Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd let you guys in on my scary story of the week and ask that you keep Lilly in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow:

Around the end of last week, I notice a bump on Lilly's chest.  I just thought it was a new skin tag, but I decided to make a mental note about it to ask the vet to check it when we came in today.

So Lilly has appt (60.3 lbs, 22.75" high at withers, healthy, happy and well behaved) and I remembered to have the vet look at her skin tags and then the new bump.  The vet says she is worried about it and that when Lilly goes into surgery tomorrow (spay before her heat cycle next month) she will do a biopsy and if it comes back irregular that she will remove it, call me and let me know what she did, and recommend a course of action.  She (vet) said that a lot of skin cancers look like the bump on her chest, but that I shouldn't worry about it yet because it's only one spot and they are gonna biopsy it tomorrow and if it is cancer then they will likely be treating it in the earlier stages because I noticed it and had them check it out.  I love it when a vet tells me I'm a good mom, but I wish they didn't do it when telling you that your baby may have skin cancer.  Other than that her visit went great and they said she is one of the best behaved, most calm service dogs that they've seen or had in the office.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lilly is two yrs and 4 mths only (whelp date 2/11/2005).  Rather than have them do the biopsy and after speaking with her breeder, I have opted to have the lump removed and then biopsied so that if there are any abnormalities, we may choose an appropriate treatment plan.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  These two surgeries will also take Lilly off duty for a week to ten days, so she will be planty rested and a seriously pampered princess.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Liz I am so sorry to hear this..I'll be keeping the lovely Lily in my thoughts and hoping all goes well for her....Hugs to both of you...I'm curious about something, the skin cancer is it sun related? I know you use a sunscreen on her, so I was just wondering if it's like the melanomas that we get....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good Luck tomorrow. I'm glad you are having it removed. Better to just take it all in one shot than to go and have it cut a second time. Better also because she will already be under for the spay. I know we worry so much about every little bump and tag they get, because they are boxers and are prone to all of these types of cancers. Buster had 4 tags and 2 bumps removed at one time and they all came back benign. So just hang in there, everything will be fine. Nothing but {{{{positive vibes}}}} being sent your way. Let us know how she does tomorrow.  :wink:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet doesn't think so, but we won't know s=for sure if it is cancer or not for another few days.  I'm having it (the bump) removed as a precaution and we are having it sent to the lab for biopsy ASAP!  I want to know if she needs treated for something or not.  If she has cancer, we will treat it to the best of our ability and to her tolerance level.  This may take her out of commission as a service dog!!!  That would completely suck, but I will do whatever is necessary to keep my baby healthy!!!  If it means getting a new dog to train for service work then so be it!!!  I don't mind adding a new member to my family...would you?

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
We also got Lilly in our thoughts and prayers.  I had a biopsy down on Chloe this past winter and it was the longest 15 mins I ever had to wait! But it came back fine and went away on it's own within a week. I hope and pray this is the case with Lilly. Good luck Lilly!!  :pray:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Any updates on Lilly yet???

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet...She's at the vet now, but they will call me when they are done with her surgery.  We won't be able to pick her up until after 6:30p our time which is o'dark thirty your time, so you guys probably won't even get the update until tomorrow morning your time.  We won't have the results back for the biopsy for around a week because almost everything that has to go to a lab here has to be sent to the mainland (even for people).  So this is gonna be a really scary week for me.  I have a lot of patience, but not where my kids or dogs health is concerned.  I want them better and I want them better now.  

I'll let you guys know as soon as I know.  Thanks for all the prayers, thoughts, and healing vibes for Lilly!!!

We appreciate it!!

Liz (flying solo and scared today) and Lilly (in surgery for spay and mass removal today)

·
Registered
46 Posts
We will continue to send you vibes throughout the week, give that sweet girl some love from us when you pick her up tonight.  You both are in our thoughts, I know how hard the waiting game can be. ((hugs)).
-Suzanne and Poe

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:  

Lilly came through surgery fine and is recuperating at the vets office at the moment.  I'm going to pick her up at 6:30p my time.  We will know the results of the biopsy in around a week.

Guess what... I found three Boxers on Maui at the Humane Society.  One is a nine year old female (yes I am considering taking her) that is in poor health (bad skin, skinny, heartworm positive etc...etc...), a five year old male in pretty good health that is heartworm positive, and a two year old flashy fawn w/ black mask female.  They have offered all three to me (holy crap!!).  I don't think the hubby would go for it though.  I would really like to rescue the 9 yr old female though.  Get some weight on her, treat her heartworms and skin issues.

What do you guys think???

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So glad to hear Lilly came through surgery without any problems, give her a hug and kiss for us.

That's awesome, the other two may find homes easier but not many people will take an older dog especially if they have health problems.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts