Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thursday, Bruce will be going to the vet to get neutered.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Re: Bruce's Manhood

It shouldn't cost that much.  Duke was the same way and I think it cost $100 tops.  And it took Duke about 10 days, well he was up and running the day after I got him home from the vet (he had to stay over-night) but they aren't supposed to be active for like 10 days.  

And Duke still loves going to the vet.  I would take a really good treat with you when you go pick him up, that will help.  Our lab mix didn't like the vet after she got spayed but she is getting better.  I think it depends on the vet too, the vet that we had when Duke got done loves boxers so she gave Duke extra love when he came in so he always liked seeing her.

·
Registered
942 Posts

It was around 300-400 for Kaci, but she had to have all the test and be all the special machines due to her size (they weren't sure about her heart and such).

·
Registered
403 Posts

Yea I would check out some other vets..........$500.00 bucks it really expensive in my opinion.
2 weeks is supposed to be the recovery time but if you can really control his activity real well for the first full week you should do well I think. It's hard to keep a puppy from being a puppy!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Nexu is correct.   Kash was up there for the longest time and we have to massage it alot to fall down.  Finally came down at 8 months!    But I was quotes a higher neuter is a missing nugget, but def check around too.  I use Kingston Animal Hospital, they have  been very good to me.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

ha ha ha ..  Yep, you could feel in in his abdomen.   I could pop it out with a finger, but it would go back into hybernation.   Was told you can try to massge it thus stretching the cord to allow it to fall.    So there, while watching CSI I would massgage my dogs balls. :no:    Breeders recommended it, so worth a shot, and low and behold, not even sure if it was as a result my wonderful massage tactics but he is now a two nugget man!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'll pass on the information to Nicole about the massaging.  To quote Ron White "The dog barely leaves me alone already!"  

I think i'll leave that decision up to her.

·
Registered
696 Posts

Wow -- are you sure you don't want to evaluate prices on other vets in your area?! 8O $500 is really expensive! I'm getting Prada spayed this Thurs. too & hers is going to be around $150-$160... and I know males are typically cheaper, b/c there's less envolved w/their surgery. However, seeing as how both aren't descended, this could probably be where the extra cost comes from. Well, either way - he has to have it done, right?! Good luck -- hope all goes well for him!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

I think some are just more expensive.  The vets where I live now quoted Felix $300-450 for a normal neuter.  Needless to say we went back to my hometown and got the laser surgery done for less than $150.
I do not, know how much extra would be charged for the undescended testicle, but surely its comparable to a spay??
How old is Bruce? maybe you can wait for the other one to drop or massage it into place  :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

He's 7 months now almost 8.  I think massaging is out of the question.

·
Registered
275 Posts

One of Tucker's nuts refused to show itself either.  I just looked in my file and it cost $125 to neuter him - he was 7 months and weighed 39 lbs.  He refused to leave the incision alone and had to wear a head collar for a week afterwards and had a bit of a harder time coming out of the anesthesia, but other then that it was your standard recovery time.  

The only thing I don't like is they had to make a really long incision because the little bugger could have been hiding anywhere in the abdomen, so there is a long scar.  But he's beautiful to me anyway!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Bo didn't need the cone, just the crate...he was trying to run rough house, play jump etc THE DAY OF THE SURGERY...so he spent about 3 days in his crate and 1 on a leash..then we gave up and he's fine...I'm sure Bruce will have a long recovery since it is "exploratory surgery"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Bruce's Manhood *update*

Well he's at the Vet as of 8:15 this morning.  They said they will have to make 2 incisions to go in and find the other hidden one.  Also, they failed to mention the cost of bloodwork and antibiotics in the price.  I think we are looking at around $550 to 600$.  I know I should've looked around but I like to stay with the same vet and they treat him very well there.  I might call the GUINNESS book of world records (not the beer aquagirl) and have a page for the most expensive neutering surgery.  If he gets to come home tonight i'll post tons of pictures with his cone.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

When he gets home, give him a hug from Kiah and me.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Hope all goes well for Bruce today.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts