Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Bringing Xena to work...kinda nervous.

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Mastray 
#1 ·
Ok, so a few weeks ago i posted about getting a pet trainer position at petsmart. Well, I got the job and have been working with the area pet trainer for the past week and a half. She's really amazing at what she does. She's not just your average cookie cutter dog trainer from petsmart. She does shows, obedience training, sheepherding, and agility training with her own dogs. She's an AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluator. She goes to seminars and conferences...and she's only 22 (and a royal B**ch.) Yesterday as we were leaving work, she told me to bring Xena in as the demo dog for our classes tomorrow. I warned her...she's very hyper. She replied, "That's ok. She won't be by the end of the day." My problem is that I've seen her dogs who are absolutely amazing (she has 3 Shelties)...so well trained and well behaved. Compared to them, Xena is a spazz. I'm afraid she'll be the first dog kicked out of PetSmart. Anyhow...wish me luck!

#2 ·
No worries, if she knows dogs like she does, she will know what a boxer is like!!

I took an adult manners class with Hanna.   My first class was a nightmare since all the other dogs were like robots and mine was off the wall.   Then the instructors were like...Oh its a boxer.   If you get stressed out and nervous like me, your dogs feeds off it.  

I then would have a drink before class to calm me down since I would get so frustrated all all the robots and my psycho lets play dog.   However it went ok, they advised me to repeat the class because they felt I did not have control over my dog.  

I did not because I felt they did not understand boxers and went to a private trainer to work sessions.   Two months later we passed our CGC and they were surprised.

So good luck, no need to be nervous, she will do fine!

#3 ·
Xena may surprise you; Kiah is a different dog at obedience classes, its like she knows that this is business and not play.  Do well Xena and best of luck.

#4 ·
That sounds very interesting.  Lets see if she is as good as the Dog Whisperer lol.  Hannah is right though, our dogs will look to us for answers and feed off of our energy.  If you are all excited, nervous, and freaking out, your dog will be the same.

Be calm and assertive.  I'm sure everything will go fine.  Xena just might make the trainer earn her pay.  Have a good day and report back to us.

#6 ·
If you are all excited, nervous, and freaking out, your dog will be the same.
So true, I can leave my dogs with my fiance who will relax on the couch and they will sleep the entire time he is watching golf or whatever.

I come home (I personally cannot sit still) and they are off the wall.

Hence why I will never be a owner/handler in the confirmation ring.  Now in Agility sure, because you are always moving and directing the dog, and not trying to make them still while a judge looks at the dog.    :oops:

#8 ·
Xena may very well surprise you! I found when Samson was used as the "demo dog", the trainer got way more out of him than I did...She sounds like she also has an open mind about boxers, some trainers incorectly classify our babies as slow learners...Wrong answer! I ran when a trainer told me that..

The only issue I had, was Samson was the largest dog in the class and I still wasn't sure how he was with other dogs, so the first couple classes, I kinda sat off to the side a bit..Fast forward 2 mos later, he couldn't care less who was around him, just give him attention & treats and he's a happy boy....

We are rooting for both of you  :)

#13 ·
I hear you loud and clear Hanna.  Although I did show my Afghans, I usually wound up hiring a handler for them.  I loved the grooming part and getting them read to show, but the minute I stepped into the ring with all the "big guns", my confidence went to zero and I couldn't remember my right hand from my left, or hear what the judge was saying (or usually motioning with his hands and if I was the first in line....... oh gosh, I just wanted the earth to open up and swallow me whole.  That's why I liked obedience and search and rescue with the Dobies, and lure coursing with the Afghans.   Each breed has it's own sport to excell at.  Deep down in my heart of hearts I would love to show, but I'm scared to death to do it.  I need training classes, not the dog lol.

#16 ·
i work in an office and everyone keeps begging me to bring in Betty.  I could probably have her here all day - but I'm super nervous to do that as well! The thought of her here for even a few hours makes me nervous!  Although we are a relaxed environment, I (and others) need to get work done, and I'm worried that she may be too young (6 months) to bring her in.  I thik I have to wait until she is able to just sit and chill...and since I've gotten a boxer, I may be waiting for a very long time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.