Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Well I just had an interesting morning, and now I need some support and advice :( Chance had been coughing all throughout the long weekend, but I hesitated to call the emergency vet clinic because his appetite was normal and he was just as playful as usual.  Anyway, I took him to the vet this morning and he had chest x-rays done.  Turns out he has bronchitis and the starts of pneumonia.  He is being treated for a bacterial infection at the moment with Doxycycline.  The vet does not believe it to be viral as he has not been around any different dogs recently, and neither of the other dogs in the house are sick.  I of course got home and started to research it on the net a bit, and now I am getting a little worried.  Has anyone ever dog with this infection?  I am worried because I know how serious it can be.  How would he have gotten this? Other than having allergies he is a healthy 3 year old boy, I feel so bad for my little guy :(  We have to go back in next Thursday for another chest x-ray and to see how he is reacting to the medication. If anyone has had an experience like this I would appreciate some feedback

Thanks in advance,

Kym P.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kym, I am so sorry to hear this. I personally don't have any experience with this, hoping someone else on here does. All I can do is send some good healing vibes & lots of boxers hugs to you & Chance. Keep us posted, ok?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
My little Henry just got over an upper respitory infection that could have turned into pneumonia.  Luckily we got to it before it did.  Our vet said it was because of all the recent stress.  He left his mom and litter mates for the first time on Dec. 18, was neutered and brought to our house on Dec. 19, and then it turned cold and rainy.  But he is just a baby.  I can't imagine why an older dog would get it, unless there is something else wrong.  We had a dog once that had heart worms and that weakened his immune system and he caught my cold.  We treated him for the worms and the cold and he was fine.
Hope this helps without giving further grief.
Hugs and best wishes.
Zhanna

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the hugs and wishes :)

Chance seems to be doing well, other than having coughing spurts, he really isn't showing much discomfort.  I let him sleep on my lap all night, and have been making him special rice and beef dinners as a special treat.  I also sat in the bathroom with him for an hour while the shower was running (The vet suggested a misting machine, but I don

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Chance is feeling better this morning. Give that boy extra hugs and smoochies from me and Maddie.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update -

Well, so far so good.  I love my vet!!   :D  She pesonally called my house last night to check on Chance.  This is not the first time either, she has called to check on him after almost every visit.  I guess I am lucky, because I have heard alot of people having troubles with their vets recently, and how hard it is to find a good one.  Anyway, his breathing has been pretty good, and he was playing like crazy last night.  

He is very hard to read, sometimes you can tell when he is feeling very sorry for himself, and other times, like this, other than the coughing, you would have never known that anything was wrong.  The day I took him in for the visit, his only symptom was the coughing.  After seeing how cloudy both lungs were, and that he was running a low fever I was amazed   :eek:   Anyway, we are keeping a very close eye on him, and I will keep the updates coming.  

Thanks again for all the best wishes  :bsty:  

Kym P

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow Kym, you do have a great vet...House phone calls!!! How cool is that....Give Chance a big hug for me & hoping he keeps getting better...Boxxers are hard to read when they aren't feeling good, they tend not to let you know when something is wrong, unless it's really bothering them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update -

Well, things haven

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Kym & unfortunately I don't know of any alergists to recomend. I think your best bet is to do an internet search..I can ask a few people I know & see if they have any suggestions..If I find out anything I will let you know...

Keeping you & Chance in my thoughts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope you get all of this figured out. I know how horrible it is when our babies aren't feeling well. Sending out ((((getbettersoon)))) vibes to Chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts