Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the vet with Brodi and I was telling him he kept scratching at his ears, they did a swab and my little guy has a yeast infection in both ears. I also talked to my vet regarding the lepto vaccine and he highly advised Brodi get it. There has been over 100 cases in my area and at least 90 cases were a strain the vaccine covered. Our vet was very impressed with everything I was asking about the lepto and asked me how I knew so much about it, of course I told him about boxer forums LOL . He seen how nervous I was over Brodi having a reaction to it so he gave him a shot of Benadryl and a pain pill but I am still sitting here nervous as hell something is gonna happen to him. The most shocking part of the night was when they weighed him..OMG he weighed 17.9 lbs and he's only 10 weeks old today. I almost fell off the chair! he was just there 11 days ago and weighed 13.8 so of course I got worried I was over feeding him but our vet said he is perfect.
Question tho, and I did mention this to the vet and he said if it keeps up he wants to do a urinalysis on Brodi. Does anyone's puppy drink a lot of water?? his housetraining is going great but my goodness can he drink a ton of water!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Water is needed to digest - since kibble is dry they drink water to help aid in digestion.  I would not worry to much, some drink more than others but just keep an eye on it.  As for ear infections - common in pups.  Their immune systems are weak and are prone to things like that.  Did they give you a cleaning solution to use on his ears and a drop to take it away?  

With a young pup I would add some stuff to boost his immune system - like a salmon oil, or any omega 3/6 oil to his kibble.  Add sardines, canned makrel.  Things like this will boost the immune sysyem helping him fight off things that make him sick.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got ChlorhexiDerm to clean his ears and Zymox ear drops to use for 2 weeks then they want to re swab and see how his ears are.  I give Chloe Salmon oil and that was going to be my next post. How much would I give Brodi? I'm slowly switching him over to the Timberwolf ocen blue now and so far so good!  BTW ..Ty  :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Mic always drank a ton...we worried about bloat, tried to keep him from running around too much after drinking...but, he's done fine! Now, Pua could drink either boy under the table!LOL! Sorry to hear about the infection! :(  That is a bummmer...but, my goodness, 17#'s Whew! Healthy boy baby!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Poor Brodi, my sister's English Springer is prone to ear infections and gets them all the time.  Wow Brodi is growing fast but then he may go in phases with no wait gain for ahwile.  He sure is a cutie.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Brodi feels better quick!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
awwww Brodi...i hope he feels better...mine still drink unreal amounts of water....i clean & fill both bowls every morning and by dinner they are empty..i guess thats good lol

boy Brodi is growing like crazy lol..hes going to be a BIG boy !! hehe..

Isis is prone to the yeasty ears ! we use the Epi-Otic every week and it works great ! plus salmon oil in food...

G

·
0 Posts
My dog at my mom's house- Simba has a constant struggle with yeasty ears..they smell bad and have icky discharge...from what i can tell, it's normal in some breeds of dogs- boxer and golden retrievers are two that I know of.  Jetta is a water hog...she gets more excited when I put the water down than she does when I put the food down, lol...and that is crazy...almost 20 lbs at 10 weeks?!?!  Jetta was like, 10 lbs at 10 weeks, lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts