Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm copying a comment by aquagirl from another thread so as not to hijack that thread....

"When we first got Jetta..the guy told us that boxers are exactly like pit bulls and that they are bully breeds... "

This is the second time this week I've heard Boxer referred to as a "bully breed."  A Boxer owner at the dog park made the same comment, saying that because Boxers are a "bully breed" they need a heavy hand in training.

Anyway, I'm puzzled at Boxers being described this way.  What gives?  (Or am I the one who's in the dark here and they really are a "bully breed?")

AnnA

G

·
0 Posts
if i recall correctly, bully breeds are breeds that were bred from bulldogs...such as pits, boxers, am staffs, staffs, etc...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There is a certain amount of truth to that...Here's a little excerpt from Wikipedia regarding that:

The small, so called Brabant Bullenbeisser is regarded as the immediate ancestor of the Boxer. In the past, the breeding of these Bullenbeissers was in the hands of the huntsmen, whom they assisted during the chase. Their task was to seize the game put up by chasing hounds and hold it firmly until the huntsman arrived and put an end to the prey. For this job the dog had to have as wide jaws as possible with broadly spaced teeth, in order to bite firmly and hold on tightly. A Bullenbeisser which had these characteristics was best suited to this job and was used for breeding. Previously only the ability to work and utilization were considered. Selective breeding was carried out which produced a dog with a wide muzzle and an upturned nose."

United Kennel Club breed history breed history

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Bulldog is an ancestor of the Boxer; various terriers were also part of its make-up, which gives the brood its speed, agility and more graceful body. The term

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
To me I believe "bully breed" has two meanings.  There is like aquagirl said about being decendent from the bulldog breed and then there is the bully breed that are the dogs that are "known" to be aggressive.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
http://www.americanboxerclub.org/boxer_history.html

I was trying to look for one of the books I bought before purchasing Odin. They explained a lot of this really well I thought but can't seem to find it. "Bully Breed" doesn't mean "aggressive" dogs but because of the misconception I do think it has taken on a different or another meaning. Maybe because a "bully" is some school yard tough guy? Bully Breed basically means dogs from the bulldog family. I wish I could find my book that had a great explanation. There is also a magazine called Bully Breeds. We got it at Petsmart (though I've seen it many places) on the cover was a boxer and talked about them and training... all kinds of great stuff. It's been a few months but maybe it's an annual magazine cuz' I've still seen the boxer cover. I don't find it a bad phrase at all! I'm very proud to claim Odin as a bully breed!  :D

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
my girl here is a Pit breeder..incredible reputation around the world,speaks out against BSL and Fighting..& breeds for all temperment..to IMPROVE the breed

...and she calls Isis her bully girl..introduces her at meets as her 'other" bully princess...invites us to all pit bashes..etc..b/c she sees boxers as cousins to pits...she even has pics of Isis with her little daughter & her big 156 pound male pit on her website..informing people about the similarities and differences between breeds..i have made many friends through her that own different bullies...pits, americans, boxers,  etc...

i have had a pit, american bully and now a boxer...and the personalities are similar in some ways and very different in others..in my experience

i loved all 3 ...but i have to say Isis and other boxers i know are the goofiest silliest & most loveable...although it DOES depend on the owners and also the tolerance of the dog..pits have less tolerance for idiots lol and american bullies have a little more but not much..

G

·
0 Posts
I don't mind them saying to me that my baby is a bully breed..but for them to say she is exactly like their pitts etc...and seeing their horrible dogs, it kinda offended me at the time, lol.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah it would me too not the bully breed part but when they say they're EXACTLY LIKE PITS. Not that all pits are bad but I would have to disagree that they are EXACTLY alike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
[quote="Ky_IsisnOnyxsMama\";p=\"87074":3jxxhb65]my girl here is a Pit breeder..incredible reputation around the world,speaks out against BSL and Fighting..& breeds for all temperment..to IMPROVE the breed

...and she calls Isis her bully girl..introduces her at meets as her 'other" bully princess...invites us to all pit bashes..etc..b/c she sees boxers as cousins to pits...she even has pics of Isis with her little daughter & her big 156 pound male pit on her website..informing people about the similarities and differences between breeds..i have made many friends through her that own different bullies...pits, americans, boxers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts