO good natured. ANYWAY enough about that... Being new to Boxers if anyone has any advice on them feel free to share with me. Thanks~Heather, Mazey's new mommy

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't think you should breed her. Just enjoy her as your wonderful pet.

What are your reasons for wanting to breed?

·
Registered
186 Posts
i dont think it makes you a bad person at all.  as long as you have her tested witha vet that she s in good health and has a good health history and the sire as well i see no probelm in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts