Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was sitting w/ dungy when i looked at his nail and saw this... i dont know what to do... SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking that but it hurts him when i touched it and i am worried it will bleed cause it almost seems like it is growing

G

·
0 Posts
well...I wouldn't want it growing in the way...so the only thing I could think of is to remove it...yes it may bleed a bit (esp. if the crack is up near the quick) but it would be better to clip it and clean it with antiseptic than for it to get caught on something and rip off, bleed all over and get infected...at least it would seem that way to me

·
Registered
374 Posts
do you have some kwik stop?  It would allow you to clean up the split nail with less fear of  bleeding.  I'm sure it does hurt but that makes sense considering it is still attached at the base but moving freely, that has to be uncomfortable.  If you can clip it close to the split it should reduce that discomfort.  Just avoid clipping anything that looks like it has a vein inside and continue clipping it as it grows out.

If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself you can always see a groomer or your vet.  With your vet though you may get a visit charge but they're usually not too expensive and if you're a regular client they may actually waive it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i need to go pick up his heart worm pill tomorrow so i might as well take him and have them do it cause i dont wanna hurt him and the vet would have everything to fix it

·
Registered
374 Posts
regarding what causes it I'm clueless.  Would love to hear if anyone has information on that.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can clip it off but it won't be easy since it hurts him.  It will feel better when it is cut off though.  You can wait and have the vet do it but try to keep him from catching it on something.  I have had a couple of my dogs have this happen too in the past and they do fine once it's trimmed off.  Maybe sore on it for a day or two then back to normal.  Just keep him on some level terrain like sidewalks etc for his exercise till it toughens up.  You can put baby sox on to cover it from snagging but it is tought to get them to leave them on.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Tink had that happen to her once, we just clipped off the end piece, then it grew back quite nicely, although it grew back a little weird lol She doesnt seem to care about it though. But it is defidently painful, i know that for about a month she wouldnt let anyone touch the whole foot.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ouch, poor Dungy, that does look painful...Tia tore one like that as well and as I don't clip nails I took her in to the vet as it was soo far down and let them clip it...Yes, she was a bit sore for a few days, but nothing major.....Give that sweetheart a nice hug for me and try a sock on it, maybe that will protect it a bit til you can take him in....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you did decide to clip it yourself you can also use corn starch to stop the bleeding.  The other night Tabs came into the house and she split her nail while she was playing outside it was bleeding like crazy...a little corn starch and it stopped.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good idea on the cornstarch.  It is benign and of course they always have to lick everything off!

Nano

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
went to the vet and he pulled it right off and put some neosporin on it... all better now lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts