Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i was just wondering if you were to breed a white boxer to a white boxer would you have just all white puppies or would you have brindles and fawns to please let me know thanks holly[/font]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello it is not to start a war i was just curious what would happen if you do...Why is it wrong and unwise and unethical and unacceptable just out of curiousity..Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its unacceptable due to the fact that whites are undesirable as per the breed standard, which was essentially created by the people who developed the breed.

White boxers can be deaf, and in breeding them - even those who are NOT deaf - you can produce deaf offspring... including deaf colored dogs, because breeding whites CAN essentially cause the pigment to be diluted in even colored offspring. As well, there are other recessives that CAN be linked to color, that can cause potentially more problems in the offspring.

Its simply not a good idea, and breeding two dogs with the knowledge that you will LIKELY produce offfspring who have a higher chance of a health problem is what makes it unethical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Unacceptale due to the fact that whites are undesirable as per the breed standard, which was essentially created by the people who developed the breed."  

Hmmmm, did you know White boxers have been a part of the breed since its beginning.  And the first dog registered in the boxer stud book in 1904 was sired by a WHITE bulldog. That would be the people who developed the breed.  In fact, white was an acceptable color in its early days. They were used as guard dogs, but deemed unsuitable to do their job as a guard dog because the white could be seen clearly at night and it wasn't until after they were banned from "suitable" was it discovered that the pigment MAY be to blame for health problems (i.e. deafness).

And isn't it funny that even acceptable colored boxers are producing all white boxers that are in fact deaf...yet people continue to breed those boxers...

I'm not necessarily agreeing with breeding the whites, but I have to say that everyone that sees my dog, many of them boxer owners, adores the fact that he is white and find him beautiful...hearing and all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much for making that point...I have a white one to and everyone adores her very much...There is nothing wrong with her at all...I was just curious about what would happen...I have breed before and had a white boxer and she wasn't deaf either..It just depends but they make excellent family dogs either way... :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn't by any means attacking you or your knowledge of the breed, nor was I saying that they should breed. There was an innocent question posted and your responses seem to make white boxers below the rest, when thats just not the case, and I was defending that.

Have a wonderful day guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i must say you are right about white boxers . i can remember when white and flashy was not a good choice and sold for junk.now look what they done.rare, flashy,high dollar.but they are still boxers. and need a good family to love,play,and protect.even if white i would not kick them outside to fend for them self.because its still a boxer one of gods gift to us.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Breeding white boxers brings along with it the possibility of further spreading deafness throughout our gene pool. Breeders need to breed to better the breed, and knowingly breeding dogs that carry the genes for deafness is far from bettering the breed.

Anyone who wishes to further educate themselves on the procurement of deafness within a given breed's gene pool please reference what Dr. Strain (largely considered to be the current leader in the area of canine deafness as is related to color) has to say on the topic:

It is my opinion that white boxers carry a version of the regulatory gene that causes over-expression of the piebald gene, producing heavy white color, blue eyes, and deafness. Breeding these dogs back into the boxer gene pool will very likely increase the overall incidence of deafness in ALL boxers (white or otherwise).
Taken from: http://www.boxerunderground.com/bu2000/ ... boxers.htm

White boxers make wonderful pets, companions, agility and obedience dogs, but they should never, ever be bred, period.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i  have seen some people get a white stud . because they want flashy pups... so my question is to you guys . IF you wanted flashy pups would it be ok?

·
Registered
744 Posts
No. It's never "okay" to breed a white boxer. If a breeder wants flashy puppies (consequently, color should be the last consideration when trying to produce happy, healthy boxer babies) they need only to breed a flashy dog to a flashy or plain dog.

No matter what, when breeding a flashy dog you'll likely get flashy puppies.

If you breed flashy to white, you're more likely to get white puppies.

Breeders should only be breeding to better the breed; or in attempts to breed the ideal boxer, as is outlined by our detailed breed standard.

First and foremost consideration, as I mentioned above, should be health, temperament and conformation to the breed standard. These three aspects are measured in a variety of ways. Health testing of all breeding stock should be done; this includes a full thyroid panel, 24 hour holtor monitor, Echocardiogram/Color Flow Doppler, and OFA Certification or PennHIP radiographs. Conformation to the breed standard is measured by having the dog objectively evaluated by a judge at a dog show. Temperament can be measured by attaining therapy dog certifications, CGC Certificates, Certification via the American Temperament Test Society, or Obedience titles. Dog shows are also a good way to rule out improper temperament.

Bottom line (aside from deafness) is that the white coat color does not conform to the breed standard, and the breed standard is the picture of what the "ideal" boxer should be. Given this, breeding the white boxer does nothing to improve the breed.

Unless a given breeder is doing the above things to "measure" their breeding stock, and basing breeding decisions on the results, they have no business breeding, period.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Health testing of all breeding stock should be done; this includes a full thyroid panel, 24 hour holtor monitor, Echocardiogram/Color Flow Doppler, and OFA Certification or PennHIP radiographs. Conformation to the breed standard is measured by having the dog objectively evaluated by a judge at a dog show. Temperament can be measured by attaining therapy dog certifications, CGC Certificates, Certification via the American Temperament Test Society, or Obedience titles.
Good info BurningRiver!

·
Registered
11 Posts
why should white boxers never be breed? my puppy i just bought her dad is a white boxer and she is great. not to bemean just asking.

cherokee and summer breeze

·
Registered
60 Posts
Read the past posts for the answer - and not to burst your bubble, but the person who bred your puppy IS UNETHICAL and its a shame you supported ethics that poor. (Especially assuming you educated yourself on the breed prior to purchase.)

I would tell anyone who is seeking a puppy to NEVER purchase from a breeder who WOULD breed a white. They ARE unethical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Read the past posts for the answer - and not to burst your bubble, but the person who bred your puppy IS UNETHICAL and its a shame you supported ethics that poor. (Especially assuming you educated yourself on the breed prior to purchase.)

I would tell anyone who is seeking a puppy to NEVER purchase from a breeder who WOULD breed a white. They ARE unethical.
Well now, seems some things never change, your as rude as you were before.

·
Super Moderator
7,046 Posts
Way to come back 6 years later and voice your 2 cents :chatterbox: lol. I went back and read your very brief 4 posts on this forum and just want to let you know that the views of the forum are still the exact same. Breeding will not be discussed or encouraged unless you are a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Way to come back 6 years later and voice your 2 cents :chatterbox: lol. I went back and read your very brief 4 posts on this forum and just want to let you know that the views of the forum are still the exact same. Breeding will not be discussed or encouraged unless you are a reputable breeder.

EXACTLY.

Thanks for coming out though ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts